Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: digital male pinup calendar

Thanks

Lightbulb digital male pinup calendar

digital male pinup calendar

the topic
    each participant will contribute a FINISHED pin-up picture of a man, based on their own definition of how a sexy/attractive male would look like. the goal is to create a tasteful and original digital calendar for the users of CA.org. The final pieces will be judged by a female jury.

medium: open

style: open, but keep in mind that we're doing pin-ups here (at least 3/4 of the character should be visible)

compression of the pic: low compression or none at all, to preserve the quality.

dimensions: try not to go beyond 1024*768 pixels. as long as its not clear if the calendar will have a zoom function or something similar, it's wiser to keep the standard desktop dimensions.

deadline: starts on Monday, 30th October 2006 and ends on Monday, 4th December 2006. (6 weeks) DEADLINE HAS EXTENDED TO DEC 11th

Are there still slots open? NO

submissions:: A 3.0 private group has been established (Link: http://community.conceptart.org/groups/?id=105 ). WIPs and finals can be posted there after the deadline has started. I will disable the ability to join on October 30th.

WIP's/sketches: please dont post 'em on the CA.org public forums, we wanna keep this a surprise. you can post 'em in the private group for critique.

months assigned: None. A season's approach (spring, summer, fall, winter) would be the best way I guess. We'll have to dicuss that.

HOW TO JOIN THE GROUP:

1.) go here: http://community.conceptart.org/groups/
    2.) look for a new group called "guys calendar" (or check out the "conceptart.org" groups under categories)
    3.) there should two options below it, "view" and "join". click "join" and you're in.

participants (new list, have to check if the old participants are still interested):

Ilaekae
    Carnifex
    Virusartist
    Fedezz
    glikster
    noiion
    hurricane
    Arne S.
    Chuck,mate.
    GunTrouver
    J_absinthe
    seansea
    medieve
    v0rbiss
    slash
    ostrander
    Frumious Me
    dCepT
    Jove
    Vigostar
    Wizard of KOZ
    Poshspice
    Hyver
    Tetsuo
    yAdam
    kingcoyote
    Stephan_R
    LAlfaro
    arsun
    snuggles
    voraz
    Jokisalo
    Onir
    AnimeBoyXtreme1985
    DrFx
    voraz
    xenos
    Beelow
    Sundance
    t i m o t h y
    joelhinxman
    purb36
    flip
    Njord-E55
    0kelvin
    FlipMcgee
    masque

THE JURY:
    chaosrocks
    Noë
    Qitsune
    entdroid
    Julianna
    Mirana
    *Kim-L*
    zeeble
    Iconophobian
    Poison_art
    Seedling
    Steph Laberis

As for the technical status:
    A deadline has been set and the new year draws close. I dont know if the old python build will ever see the light, but I'll do my best to get support in that matter (*knocks on wood*). Option B would be a print-out calendar if things go downhill. In the end its the art that matters, no?

cheers,
    Etienne
    Last edited by VirusArtist; December 2nd, 2006 at 11:43 AM.

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Please discuss these points made by masque- this project cant be finished without your thoughts about them.
    if there's no reply to those, masque and I will choose wich features will be incorporated based on the workload to be done and the possibility of getting help from outside. screenshots/previews can be seen in masques posts in the original thread

MASQUE'S SPECS:

"i'm at a point in programming the calendar layout where i don't feel comfortable proceeding without some sort of features list to work toward. retrofitting features can be painful in terms of integrating the code into what's already there, much better to work from a solid plan up front.

i'm assuming since there's been no further discussion that for now the calendar app will be developed in Python, and am basing these comments on that assumption. so far, the features mentioned have been:

1) updatable image content, possibly on an annual basis, possibly with varying themes. my current method of integrating the art into the programming should allow for this with few issues. it's the next aspect i plan to protoype.

2) zoom function for details inspection. this can be done but it's very complex, and Python doesn't have a huge set of image manipulation tools already onboard -- the image processing will have to be coded from scratch. also, enlargements will have to be interpolated, which will not look very good at all unless someone with Photoshop-level coding skills can be privateered.

3) cycling images to accommodate more than twelve. very doable, the timing of the changes just needs to be agreed on and clearly specified so it can be coded.

4) limited image animation (e.g., pan & scan). like zooming, it can be done, but will need some in-depth coding. happily, as long as the image does not change scale, this is much more feasible, as the math is something i can wrap my head around. but whether or not it's a good idea is another question. the more i think about it, the more it sounds less attractive. opinions?

5) user-configurable "playlist"-style image display order. can be done, but will require writing a small file to the user's comp, like a "preferences" file, maybe not a big consideration but i think this app needs to tread lightly on the user's digital real estate.

if i missed anything, sing out!

other notes:
    a) image size -- the image area in my layouts is ~ 660 x 880 pixels with about 70 pixels additional at right and bottom for the interface elements. as you can see this takes up a big chunk of a 1280x1024 screen. i think it's important that the calendar not overwhelm a user's desktop when it's being displayed. i can trim the interface requirement to about 40-50, but it's still apparent that a max linear dimension is around 900 pixels. remember that we have to allow for screen area overhead that the Windoze system requires. it's also not wise to assume that everyone uses a high screen resolution like 1280 x 1024. that happens to be the "native" rez for my LCD, but those using CRTs may prefer (or be limited to if the monitor's old) 1024 x 768.

i suggest that there be a choice of 2 display sizes in the calendar app, geared for different screen specs. it can be done in a single app at the cost of a larger download/user-system-footprint, or we can make different rez versions available on the download page. for the contributors, that will require making different sizes of the image available; i recommend that if any resizing/resampling needs to be done, that the artist do it, so the alternate size meets his standards. for reasons mentioned in the zoom feature comment, i don't think letting the calendar app resize images is a good idea, the quality would likely suck (no built-in anti-aliasing, for example )

b) interface design -- feedback would be good folks, pro or con. is it missing some info about the image that you feel would be good to include? buttons too big? typefaces (which may have to change to accommodate different platforms and user setups) acceptable? somebody should provide some alternatives.

c) the calendar grid itself -- unlike print, the specific design of this element of the app may be pretty limited. Python has a "modular" calendar you can just plug into your app, but it was designed by programmers -- strictly functional, about as "pretty" as a bank statement. i'm not sure how much i can customize that module (it's on my todo list). will the "default" look be acceptable as long as it's not always onscreen? these are the three layouts my Python toolklit has by "default":"

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Random thoughts...

The idea of not tying necessarily to a specific holiday is good. It makes it less of a problem requiring a hook to hang the illustration on. If you think about it, the forum is world-wide, and the seasons aren't the same everywhere at the same time--north and south of the equater are reversed, and even something as simple as "Spring" means something different to me in the mid-Atlantic US than it does to someone from northern Sweden or southern Greece.

The practical part of me says that the ON-LINE calendar is being and must be determined by the monitor size and the monstrousity of programming, but the print part says that this effort by so many extremely talented people will almost certainly result in at least 12 images that at some point will be worth a repro version, so I would suggest working to something usable for print later and preserving it, and converting a version to the online set-up. It requires no rocket science from the artists' end.

Finally, one thing that must be said...not all of us are in the same league in output. Lets ignore the swelled egos and bullshit and assume that the more participants we have, the better off we are collectively. As an art director, I'd rather have 28 incredible masterpieces than six-and-a-box of odds and ends to choose from. I'm also thinking about myself here, as well as a number of others who are heavily involved, who are NOT primarily concept artists in the classic sense of this forum. Some of our "styles" are going to rankle, some might be controversial, and some just downright unusable (NOT because of quality, but because they "miss the point" a bit)...

This is an experiment that will evolve as it happens, and THAT will be the interesting and educational thing to watch for us...the final product is just eye candy, the thought/process could be a mind-blower...

The chicks are already learning that...and may the goddess help us all, we know they're smarter than us...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    is this the Ilaekae we've all come to know and love/hate? nary a trace of sarcasm and irony, simply excellent points well-expressed.

the main point of my suggesting a digital version of the "guy calendar" was to not appear to be stealing thunder from the the gals' project, and to avoid someone having to finance and plan logistics for a print project -- i doubt Jason's up for bankrolling two simultaneously. i think the idea of working toward print image sizes and providing scaled digital versions for a calendar app is fine as long as the artist is willing to accept the changes downsampling can make to a file, and is willing to create the required files himself. if in the future a print version becomes feasible, so much the better.

the programming hasn't yet become a monstrosity, i'm very close to a beta version for Windows, though features are limited at this point to displaying the art (as shown in the earlier screenies), and some calendar navigation and notation functions. as i see it the biggest unknown at this point is not bells and whistles but whether there will be more than twelve images per year. my current version assumes one image per month, but if more are desirable, it shouldn't be a huge task to modify the code to accommodate, i'd just need a description of how to schedule the image changes. keep in mind, though, that additional images will swell the application size, even at on-screen resolutions. my current test-builds using placeholders designed to emulate the possible sizes of actual art images runs to about 12-13Mb, most of which is due to the images. not huge by today's standards but not lightweight for modem-users.

so that i can effectively plan some details of distributing any final calendar application, it'd help to have an idea how many folk are using platforms other than WinXP -- Win***, Mac users (OSX or previous?), Linux variant users, any others, speak out.

some shots of the current near-beta:
    Adigital male pinup calendar Bdigital male pinup calendar Cdigital male pinup calendar Ddigital male pinup calendar Edigital male pinup calendar

NOTE: The marked dates don't show well in these low-Q JPEGs -- the numerals are blue, comapred to black for the unmarked dates.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    The practical part of me says that the ON-LINE calendar is being and must be determined by the monitor size and the monstrousity of programming, but the print part says that this effort by so many extremely talented people will almost certainly result in at least 12 images that at some point will be worth a repro version, so I would suggest working to something usable for print later and preserving it, and converting a version to the online set-up. It requires no rocket science from the artists' end.
    Let's just say, work in print resolution at all times. And before we deteoriate into a DPI vs PPI argument/discussion again, lets confirm that right here too so everyone knows what's going on. Like Ilaekae says, final output shouldn't be too difficult to achieve. But to make it easier and more error free, maybe we could specify working parameters too. Again, this is not to restrict artists in a sense, but to streamline workflow and reduce any issues that might unexpectedly pop up during this period.....and as we all know....shit always happens when things go too well.

I'm kinda excited. I've got a few images sketched out and going thru an elimination process now. Will be able to get into it fully when school ends next week.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Masque on OS...

I'm on "true" Mac OS 10.4.5 or there abouts. Anyone with a newer machine (as in last six months) will be using same. I'm not sure what's happening with the new "hybrid" Macs (Intel chip)...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Let's just say, work in print resolution at all times.
    as long as everyone's completely familiar with what that means, and is willing to downsample their digital files to fit an onscreen display, that's fine.

if anyone has any questions about prepping art for medium to high quality offset printing, just speak up. i'm sure Ilaekae, figure2, or myself could answer most anything that might come up. for print there are also issues of color model & profile as well as resolution, but those can wait until a print project is confirmed, i guess.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    how big pixelwise would it need to be for it to be print quality?
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpose
    how big pixelwise would it need to be for it to be print quality?
    the standard "rule of thumb" is 300 pixels per linear inch (300dpi) at the size a file is printed, so the pixel dimensions would depend on that size; for an 8.5" x 11" image (roughly comparable to A4), that's 8.5*300=2550 x 11*300=3300. this can vary by a fair amount without serious probs, but the effective dpi should never drop below about 225. it can always be higher.

other factors such as the halftone screen ruling (printer's tech) have some bearing, as does the capability of the printer, but in general 300dpi is a usable "ruler." just remember that it's in relation to real-world printing dimensions -- a 1024x768 image is only 3.41" x 2.56" @ 300dpi. divide your pixel dimensions by 300 (minimum 225) to get an idea of your image's real-world size.

without defined printing specs (size, haltone screen ruling, etc.) it's impossible to fine it down more than that, but it's always better to go too large than too small -- if a digital file is under-resolution for it's reproduced size, the pixelization can start to become apparent in certain portions of the image (like high-contrast edges), never a good thing.

a little additional info regarding downsampling images (making them smaller and lower resolution in Photoshop): if you can plan your image so that the scaling can be done in factors of two (e.g., 1/2 or 1/4 size), the result is usually "cleaner" in terms of preserving image clarity. example: if the max onscreen dimension is 700x900 pixels, then the original should be planned at 2800x3600 (4x that size), which fits well in the "300dpi ballpark" for printed image scale. i'm not recommending this size, just using it as an example.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    I was just coming on CA to check if the calendar project was making any progress. On to the fun stages now
    I saw the flowers die
    grand beauty turn to dust
    under wings of cold white death

Thanks
    It better be live...I already have my idea and setting. Doing research now.

Hope to learn how to draw, too, before I start...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    bumparoo because the girls posted their calendar pics now. let's get rolling for real *starts sketching*
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    so these are males drawing males?
    Looking forward to seeing the results!!

love
    Marleen

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast