Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Is Family Guy racist?

It's one of my favourite shows, but I can't help feeling a little guilty for liking it every time they do something like the Ollie Williams weather report. Should I quit watching it, or am I being overly sensitive?
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    the latter.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Jokes like that aren't meant to be derogatory to other races; rather, they are intended to poke fun at ignorant racial stereotypes. For example, the episode "When you wish upon a Weinstein" was originally pulled from the air because Fox was worried it might be too offensive to Jewish people. However, in the DVD commentary, Seth MacFarlane explained that they had even shown it to a Rabbi beforehand and asked his opinion, and he approved because by the end it had disproved the very stereotypes that they were making fun of.

In short, the show and its creators are not racist. People just tend to confuse over-the-top ridicule of racism with racism itself.

Thanks
    Making light hearted, sweeping generalizations about other cultures, ethnicities, and religious groups is extremely fun. And it's only harmful to stuck up white people who like to get offended (I call my best friend a greasy daego all the time, just don't say that to the wrong person or in the wrong way).

Hell, black people do it more than white people. I don't know why we should be banned from that type of humor (Chapelle, or any other non-white stand up comedian make 99% racist jokes).

It's easy to tell when it's done whimsically, or when it's actually *racist.* Family Guy's is not racist.

Anyways, no offense, but don't change what you think is funny because of what you learned at Diversity Day in elementary school.

Thanks
    This is because I'm black isnt it?
    Just kidding i'm not black...
    I'm latino?
    ..>>//\\S0M3ThlNG
    [[]]//\\>>..

Thanks
    The thing about family, is they makes jokes about EVERYONE. So I think they're just fooling around, if it was all geared towards 1 race, that'd be different.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    If Mel Brooks makes a joke about Jewish people (like he does all the time), should I feel guilty for laughing?

People are too uptight. Political correctness is for jackasses. Wish Upon a Weinstein was brilliant! Best Family Guy episode ever. I wish the newer episodes were even a fraction as funny, I might still watch the show.
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MEP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interesting topic. I've wondered the same thing myself.

I love Family Guy, but sometimes I was put-off by their presentation of blacks and asians. However, FG does these intensely negative stereotypes so hyperbolic that they actually help render these stereotypes as baseless, even spin it positively.

The same can be seen in rappers, who take the most negative thing about them and spin it humerously so it's no longer a stigma. Such as B.I.G., Big Pun, Fat Joe, etc... African Americans refer to each other by the n---- word, which used to be a very deragatory term, and make it into something positive (if used between each other) to promote fraternity and group cohesion. By getting these things out in the open and embracing it as something humerous... the stereotype looses it's ability to stigamtize people.

Thanks
    Funny... I'm put-off by Family Guy but not by South Park... I consider the show an inferior version of The Simpsons and South Park combined...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Well, I think they're doing what Dave Chapelle does all the time. By making fun of racism, they're destroying its power.
    Family Guy rocks, coz like interceptor said, they rip everyone!, making only the people who are able to laugh at themselves, survive, like allysa milano for instance.She appeared in an episode.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    African Americans refer to each other by the n---- word, which used to be a very deragatory term, and make it into something positive (if used between each other) to promote fraternity and group cohesion. By getting these things out in the open and embracing it as something humerous... the stereotype looses it's ability to stigamtize people.
    But black people never had big issues with other black people calling them niggers and offending them, so how does making it a cool thing to do "lose it's ability to stigmatize people" ? If I go around calling black people niggers (I'm white), 9 out of 10 (or more) would be offended...so I don't see how it's really helped a damn thing.

People are just as, if not more, sensitive to racism as ever. Family Guy, or any of these stupid comedy shows, doesn't help or hurt it. People are straight up morons with or without the TV.
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    The N-word is derogatory no matter who uses it... It gets even annoying at times when people think they're "previleged" to say it because A) they're black or B) they're married to someone who's black... The hip-hop culture really took the word out of hand, but on the positive side, its taboos are being dealt with head on... [/end derailing thread]
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to seba_boi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't think I'll ever understand the concept behind the 'N' word, its just stupid!

Thanks
    You know that the whole point of this discussion is to keep you from drawing, right? Family guy is just stupid fun, if their jokes about blacks keep you awake at night just think about what they say about the average american peter, uh, joe.

Come on, really.

Thanks
    stop saying "'n' word" you tards. Its . You sound like your in primary school.

Now im off to have a whiz with my doodle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast