Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts

    Why do you do art?

    I'm a creature designer myself, and draw not for love of art itself [I find it frustrating alot of the time, and havn't been in the so called 'zone' much], but because I love designing alien life, and making [or trying to make] biologically and scientifically sound creatures. I actually hate art theory, life drawing etc. and find it rather uninteresting.

    My question is, who here likes art for art's sake, and who enjoys designing and working out new concepts more than the execution? Does anyone else not enjoy art theory and practise?

    If you don't like the theory, what drives you onwards anyway?
    Last edited by Reality Forge; April 18th, 2006 at 08:51 AM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    693
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 25 Times in 7 Posts
    Life and everything that mimics it is what inspires me,
    I enjoy drawing the things around me, and animating them when i get back home.
    I am curious enough to be inquisitive about the theory and history of art but i'd never study it.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 168 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Forge
    I'm a creature designer myself, and draw not for love of art itself [I find it frustrating alot of the time, and havn't been in the so called 'zone' much], but because I love designing alien life, and making [or trying to make] biologically and scientifically sound creatures. I actually hate art theory, life drawing etc. and find it rather uninteresting.

    My question is, who here likes art for art's sake, and who enjoys designing and working out new concepts more than the execution? Does anyone else not enjoy art theory and practise?

    If you don't like the theory, what drives you onwards anyway?
    Thats a helluva quote to post here dude. I for one, love art theory and life drawing. Gaining insight into the mind of nature is an amazing feeling. And yeah, designing scientlifically sound creatures is what most of here are all about. But without knowledge of how to render, draw or paint light, texture, form, etc.. be it 3D or 2D, how the hell are you gonna present and communicate an effective design that is clearly understood by people?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts

    No offence intended Kian

    Thats why i posted this - I was never really that into art itself, but rather science. At school i would try to distance myself from the imprecise world of art by saying I was a 'designer' - rubbish of course!

    Now, I have left school and are discovering if I want to be really good, I will have to face the hours of drawing hands, chairs and other objects so that I actually know how to render fictional creatures.

    It was quite a disturbing revalation to me, but I will do it, because I love drawin' aliens!

    So now i have started drawing from images of any animal I can get my hands on, with a pencil and paper.

    I don't want to offend anyone, I just find it hard to reconcile my scientific interests with the art world.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    It gets me up at 5:30 in the morning, it keeps me up until midnight.

    It walks me to school, it drives me to work, it leads me to parks, it sits me down on buses.

    It introduces me to people, it takes me to parties, it studies with me in libraries, it goes out with me to movies, it reads books with me, it buys me CDs.

    It wakes with me, it sleeps with me, it showers with me, it eats with me.

    It moves my hand, it directs my eyes, it supports my thoughts, it inspires my emotions.

    In short, it is the best lover one could have. It is a rare and constructive passion that moves me through life and has given me much, much more than the many hours I have put into it.

    It is a good companion to have, as it is always present no matter where I go but obscures nothing in its residence and in fact enhances everything I experience.

    I used to question my involvement in the creation of art, until I started pushing myself to involve art as much as possible. I pushed my habits, I pushed my knowledge, and I pushed my artistic growth. And then, just like that, it was no longer me pushing art, but art pushing me. You hit a point where you don't need to push or fight, art compels you to do things, it pushes you to try new things, it motivates you in everything you do. After working to bring it into your life, it stops being work and becomes a passion. You will be controlled by your desire to create, and you will live better because of it.

  7. #6
    Ilaekae's Avatar
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    8,241
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I'm too stupid to be a rocket scientist, too ethical to be a lawyer, and too smart to be a politician, and if art didn't exist for me, I'd have to invent the concept just to keep myself from forming an army and conquering the known world...there are just too many possibilities for boredom otherwise...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

    Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    I'm too stupid to be a rocket scientist, too ethical to be a lawyer, and too smart to be a politician, and if art didn't exist for me, I'd have to invent the concept just to keep myself from forming an army and conquering the known world...there are just too many possibilities for boredom otherwise...
    Dude, thats a good answer

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    GA and the world
    Posts
    4,500
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 122 Times in 63 Posts
    I enjoy doing the art, but the laughing and pointing afterward is annoying.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    australia mate
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 79 Times in 25 Posts
    I don't do art, I just sit here and read posts in the lounge all day.





    Srs though, I do art because I love that you can create an entire world in a painting, glimpses of a reality that exists only in your mind. You can make a huge palace or a character or an animal with a piece of paper and a pencil. You can draw anything at all that you feel like, you can show emotion with the stroke of a pen, movement with the tilt of a line, anything at all is possible... I think you get the picture. I also love similar aspects of writing and music, creating worlds with words and moods with music...art kicks ass, man. Why would you want to do anything else?



    *points and laughs at dogfood*

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi there

    I am a complete "SCI-FI" fanatic myself, and being such I also like all the things that are dubiously associated with the scene of Science Fiction, Modern Technology, Countries Space Programs, Military Technology and Advances in it, Scienctific advances etc you get my meaning I hope anyways.

    So having said that I think I can explain to people better why I have a "love affair" going with "ART" and my "Imagination"

    I have always been facinated with visual Art forms, not so much sculpture but more painting, drawing and also the previosuly stated being done in a digital environment also.

    For me Art lets me express my imagiantion to its maximum, and I can get out of my head all my "sci-fi" dreams and fantasies and express them to the full.

    Digital art makes it even more expressible these days, and it really is a thrill for me to create my imagining's or for that matter to view others creations.

    One of my favourite artists is "Chriss Foss" and I think, if I am honest, it was the viewing of one of his books at an early age that got my creative juices flowing and my imagination running riot.

    I can still to this day look at his creations and find new things in them that I never new were there before heh - even though I have viewed them before a thousand times heh.

    So for me art is all about my imagiantion and art being a medium for me to express it

    Hope that makes sense.

    Hyperion

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waronmars
    I don't do art, I just sit here and read posts in the lounge all day.





    Srs though, I do art because I love that you can create an entire world in a painting, glimpses of a reality that exists only in your mind. You can make a huge palace or a character or an animal with a piece of paper and a pencil. You can draw anything at all that you feel like, you can show emotion with the stroke of a pen, movement with the tilt of a line, anything at all is possible... I think you get the picture. I also love similar aspects of writing and music, creating worlds with words and moods with music...art kicks ass, man. Why would you want to do anything else?



    *points and laughs at dogfood*
    Because art is so based in emotion I guess I have trouble with it. Because alot of art is 'feel'. I guess i'm not that comfortable with that side of it, so that when I draw something I illustrate every little bit [or used to] rather than suggest it with clever lighting/colour etc.

    The other reason is that I [like many here] am terrified of failing

  13. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,520
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 46 Times in 15 Posts

    The other reason is that I [like many here] am terrified of failing
    Holy shit man...face the fear...embrace it...Fail..then get up and try again, be open enough to ask for help, be trusting enough then to fix those mistakes...fail again, get more help, fix other mistakes and then...try again,....it's all about the evolution of your work and correcting as you go along. Don't get sucked into the hole of self pity or dejection. I mean do you think you just come out the womb with the skills ready to go? (Well other than artistic savants..but that's not germain to the discussion here). By the by... work that has little passion behind it..has a tendency to stand out as such..but hey that's just my two rusty pennies.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Helzon
    Holy shit man...face the fear...embrace it...Fail..then get up and try again, be open enough to ask for help, be trusting enough then to fix those mistakes...fail again, get more help, fix other mistakes and then...try again,....it's all about the evolution of your work and correcting as you go along. Don't get sucked into the hole of self pity or dejection. I mean do you think you just come out the womb with the skills ready to go? (Well other than artistic savants..but that's not germain to the discussion here). By the by... work that has little passion behind it..has a tendency to stand out as such..but hey that's just my two rusty pennies.
    You are entirely correct, of course.

    Through all the doubt I have never given up, and I've been drawing since I was a little kid. I will never give up either, but the fear is there still. And as regards to passion, I think about nothing else really, hence the obsessive forum posting :p. I also draw most of the day.

    Sometimes, however, you think you are getting great, then glimpse how long the road is ahead.

    But the only sure way to fail, is to never try.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,975
    Thanks
    991
    Thanked 509 Times in 261 Posts
    for the ladies, of course

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Hyperion,

    Dude, I am so on your level! I love science and science fiction [I read the stuff constantly]. As far as artists, Wayne Douglas Barlowe is my big hero, and as for\ writing Either David Brin or Peter F. Hamilton. I think it was the Uplift Trilogy by Brin that really got me into sci-fi [after star trek ]. Real science I find as, if not more interesting, and i've got a ton of books on biology and space science and all that geek stuff.

    And as I post this, i'm drawing a big black bloody spider straight from observation and its more fun than i thought!

    You never know a creature better than when you draw it.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    4,875
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Reality Forge: I know you dislike theory, but this book might help put things in perpective for you.
    Art and Fear

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Reality Forge: I know you dislike theory, but this book might help put things in perpective for you.
    Art and Fear
    Dude, that book looks fantastic!

    I guess when you see the genius works of art on the web and in books, you forget/filter out the 'normal' artists making good art all around you.

    Problem is, i'm in Melbourne, Australia and you meet so few sci-fi fans, let alone artists here , so its hard to get into the whole culture. The internet is like looking through a window to the U.S, that far away place where the great sci-fi artists are.

    BTW I know that what I just said was, in actual fact, rubbish , I probably just need to get out more. Any Melbourne boys and girls here?
    Last edited by Reality Forge; April 18th, 2006 at 11:37 AM.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cambridge/Boston
    Posts
    1,124
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 56 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waronmars
    Srs though, I do art because I love that you can create an entire world in a painting, glimpses of a reality that exists only in your mind. You can make a huge palace or a character or an animal with a piece of paper and a pencil. You can draw anything at all that you feel like, you can show emotion with the stroke of a pen, movement with the tilt of a line, anything at all is possible... I think you get the picture. I also love similar aspects of writing and music, creating worlds with words and moods with music...art kicks ass, man. Why would you want to do anything else?
    Couldn't put it any better the fact that you can express imaginative ideas and thoughts like this really is what has kept (and continues to keep) me loving art so much. the technical side is something I enjoy as well and can be necessary to illustrate what you imagine, and I'm completely fine with that. just to get to the point where I can show visually what I can imagine is just something I love and hope to achieve.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,422
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 678 Times in 247 Posts
    I drew all during school and got terrible marks. I have no other choice.
    Plus I love it to death. It's fun, and it's a unique skill that not everyone in the world has.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *



  21. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    1,936
    Thanks
    764
    Thanked 598 Times in 404 Posts
    Interceptor I think is sad to say i think im heading your way.
    Atm all think about is my art orientated stuff (a little too much in games atm) and i just hate working in school.. i doodle on like all my empty spaces on sheets..

    To be fair thats half of why i do art... it gets and takes me away.. and time flies which is great.. and i sink into drawing.. shutting stuff out.
    The result is always dead satisfying.. if i pull off something i like it really impresses me and it makes more confident with doing art (aswell as choosing it for a carreer). War has described it so well.

    Coming from someone not in the industry yet, but hoping to. The majority is still cus I love it guess.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage


    ArtStation Blog Tumblr

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why do you do art?
    Last edited by tongue-fu; April 27th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

  23. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Religious fanatics have held my family hostage, I have to do art otherwise they will die.

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    between metro stops in VA, DC, MD
    Posts
    874
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
    For me it's PURELY to tell stories. In terms of drawing and painting, it's usually just one of many means to an end. I also write pretty often (having a script sent over to NBC by my script writing teacher which I'm all giddy about), I'm reading about directing, (3D)CGing, all that. They're all just different tools to tell my stories with, and I want to explore as many of them as possible to experience the different results.

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,524
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 339 Times in 160 Posts
    I do art so I can answer in these insipid threads, with some retorted vitriolic comment.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

  26. #25
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    2,256
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked 525 Times in 365 Posts
    Your view on science is not the view of most scientists I know.

    Science is the art of theories, hypotheses and paradigms. If want to truely understand, you'll come after the fact that everything you think is certain is just something made up from other human beings who filter what they see around themselves and try to communicate it to the world. And you tell me that's not art?

    Your point of view is that from an engineer. He implies what other people tell him, physics, mathematics, without him having to ask where his tools come from. Do you have a slight idea what infinity is? What it truly means? And yet, you use integrals for optimisation processes.

    The more I think of this, the more I feel you are insulting the scientist. Know what others don't know, thinking about what others didn't think before, can you tell me something that's more creative?

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I do art...because I can.

  28. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    South Carolina, US
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Don't know why I do. I know it's useless. Can't eat it, it's not shelter, it won't keep you warm, and it's not an indispensable skill. But I feel compelled and I'm a slave to my compulsions.

  29. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~
    Your view on science is not the view of most scientists I know.

    Science is the art of theories, hypotheses and paradigms. If want to truely understand, you'll come after the fact that everything you think is certain is just something made up from other human beings who filter what they see around themselves and try to communicate it to the world. And you tell me that's not art?

    Your point of view is that from an engineer. He implies what other people tell him, physics, mathematics, without him having to ask where his tools come from. Do you have a slight idea what infinity is? What it truly means? And yet, you use integrals for optimisation processes.

    The more I think of this, the more I feel you are insulting the scientist. Know what others don't know, thinking about what others didn't think before, can you tell me something that's more creative?
    Creativity is not at issue here. Do not make the mistake and think that I am so naive as to think science does not require it. I am not setting out to insult scientists, or artists. Why do you assume I'm on the offensive? I enjoy elements of both.

    What is at issue is me having a little trouble with the imprecise nature of art, and me trying to justify my choice going into it.

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why do you do art?
    Last edited by tongue-fu; April 27th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

  31. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks, Tongue-fu!

    ~Faust~ did kind of take some liberties there

    Plus I don't know what and integral is

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.