Sketchbook: Contains attempted Figure Studies 4/06-6/23 small update nothing too great
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Contains attempted Figure Studies 4/06-6/23 small update nothing too great

well, people have have been asking where my sketchbook is ,so let's see , here are a few things that I've managed to scan.

Well, Last week ? two weeks ago ? I went to the bookstore and got an anatomy book someone mentioned in a group. I did a few quick sketches from the studies in it one evening. on this page eye lips skull.

ah yes, the Moon Goddess of ancient greek mythology which I did a little bit of over a couple days (most of it in one day) a couple weeks ago or last week ? I don't know, I just barely got to scanning it.

I'm yet to add a background ^

and here's an oldschool peice I found in my photobucket that I did a long time ago.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ThereSheIs.jpg
    {Edit : I know what I did wrong in this one , I drew the staff/weapon before I completed her arm. I'm going to get to this concept later and fix this.}

I wonder if I should reduce the sizes of them a bit more before I post them here ? let me know.

~Mr_S_14
    thanks for visiting.
    4/19-5/04/'06

Last edited by Mr_S_14; June 26th, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
    ~"With a little hope, and alot of try, anything is possible."~
    ~"The harder You work, the better life gets."~
    ~"The pain doesn't last, but the gain will last forever."~
    ~"Fear is my courage." ~Mr_S_14
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, nice finally good to see some of your work, yeah keep working from your anatomy book. Nice studies, keep em coming Mr.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there dark twin did a couple more today,I'll try to post them tomorrow. And Thanks for visiting my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering looks tight on that anatomy-studies, but very flat, also. Try to push the contrasts more. Oh and study everyday. That helped me also. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey, great start and welcome to SSG#17!
    I add you to my Sig as son as I can..
    anyways, Great start! ;D keep on it!
    your faces are 100 times better than mine! so keep on it !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there my friends from SSg#17 and CA, how are you this morning, well, it is still morning I suppose. I did these two sketches a couple days ago. I'll most likely ad one or two more this afternoon. and then for the Next week I'll probably be hanging out with my family, and beleive me, it has been a while. I keep sketching, and hopefully will have a hoard of work to show you all .
    Darktwin; Hello there Dark, I'll keep working on those anatomy studies, and thankyou for the support.
    Faust ; I've noticed lack of depth as well in my work, especially anatomy, I probably just needed someone else to say something , I know I'm already thinking about contrast alot more now, thankyou ~Faust~.
    Dile; cheers , I always put way too much time into the faces, I try to fix one thing, and another part looks off. I can get everything else down pretty quick compared to the face, I have the same problems with the hands. hmm, portraits and hand studies perhaps ?

Oh yeah, and here are the sketches I promised earlier. and then it's back to drawing for me.
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...4/3131a82f.jpg old figurestudy

Thanks, and I don't mind comments, don't be shy, you know something came to your head when you saw this stuff, share your thoughts.

~Mr_S_14

Last edited by Mr_S_14; June 26th, 2006 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heads as well as hands are defined by their structure. Actually, there's little variety between different people in their structure, but little mistakes are getting that much more obvious. That's the reason animal-studies are easier to make believable. Your hands show that you haven't got an understanding of the basic bone-structure of the hand yet. This is very crucial when drawing hands. It's the same with the face, also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, the hand in that sketch is... well, I don't like it. I'm working on sketching my hand right now. the problem is later when I draw hands I'm worried they'll look a bit too much like mine, I know I'll have a better understanding of hands though, so whatever.

Last edited by Mr_S_14; April 21st, 2006 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the moment I try to build up prototypes for all kinds of things. I have a prototype nose, a prototype face-form, a prototype of a neck, and I'm building up several more prototypes, hands are one of them.

I notice when drawing people on the streets that I memorize only the things which vary from my prototype. The one person may have extra big eyes while having a standard nose, the other may have especially bushy eyebrows or more asian structure.
    Same with constructing people without ref. Without any prototypes in my knowledge, I'm completely lost.

So I guess it isn't bad to have a basis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, when I first began to understand facial structure I did something a bit like that, this past while though I haven't been able do that, maybe it's because I haven't tried recently.

Last edited by Mr_S_14; April 21st, 2006 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do a lot of anatomy studies, all the sketches suffer from a lack of knowledge on the human anatomy.

When you practice drawing your hand and carry that knowledge over to your illustrations...just remember when drawing a woman's hand that they should look more slender and elegant. Study how other illustrators handle their hands as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep the sketches coming. I agree about the studies for anatomy, but also do simple light studies, for example, light a ball and study how the light effects the forms, see where the main hot spot hits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed on anatomy studies. Proportions need workin'. Shading looks great though! But, I'd prolly hold out on the shading till you get those proportions mastered, it helps. Thanks for postin' in my sketchbook!

Keep crankin'

"Wigga Wigga Nutshire"
    "How many quarters are in a dollar?"
    "...half and half, kinda like the cream, but I don't like coughy..."
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to say that hasn't been said - anatomy needs work, shading is looking pretty good but could maybe use a bit more contrast (although I know a lot of scanners kill contrast a bit).

The anatomy in this one isn't perfect, but I really like the concept. Are they characters of yours, or just something random?

Nice start, keep on going!

Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitherines
    Do a lot of anatomy studies, all the sketches suffer from a lack of knowledge on the human anatomy.

When you practice drawing your hand and carry that knowledge over to your illustrations...just remember when drawing a woman's hand that they should look more slender and elegant. Study how other illustrators handle their hands as well.
    Very good advice, this is excatly what I'm doing right now, drawing hand studies from mentler, Bridgeman and other illustrators, it helps to see how different artist draw. great advice Smitherines

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some more nice stuff in here, ehm.. your away or something ?
    I want some updates man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most of you will like this next update.
    Thanks SMitherines: I will remember that. Yes, I do lack knowledge of overall anatomy I think you'll like this update. Here comes the anatomy.

Thanks Matt Smith: hmm, you may be right, I have trouble with knowing where to put light sometimes.

Cheers Immortal: I have a question. Do you wear a lot of armor? It always seems like Immortals wear a lot of armor... hmm. I may be mistaken. Well, it is the week again, so I think I'll get back to those Anatomy Studies. Thankyou again Immortal.

Thank you very much Chisa: nah, the concept isn't mine, I used reference from picture of a little statuette of an ancient greek goddes character. I couldn't make out the details so I put in the basics and went from there. I've always been a bit interested in Mythology ever since elementary.

Thank you for posting Darktwin.

Yeah Dile, I wasn't really away, I was just very busy this past week and a half, not much time to upload even though I really wanted to.
    Thanks again everyone.
    ~Mr_S_14

Well, I have a few things to scan so I'll start here, Remember 2 weeks ago when I said I was doing a few hand sketches, well here’s my hand, bones and all.

Well, just before that, I went outside and attempted to give life to a flower for a few more days... yeah, was more like two, here's a sketch of it that I did after right the hand sketches in a little shot bottle full of water.
    ]
    * A moment of silence please * "May it Rest in peace... or pieces"
    Some Sketchiness that I did with a bit of help from a new art book I got .
    These next two are quick studies and sketches that I did One evening/morning that weekend. (maybe that night ?)

And the Muscle Types...not counting the triceps which are up there--^--

More on the way... scanning takes time... I'll resize these also ^

Last edited by Mr_S_14; May 3rd, 2006 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Muscles / Anatomy.
    I spilled a little coffee on this one just before scanning it... sigh. ah well.

My limited drafting skills helped a bit.

Skull Study OTW.

Last edited by Mr_S_14; May 3rd, 2006 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really thought of Chisas' advice to use more contrast quite a bit on this one, and am very happy with the result. I haven't labeled it completely, however I decided to scan it anyways.

Ohh ,My self portrait:

hmmm... I forgot the skin.

All crits and Suggestions are very much welcome.
    Also when it comes down to Gesture or movement I don't know where to start , any suggestions ? I would like to do some sketches. I've heard alot about Loomis ?

thanks .
    ~Mr_S_14

Last edited by Mr_S_14; May 4th, 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey 14, how've you been . Really nice update today man, I'm really liking your anatomy studies. And how your trying to learn the names of the muscles and such. Its really good to draw the underlying muscles like your doing to understand how the muscles underneath the skin flow and the structure of the bones also. But I think your on the right track as far as gesture is concerned. Hmm, but how to start gesture is the problem. Loomis is a good sources if you know where to download his library. Check the lounge there have been a few threads with links for downloading them. Bridgeman is a great source because I feel his style of work has a nice gesture quality. But for me personaly I draw a quick circle for the head, then an egg shape for the rib cage (representing the torso) then I go from there with the limbs (legs and arms). Check out mentlers work, He has some really good examples of gesture. I'll try to post a step by step process to how I do a quick gesture. Now the way I do it isn't perfect, because I'm always looking for ways to improve my gestures also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the Loomis books, 'Figure Drawing for What It's Worth' is the one that deals with guestures (and the one that I'm veeeeeery slowly making my way through). It's easy to understand and well illustrated, its helped me quite a bit so far.

Great anatomy studies, a good understanding of all the pieces should really help. Your bones seem to be your strongest work to me, especially the hand skeleton and the skulls, very nice shading! Hope to see a self portrait with your skin on next time

Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darktwin and Chisa, Thanks.
    Darktwin: Thankyou Darktwin , Hope to see your step by step on how you do Gestures , no rush, no worries. I'll be looking out for it though.
    Chisa: Thankyou Chisa, I think this will be very helpful, http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis. hmm... actually, I don't really have a way of opening it. I'll look into it it a bit more tomorrow .

~Mr_S_14

Last edited by Mr_S_14; May 5th, 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not a bad start on everything here, but you can move alot further if you check your distances once and a while. You look like you can see things correctly but you should pay more attention to the relationship that these things have with each other.

for example, when starting up a sketch, really concentrate on how far other parts are away from certain parts of the body, like shoulder to other shoulder, shoulder to side of neck, side of neck to bottom of ribcage, and the triangle that they form.

just try to change up your thinking for a bit, and think more in terms of relationship than textural accuracy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, you got some nice work lately, hopefully you can recapture what you draw without using the biology book
    And grap yourself a mirror and try to find all those muscles in your own body will probably help, also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mr s 14 thanks for checkin out my digibook.

yours is coming along, good anatomy studies.

my suggestions are to study and draw shapes more, overall your work has this flatness to it, but I think your building up quite nicely.

OH yea, and someone above posted the link to the LOOMIS BOOKS series, but personally, I like having the book in hand, anyways Loomis is the way to go to learn from one of the great masters of the past century. Study it, Draw it, Love it!

==================

Sketchbook 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello Skivvy, I appreciate the tips and suggestions, I'll work on it.

Hello there Faust, how are you, Thankyou for supporting my sketchybook, heh I'm working on recapturing things without that anatomy book, though it's good to have for a quick little ref. It's not as useful as I hoped it would be, it is useful though just seems to be missing a few things. I saw another anatomy book at Barnes and Noble that looked like what a want; Gestures , things like that.

Hi Nightmare, Thankyou for checking out my sketchbook =) yep, lates last night I ended up drawing spheres and cubes, and whatnot while watching a movie... sigh. I'll have to watch that movie again though.. lol when I draw , nothing else exists. not even sounds.

Are Loomis' books still in print ?

And now a quick little update :

Thanks everyone. I'll have more up next tuesday.
    ~Mr_S_14

Last edited by Mr_S_14; May 5th, 2006 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey 14, joined ssg 17# (so add me into the sig ok? )
    Really nice pencil u got going in here.
    Nice to see that u study anatomy, know its boring as hell
    but it will pay off in ur drawings ater, alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, come update, man! It's been 2 weeks already! Last update looking goooooood...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perspective drawing, and a study/copy Of a portrait done by Michelangelo ? I may be mistaken.
    here is reference, I did this for another forum Master studies or adopt an old master , something like that http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3..._14/OMFACE.jpg

This one is A copy of Michaelangelos Copy of "Sagra Del Carmine" by Giotti or Masaccio Along with a few scribbles

Same

A Snail Shell Study from different angles.

Michaelangelos David, attempted drawing of the face

He looks more angry than focused.

Thanks for Visiting, Tips , Conctructive Crits, etc. are all welcome. quick greetings, whichever.
    ~Mr_S_14

Last edited by Mr_S_14; May 27th, 2006 at 02:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that's what I'm talking about Nice studying

About your pencil shading: It seems like you use a lot of erasers and such to render, I'd suggest you try yourself at hatching more, because in the end, it'll get the better result and is applicable to other medias as well (ink).

Again, what I tend to say everytime these days (:/), pay more attention to structure! The micheangelo-portrait has some serious issues with the eye heights, it's quite unsymmetric. Help yourself with guidelines until you are sure of yourself.

Keep it up man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.