Thanks

Sign Painting Demo

For those of you who's artistic talent is wasted working at 7-11 while you wait for Lucas Arts to hire you I've put together this sign painting demo in my sketchbook thread.
    It's fun it's easy (sort of) it gets you outside and meeting people. And it can make you some darn good money and gain you valuable business experience which will help you even when you move on to conceptual design.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...541#post820541
    Last edited by Gilead; April 15th, 2006 at 02:56 AM.
    Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    dude i think your url is kinda screwed up
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks

Thanks
    Great demo Gilead, that seems like a really interesting way to make a buck. Tell me, how did you get started doing this? Do you have recommendations for anyone wanting to start out doing something like that? Cheers man.

Thanks
    Waronmars, I got started as a sign painter for a grocery store. That gave me lots of chances to practice.
    I suppose you could practice a time or two on a sheet of glass or a mirror or your own home windows if nothing else is available.
    Other than that the key to doing it is just get out and do it. Make a flyer that you can hand out to all the stores and just go door to door until someone takes a chance on you. Having photos of your work with you certainly helps.
    It seems like a catch 22 at first. You don't have any photos until you do some work, but people want to see some pictures before they hire you.
    But sooner or later someone will hire you anyways and then you're on your way.
    If I hand out 100 flyers I get about 2 phonecalls That's considered a successfull ad campaign so don't let all the rejection get you down. Just paint the best you can when somebody does hire you. Keep the work clean, be polite and always sign your name and phone number in some corner of the window. (I forgot to put that in the demo.) I get a lot of work off of that signature.
    The best time of year to try it out is Christmas season, because everybody wants their windows painted then, but don't wait that long just give it a shot.
    Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any more questions along the line.
    website

Thanks
    Hello Gilead,

Nice demo,

I used to do some sign painting myself. Learned from an older fellow years ago. I never did sign paint as any means to make a living though. Just did some on the side. It was fun and enjoyable and I had a sense of acomplishment upon completing a job. When it started taking up all my spare time I decided to back off some.

It's been some time since I've done any but I still get a hankering at times and I still enjoy seeing other ppls work.

Vinal lettering was starting to become the go-to thing just as I was stepping back. Is it still popular? IMO nothing can beat a custom painted job though. Like the old sign painter told me " It's the little flaws that give it character"
    He was (is) right.

Bruce Pluto

PS: I may post some on my CA WIP site if I get some good scans

Thanks
    I'm thinking on practicing in my own windows (I happen to have a 10'x10' window givin on the street) so my question is: How do you remove that afterwards?

Thanks
    qitsune,

a razorblade scraper always worked well for me.

BP

Thanks
    We did sometehing like this for McDonalds... Though it wasn't nearly as cool, and we used this horrible Glass acryllic marker crap. It was fun, but it was a stupid volunteer thing, and even thogh I designed the characters I didn't get paid D:

Though we did get free lunch... sort of...

EDIT: And thanks for the demo, very informative, looks great!

Thanks
    Bruce Pluto, Hi there, It's always nice to meet another sign guy. I envy your mentorship from one of the old ones.
    Vinyl is actually the best thing for menus and hours etc. But nothing beats custom paint for maximising the size, shape and location of a window.
    Check out the bullitin board on letterville.com for some great sign talk.

qitsune, To remove the paint soak it with Windex or something and use a brand new razor blade. It'll come right off. Keep a small box or wastebasket handy for the shavings.
    The longer you leave it the harder the paint gets. Most of my work is for promotional purposes and is removed after only a couple months. So it comes off easily.

Pixeldragoon, That's funny. My first one was for a Taco Bell at Christmas time. A friend of mine worked there and we got paid in tacos, but it was fun and years later the experience paid off.
    website

Thanks
    Thank you for the tips (my landlord will also be happy I can remove it)