Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A 12 year old Kid's SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Welcome to the forums!

Some suggestions on faces...

+Study the anatomy! The skull especially. Understand the structure of the skull and of course the muscles. Also when youre out and about, or even if youre just in your room, study faces, take a look at how the muscles and bone structure that you studied applies to them.

+Whenever you can,draw other peoples faces from life, or draw your own face by using a mirror. When youre waiting for a bus or something, draw the people around you or when youre in school at lunch or something,draw your classmates. I suggest though taking a look at some of the other sketchbook threads here. Study how they do the sketches from life. You dont have to be like super 100 percent on it. People move,and theyre not going to sit around for 3 hours so you can draw them (unless theyre models or something.) so get the important stuff, like proportions and facial features maybe. Just keep doing tons of them. You'll be slower at first,but as you practice it more you'll get faster. oh and JUST FOR FUN, dont let them catch you drawing, so they'll be at quite a natural position. Also, do this for studying bodies and whatnot. This works for studying the positions and the rest of stuff too

+ If you cant sketch, go ahead and study facial features, like the difference between the american/european eye to the asian eye. More importantly though study the proportions. Such as, the top of the ears ears usually aligning to the eye brow line and bottom of the ears to the nose.

+ Search the forums, the sketchbook forum is just one of them. There are TONS of threads here that will help you. Just search a bit.

Trust me, faces are loads of fun. You just have to really work.

Hope this helped. Keep drawing and updating

-Dished

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome. Nice stuff...hope to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dished
    Hey man! Welcome to the forums!

Some suggestions on faces...

+Study the anatomy! The skull especially. Understand the structure of the skull and of course the muscles. Also when youre out and about, or even if youre just in your room, study faces, take a look at how the muscles and bone structure that you studied applies to them.

+Whenever you can,draw other peoples faces from life, or draw your own face by using a mirror. When youre waiting for a bus or something, draw the people around you or when youre in school at lunch or something,draw your classmates. I suggest though taking a look at some of the other sketchbook threads here. Study how they do the sketches from life. You dont have to be like super 100 percent on it. People move,and theyre not going to sit around for 3 hours so you can draw them (unless theyre models or something.) so get the important stuff, like proportions and facial features maybe. Just keep doing tons of them. You'll be slower at first,but as you practice it more you'll get faster. oh and JUST FOR FUN, dont let them catch you drawing, so they'll be at quite a natural position. Also, do this for studying bodies and whatnot. This works for studying the positions and the rest of stuff too

+ If you cant sketch, go ahead and study facial features, like the difference between the american/european eye to the asian eye. More importantly though study the proportions. Such as, the top of the ears ears usually aligning to the eye brow line and bottom of the ears to the nose.

+ Search the forums, the sketchbook forum is just one of them. There are TONS of threads here that will help you. Just search a bit.

Trust me, faces are loads of fun. You just have to really work.

Hope this helped. Keep drawing and updating

-Dished
    This is a good post.

Some nice stuff for a young-un, and welcome to CA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face thanks

Thanks guys, I'll start after I finish my homework! And it something.. I'm hungry

EYES HERE I COME!!!

Rolo°°!!°°

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there rolo! nice sketchbook, Haha, Interesting signature you have, but why shouldnt I figure it out digitally and then try it out differently? the question is, if tablets where available to da vinci or van gogh, would they have used them? XD aight aight, now i'll give you my two cents. your great for 12 years old! just keep drawing no matter what anybody tells you, try to stay motivated. my best advice to you is to study the world around you, really dig deep and Observe it, people, things, there contours and values and everything that makes them reflect through your retena into nerve endings and what not into your brain. : ) keep it up m8, KEeeeeheeeep it up. : ))) *uber smileee*

My attempt at baking eyecandy.

I'm Here to make friends! Befriend me I buy you sweets yes yes!

My Icecream Filled Sketchy book.~

~ERILAZ~CRAZY3DMAN~SEPULVURTURE~THEGREYPENCIL~HALO'S CHAIN~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Back in BIZNESS :yayca: (hope the yayca smiley works)

Ok..not so many updates... no excuses..here are some..from alot! only that i draw in skool..now that i get straight A's..im a little lazy to do anything..anyways..some facial studies..very...brief..im tired..ill try to update more later..(one good thng of my lazyness..i havnt been in the pc..in long time..meaning i am not getting any paine in my back! awsome!! and i have been practicing more my drums..(drumset))
    rolo..
    kk here they are..
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1922.JPG
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1887.JPG
    this one..above..is messed up cus..i tried to do facial stuff in a body..I didnt practice at all..I didnt even know about.eyes and stuff..so it sucks..just putting it up..cus after all this is a sketchbook...
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1883.JPG
    3 more
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1926.JPG
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1924.JPG
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1923.JPG
    and 2 more
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1929.JPG
    http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/...9/DSCN1928.JPG

kk thats it for now..later people..ill try to update more offen..dont scold me on that..but if u have to..yell at me..I gotta have it! I feel so dead...lol tired bye..
    later
    bye
    ciao
    adios
    lalalalalala

]I HAVE To go te bed so I won't delete the links but I will add the pics IN IMG so people can be pleasured...

HOPE UR HAPPY PEOPLE!!!

Last edited by Rolo; May 1st, 2006 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, you seem to be posting the URL instead if IMG on your posts. you should probably reconsider doing that. sorry, i dont mean to be an ass. but yeah, you arent bad for a 12 year old. the stuff that is visible isnt bad. just keep with it and you will see yourself getting better and better. As you get older your eye will develop and you will start to completely throw down man. Just draw from life and dont give it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic job rolo! Great start however I'd like to see more male figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL....i arnt drawing male figures yet...but soon enoigh..u see im drawing females eyes and lips..in my studies..so first when i get done with females..males are coming into the picture!
    thanks ewing
    as for motch ur such an ASS wat the hell! lol jk thanks..im too lazy to put IMG...
    but ill try lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    rolo, You will NEVER get "Done" with anything when comes to art...
    Not even Mentler knows everything about females..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not to be a creeper (though i guess that's how this'll end up) but are you a guy or a girl? because when i was a kid and was drawing, i had 0 interest in drawing girls (i'm a guy) and just drew spiderman and things like that all day.

so don't worry about drawing what you're not comfortable drawing; in the end, you want to enjoy yourself. eventually you'll come to a point where you foresee yourself enjoying yourself more by drawing things that are challanging and provokative (stupid spell checking) rather than withing what you understand as your capabilities.

just don't rush yourself and burn yourself out is all i'm trying to say. and i'm pretty sure no one understood me till this last sentance. meh

'sine scientia ars nihil est'
    Fail early and fail often.

New Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! You're making progres, and that's making me glad on the on hand for you, and damn afraid on the other hand for me

If you want tips from me, I'd suggest, before you study facial features, such as eyes, mouths and such, get the skull-structure inside your head, first. Imo, that's far more important. Keep it up!

Oh, and please compres your images, 200KB per image will make your thread a hell to load!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys..ok i try the skull thing out today..but my damn skool has been piling me up with tons of projects now that the year is almost over and I am gonna be going to Junior high or 7nth grade for the first time..im in 6sth right now..

DILE: ...thanks u for the hellpp..
    Mengel: well the thing bout girls..im a guy..and well u see i am not perverted but when i drew my doodle when i sucked..i always like the anime eyes..manga eyes watever..and then i got into female anime..then figured out i suck.. and stopped drawing came back and decided to complete the unfinished..so i decided to study girls..and i think its harder to draw girls than boys because..well the curves and stuff is confusing stuff..anyways like dile said im not done with anything..but wat i ment was "i got the idea" im a guy and if its wierd drawing girls for u..well i donno..i drew them because i got inspired by them..hell im 12 years old..that doesnt mean i have no right to draw wat i want..i dont remember who said this i think it was faust or mentler..or someone..."nude art can be drawn and seen by children, and everybody else" in other words..i can draw wat i want.. u see..as i said before..I for one can only draw when I have an inspiration..females..clicked that button on my head telling me DRAW U STUPID BUM so..thats it..
    if u dont feel comfortable drawing nude females..or females..well..donno wat to say
    and anyways i dont like drawin fanart..or other made up characters..never did..i like drawing, CREating something Unike something special..and thats..that... ...(that was alot of writing... )

kk
    now Faust
    Faust: Yup yess i am!! thanks dude!! im glad u like it! and..yeah..ill start with the skull thing..if i can today cus i have so much damn things to do..plus i have drum practice..well actually im just going to band..
    very soon ...
    kk
    phew! im hungry ill go eat something..
    brb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man youre doing alright for your age
    my real criticism is that you dont post many images and only urls which nobody wants to click on, next dont just stick to one theme. Draw a lot of real life stuff and work from refs to you can just improve your drawing skill.
    but practice is the real thing, so make sure you do it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, you should look into the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It will help you learn immensely.

And do less homework, but more drawing. Trust me. I worked my ass off to get high honours in Jr. High. I realise now, in my junior year of highschool,that it was an utter waste of time and had absolutely no impact on my life. As long as you understand what you're doing, don't bother doing homework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! your pretty good for 12 years old! Enough practice and you'll go far. Now I'm no professional, ( i gotta stop saying that so much) but my advice is to try to draw EVERYTHING even if you think you'll suck at it. All different body types, people, things, animals. never limit yourself to just one thing.

"...and riding it using convenient... comet saddles....."

--

with the weeds of the sea / that wrap 'round our knees/ and a sun to hot to go down /you come around

--

My DA gallery | E-mail me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy hey again

no update in a long time.. I noticed that.. Well I havnt drawn, but worked a little more on programming and HTML and mmm I have a rock band and staright A's which paid off for alot of my studying my band will play at a party soon and yeah. (the party is a week from yesterday)

ok here is a pic i made yesterday remembering what faust said along time ago...
    and
    i thought that i will try to get back to drawing and this was my pitiful attempt
    people want no links so u cant see it really big with good quality but u can still judge it...

rolo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice skull Rolo but try to skip the guide-lines paper, and
    use a real sketchbook! Were r u btw =? your never at msn :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmmmmmmmm... Well, if you are staring drawing again after such a long time, I'd suggest some easy things, like hands or faces. Or overlit spaceships in 3-point perspective.

But the skull does it also! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dude...

thanks wat
    does the 3 point prespective mean..ehm yeah thanks! back to drawing well yeah I guess but i have nothing to draw... Im done with hands I hate em! go back and look at me old ones and man have i gotten good a html
    Later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, when you draw, dont just draw parts of things, draw the entire figure. this will seem difficult at first because your proportions will probably turn out funny for a while, but it will really pay off if you keep doing it. this is something that i had to learn also, so i know where you stand right now. keep it up dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if anyone has told you this yet, but you really ought to draw from references when drawing the human figure --- just 'drawing the whole figure' over and over like Mitch suggests above won't help you get it right unless you are drawing it the right way, over and over.

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ssssssssss

mitch= thanks yup ill try, and be specific next time when u comment
    runecaster= wat mitch said, Gotcha! and if u read, i used ref for alot of those figures!

GUYS THANKS FOR THE GREAT CRIT!!
    and I'll update as soon as possible mitch and runecaster right now im trying to do some facial studies so, no full figures for sometime and im scared too, people reading dont say "u brought this on urself for not practicing" people im 12 years old damnit im not saying so u people be amazed, 1 year ago i sucked sucked like hell no teacher at all i learned all on me, im 12 i like to play outside i cant draw forever. ** ** ** ** ** But Im scared because i havnt drawn a figure in a long. time.

thanks for reading people
    im not sure wat to draw next so im stuck, any suggestions of wat facial features i should improve before I DO THE!!!! FACE OF A HUMAN?!?!?
    thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What up rolo? Thanks for visiting my SB bud. Answering your question, I am 18. I wished I had been so intent on art when I was your age. I honestly thought I would do something with engineering or computers, but that bored me. My advice to you is not much different than anyone else: DRAW, DRAW, and when you get finnished with that DRAW some more. Humans learn the best by trial and error. I have been frustrated many times, some almost to the point that I gave up. Those experiences have only made me stronger. I know that I still have those days ahead, but diligence and determination are the key. Always be motivated to pick up the pencil or pen and draw whatever you see. Pour over anatomy books and find reference images. I learned these things after doing it the wrong way. Drawing from imagination is great but people need to have the basics of anatomy down cold if imagined characters are to look real. You have a great start for a 12 year old. One thing I want you to do is not give up and tackle the things that give you the most challenge. Doing this will improve your skills the most. It's not something that will happen overnight, but over a number of years. Yeah thats right - it's good your young because if you are serious about art, you are in it for the long haul. Whew, that was a lot of ranting Peace man, and keep learning.

//////

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job rolo, as In your skull picture draw the complete skull. Start your sketch with basic shapes and then add detail. It will help with proportion. just trying to help.

SKETCH BOOK OF AWSOMENESS! CLICK HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rolo! Good start, and it's great to see you starting so early.
    You've gotten some good crits, listen to them. Learn the body's proportions (I'd suggest Loomis), draw from referances, biuld things from basic shapes. Another important thing is the frame of mind. You have to realize that your not just drawing a two-dimensional line, but using it to suggest a three-dimensional form. Also, Try and draw everyday. I did, and if I hadn't, it would have taken me months to figure out what I learned in a week. It's summer, you can set aside an hour or so every day.

Keep at it man!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    please update with pictures... your sketchbook getting boring, really boring rolo... please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah...please

SKETCH BOOK OF AWSOMENESS! CLICK HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo
    12 years old damnit im not saying so u people be amazed, 1 year ago i sucked sucked like hell no teacher at all i learned all on me, im 12 i like to play outside i cant draw forever.
    Seriously, you need to stop making excuses for yourself. It will do nothing but hinder your progress. I'm 17. I'm not a terrible artist because I'm young. I'm a terrible artist because I don't work hard enough to live up to my potential. If you want to write your potential off because you're 12, fine. But you're just setting yourself up for mediocrity, I'm afraid.

If you need to make excuses for not drawing at 12, it probably isn't for you - assuming you want to do it for fun or as a potential career path. If you don't look forward to drawing or have fun doing it, what's the point? The way you talk about it now, it sounds like a chore to you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.