Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37

Thread: Despair

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 84 Times in 56 Posts

    Despair

    Men´s Mystery.
    Men is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
    Why do you not despair?
    So... why?


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Ned Guest
    This in itself is a delusion due to a sort of tiredness, a collapse of perception if you will. You know like someone who has had enough of something then tells everyone else it is stupid.
    Existentialism huh?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    australia mate
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 79 Times in 25 Posts
    Despair is for emos and goths.

  5. #4
    Ned Guest
    .......? I'm sorry WTF are you talking about?
    Care to expand on that bud?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    because there are more fun things to do

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,447
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
    Theres no failure in death...
























    Unless youre goth.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    australia mate
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 79 Times in 25 Posts
    I would, but I'm fresh out of psuedo-intellectual BS.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,447
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waronmars
    I would, but I'm fresh out of psuedo-intellectual BS.
    Youre unbalancing my shakra with you nega-waves.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia.
    Posts
    1,148
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 258 Times in 130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightKirtar
    Youre unbalancing my shakra with you nega-waves.
    It's chakra, man. Chakra. Not that I really care

    On topic, I'm too lazy for despair. Why bother?
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 24 Times in 5 Posts
    What was the question again?
    Simon Lissaman

    www.simon-lissaman.com


    My portfolio review thread can be found here.

  12. #11
    Ned Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by waronmars
    I would, but I'm fresh out of psuedo-intellectual BS.
    you never knew any, that's all kid. And what sort of topic is this any way? you can't really expect an intelligent response from the same old lounge Troglodytes now can you..8)

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Santiago
    Posts
    1,795
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 134 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned
    you never knew any, that's all kid. And what sort of topic is this any way? you can't really expect an intelligent response from the same old lounge Troglodytes now can you..8)

    You are planning on being a dirty 400 pound bitch all the way...aren´t you?

    An intelligent person knows how to lead a conversation, you however are still bitter about losing an argument, wish if you were as intelligent as you claim, would have won.

    Please NED, shut up and draw.

  14. #13
    Ned Guest
    hahaha nice. I'll be back though... you'll see

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 24 Times in 5 Posts
    mmmm....dirty 400 pound bitch....yummy...
    Simon Lissaman

    www.simon-lissaman.com


    My portfolio review thread can be found here.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    10,430
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waronmars
    Despair is for emos and goths.
    plus war's not a man.
    and it clearly says "MEN's mystery"

    as for myself.i despair way too often but more because of my art and financial loss.
    Sketchbook

    Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]


    Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,823
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Well lets see.

    I'm not dead: check
    I'm not a failure: check
    I'm haven't lost anything: check


    I'll despair when I'm dead.

    Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren


  18. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    with Dagon
    Posts
    1,016
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 473 Times in 187 Posts
    Well the arguement goes:

    Oh woe and sadness! Life is meaningless and death inevitable. We are all born to die, beauty destined to decay, and all that waits at the end is a clammy hole in the ground.

    Response: Yes, you are correct on each statement. Life is meaningless and death inevitable...ok take a deep breath...now you can move on from that. The ones who dispair are the ones who cannot see beyond those statements. Our lives have no fated purpose...Wonderful, you are not bound to some prescripted trajectory. You create your own purpose and meaning that is applicable to you. Death is inevitable...yup, just like being born, everyone dies. It could be in 10 minutes it could be in a 100 years...wallowing in despair over something inevitable seems like a pretty enourmous, self-satisfying waste of mental energy to me. I believe the Dali Lama said, "If you cannot do anythingto change a situation, there is no need to worry about it. If you can do something to change it, then there is also no reason to worry. It seems existential despiar stems from getting hung up on the intransigence of beauty and human life. Life itself is far from intransigent and seems to cling on in almost impossible situations (like the 700 degree water spewing from the black smoker chimneys on the bottom of the ocean) So accepting that it will be gone, why not celebrate it while its here? Sure good things never last, but niether do bad things, everything passes.

    From Albert Camus' "The Myth of Sysiphus"

    "One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night filled mountain, in itself forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

    The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

    Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

    "Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

    "Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,173
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 101 Times in 37 Posts
    Of course what you don't know is that Cthogua is driven by the terror of the prospect of the Great Old Ones eating his soul.

    [edit]

    But yes, it was a great post.
    My suggestion to the thread starter - read Carl Sagan's work and realise just how beautiful the spiral of existence is.
    Last edited by Snarfevs; April 19th, 2006 at 10:06 AM.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 168 Times in 123 Posts
    Great post Cthogua. Some very cool quotes in there. Gives people who lie on their ass all day no excuses not to be drawing!

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    557
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked 379 Times in 118 Posts
    I'm glad I'm mortal. I'd hate being immortal.
    We all fail many times before we succses.
    We all loose something we like, during our lifetime, might be people we care about or objects were particularly fond of.
    I see no reason to derpair, so I don't

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    GA and the world
    Posts
    4,500
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 122 Times in 63 Posts
    Cure for despair: the optimism/pessimism that it can always be worse.

    Other things to consider:
    Annoying people will also die
    Ugly will fade, too
    Living forever = paying taxes forever


    Death is just nature's way of telling you to slow down.

    Oh, and failing shouldn't be a cause for concern. Failing and not learning from it, however, should cause great distress.

  23. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,347
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 121 Times in 71 Posts
    Men´s Mystery.
    Men is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
    Why do you not despair?
    Personally, I think men have personality disorders.

    I'd rather be around women.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

    "Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 233 Times in 8 Posts
    Shit. At first glance I thought this was an entire thread about me.
    These grapes taste like Fresno! -- Steinbeck

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    284
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 98 Times in 27 Posts
    Modernism: Have we reached the limits of human achievement?

    Post-Modernism: We have reached the limits of human achievement and nothing matters, so why bother?

    Post-Post-Modernism: We have reached the limits of human achievement and nothing matters, but who cares! We're here so let's keep going!

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,023
    Thanks
    2,164
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Isn't that a bit of Elder Scrolls lore? A letter from a Dremora to a mortal man if I'm not mistaken.

    http://til.gamingsource.net/book_daedra/

    Scroll down to orange text, last few lines. Since it's written by a being that will never know true death or true loss, I think the argument that we should despair because we will eventually feel loss is moot.

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Lyon
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    despair=bad
    drinks, sex, painting=good
    SKETCHBOOK: Darkos Darkroom // BLOG: darkos asylum

  28. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Next to Black Pyramid
    Posts
    865
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 84 Times in 46 Posts
    cure for despair = punch a goth in the head.

  29. #28
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Imp Head
    Shit. At first glance I thought this was an entire thread about me.
    Took me a while...

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    1,989
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    If death, loss and failures are absolutes, then why despair? Because you'll still fail, lose and die whether or not you waste your life away in despair. Everytime you succeed, win and escape death...its an "up yours" at the big guy. That's what's fun in life.


    Weather is good, go out and get some sun.....and don't think so much
    ********************************
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

  31. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 84 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville
    Isn't that a bit of Elder Scrolls lore? A letter from a Dremora to a mortal man if I'm not mistaken.
    Yes it is. You win.


    I don´t think we´re necessarily mortal.
    Loss is relative. Considering you come into life with nothing, you have nothing to lose.
    And failure is definetly not certain too.

    Well, I disagree with all that so don´t see any reason to despair.
    But I like to ask such questions anyway.

    I agree with dfacto. 8P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Teen Challenge 151: Despair
    By Aksel in forum Teen Challenge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
  2. Despair
    By Nibras in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM
  3. SketchBook: JPC's Sketchbook of Despair
    By JPC in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: June 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
  4. Art: Despair.
    By hlagos in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 6th, 2008, 03:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.