Thanks

Face generator- don't draw heads for it though!

http://www.download.com/FaceGen-Mode...ml?tag=lst-0-1

you can change races/features and lots of other options,
    here's a screen i just took-

Face generator- don't draw heads for it though!

enjoy!

PS. I think you can also import your own face in it, but i've not gotten around to it.
    Last edited by asoir; April 15th, 2006 at 07:09 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've been using this a little bit, and I have to say for basic face drawing it is GODLY. Any angle, as close to or as far from the subject as you want, tons of morph options, plus there's a tab to add emotion to the face. Also, you can free-morph the face so I've taken to creating insane creature heads. It's kinda buggy though, I tried to make an orc and his chin ended up through his forehead, that was not a good day.

However, I feel really really dirty using it beyond anything other than face practice. Also, the range of emotions is severely limited, so it's hard to make the face look as mean or curious or whatever as you'd like. Still though, it's awesome for what it does and I was incredibly tempted to post about it when I found it a couple weeks back.

Also, it's pretty accurate when it scans pictures of your face to create a model. I was having fun scanning three random separate celebrities in at the same time and seeing what it gave me.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    that will only have you creating bad habits for yourself....get national geographic and work from people of real character.

those models are horrible. I would NOT suggest drawing or painting from them.

J

Thanks
    I'm going to take Jason's advice on this one.

Thanks
    Jason beat me to it

Outside of good old National Geographic, there's a fantastic book called Facial Expressions: A Visual Reference for Artists which provides multiple angles of various expressions and ages of people. Check out the link, there are scans of the pages on Amazon.

Though the models in the book are predominantly white (boooo) and age from 20 - 70 and the expressions are very exaggerated, so this might benefit animators and cartoonists the most. I think it's better to have an exaggerated reference for facial expressions anyway; it's easier for me to tone something down than to amp something up most times.

Thanks
    Can your National Geographic do THIS?!?!

Face generator- don't draw heads for it though!Face generator- don't draw heads for it though!Face generator- don't draw heads for it though!

It's like a photo!

I only ever use it to help knock out basic facial proportions when I'm warming up, as I run the gamut of angles when I'm drawing my mornin' heads and it's damn hard to find ref of a very very basic head in extreme perspective that isn't obscured by its character flaws, but like I said anything beyond that is a waste because that Facial Expressions book or like Jason said a National Geographic is a million times better.

Thanks
    this is awful...I can't seeing it help at all. Draw from life when you can...subway, restaurants, mall, boring family functions...and when you can't do that use a mirror and draw your own face. And when you don't feel like that, use GOOD photo ref.
    Even drawing from a good sculpture or painting will aid you more than this.

A good life drawing class isn't such a bad idea either.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Yeah, whenever possible draw from life, not from someone else's poor interpretation of life. I'll give exclusion to quality sculpture from that statement, but when it's a 3d model designed to be as generic and customisable as possible, it's really not good reference for learning, say, the construction of the human face, or for creating interesting and original characters.

On that note, www.tskuebler.com - check it out, that guy is awesome at creating characters.

Thanks
    hmm, you guys are right now that i think about it... it's best to draw something that's real instead of something that's based on something real...bad explanation but i totally understand.

peace!

Thanks
    i quite like it actually.I don't think i'll use it constatly but IMHO its a good tool if you just need some kind of quick reference about planes perhaps (not everybody had decent 3d skills or a head mannequin at home).Actually i think the example posted by lavhoes isn't useful at all, the tool can creae decent realistic head from different etnies.Again, i don't think it's good for copying (head aren't this "perfect") but its good reference in some occasions.
    thx Asoir!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGnoll
    i quite like it actually.I don't think i'll use it constatly but IMHO its a good tool if you just need some kind of quick reference about planes perhaps (not everybody had decent 3d skills or a head mannequin at home).Actually i think the example posted by lavhoes isn't useful at all, the tool can creae decent realistic head from different etnies.Again, i don't think it's good for copying (head aren't this "perfect") but its good reference in some occasions.
    thx Asoir!
    heehee actually I just like futzing with it to get amusing results for inspiration, it's like clay for me only face-shaped.

And I agree with you on its use, it should in no way replace life drawing, photo-ref taken yourself, magazine studies, etc. but when handling tricky things like perspective and forshortening at weird angles it's definitely useful, as it's just accurate enough to get the basic proportions and just simple enough to be able to tell what should go where without excessive shadows, warts, wrinkles, cracks, bumps, etc. obscuring the proportions.

Plus it's just plain fun. Why turn down a (demo-only) free tool? It's only as useful as you make it, and like anything else in art should be used in moderation and when appropriate. If you don't go overboard it's definitely a handy thing to have, but is just as definitely limited in the situations where it's truly useful to an artist.

Thanks
    yeah!
    thats exactly what i mean .
    Anyway, i guess we all agree about photoreference being better, but i think its just a totally different tool (it's just like useing a mannequin actually, just quick ref)

ciao

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    plus you can't deny,that if aleksi uses,there must be atleast SOME value to it
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.