COW - Discussion/Complaining/TrashTalk/"Where the f*** is the Poll?" Questions-Thread - Page 10
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: COW - Discussion/Complaining/TrashTalk/"Where the f*** is the Poll?" Questions-Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jaunay - hope somebody answered you before !!!!!
    i liked your oxilian - don´t know why it was not included in the finals....)
    speaking of : where is the voting poll for holiday dinner with the harkonnens ????
    hope everything is okay ! hope its no flu.....

Last edited by Vaghauk; December 9th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What day does this contest begin?

I have looked up and down the forums, but there is no idication at all about when the newest C.O.W. is. The same goes for the other "of the week" projects. How is this supposed to work, exactly?

Just You and Me,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, as far as i experienced it the last years it mostly starts sunday/monday and lasts 1 week. normally the finals/poll went online on sundays. anyways for the last months there were quite a few delays. ppl got a lot to do besides managing the weekly activities i guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree on the delays, I assumed they would stop with a new moderator, but I think it is more the time of year I guess. I'm actually somewhat swamped with finals myself.

64% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1686206

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering about the possibly of re-opening or re-starting a "C.O.W. - Gallery of all activity winners!" thread?
    I was recently browsing the old one and it makes for an amazing view, showcasing some fabulous work and talent, a real C.O.W Hall of Fame, however sadly that thread seems to have been dead for some time.

Of course the gaps from between now and the last entry from 2008 don't have to be filled, instead maybe starting from the start of this year?
    It just seems a shame that once a poll is locked the winning work disappears into no-mans land.

Last edited by Fiddzy; April 21st, 2010 at 01:23 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiddzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it alowed to start a new COW round if the Mod is still nowhere to find?

And I also agree a completition of the winners list would be great.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 387 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
    Is it alowed to start a new COW round if the Mod is still nowhere to find?

And I also agree a completition of the winners list would be great.
    Alderbaran, it's been done in the past. It wouldn't necessarily be official, but it does give the restless something to do. (Been there plenty of times myself)
    As for the winners list, the thread for winners has been neglected for a long time and I'm sure nobody regrets that more than myself and the few others who have won a few since it stopped. I'm in the process of figuring out how to make it shine again but there's a lot of backlog to catch up with and of course the daily struggle of being a moderator with a job and child and other unforeseen daily occurrences that unfortunately put that priority on the back burner for a minute. It'll happen eventually, probably sooner than you think. In the meantime, keep on submitting your awesome entries like you did on this one (got my vote) and have faith in us puny humans.

Last edited by scorge; April 24th, 2010 at 04:53 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If possible I would gladly Help, for example putting the winners in the >Showcase frame like the old Winner collection etc. if there is something to help give me a note (I also dont have much freetime but would gladly help this running smoothly ^^)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So..Where the fuck is the poll :I?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I was curious to see what the levels mean and how to level up?
    Example: Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores; Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii; Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 387 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi APW,
    I felt the same way when I first got started in CA. The "level" merely refers to the number of posts you've contributed to the site. The more you post, the higher your level will go.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going with Machu Picchu.

sorry wrong thread

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goo I was gonna WIN!

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What was that weird thgread all about? I saw it for a second, clicked on it and I got a message saying it was a bad link. Then it was gone. It was called seo something or other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looked like a spammer. Threads like that have been popping up all over the site.

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NickTrip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by scorge View Post
    Alderbaran, it's been done in the past. It wouldn't necessarily be official, but it does give the restless something to do. (Been there plenty of times myself)
    I just want to clerify this - One can start a C.O.W. round byhimself if it is late? Since the last round is way beoynd deadline, can i start a new one? If yes, by which criteria do i choose theme and can I push something from my ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see why there's such an impatience involved with creature of the week. I love COW, and I'll wait as long as it takes. I've never had a problem with scorge taking a few days or even an extra week to set up a poll. I mean, for god's sake he just spent what must have equated to days redoing the winners thread. There's a lot of work going on beneath the surface. We're all just participants in this, so I think we can chill out a bit about the "where's the poll"... maybe that's just me.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't complain on anything. It is just that i missed the previous one and don't want to join in the last moments, and eager to start a new one. And I have seen above that it is a'o'kay. But the final reason to do it was exactly because
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_Swe View Post
    for god's sake he just spent what must have equated to days redoing the winners thread. There's a lot of work going on beneath the surface.
    So he doesn't have to do usual work right after a tremendous achievement of winner thread. But if it bothers you that much (and as i see you are not alone in your opinion) i can delete the threads for god's sake and end it in instant. I just thought it would be appropriate, ok perhaps not as official round, but practice in between, while scorge can take some rest.

Geez i get so much of opposition. If the last topic was not dead for two or three days(being the last post of the 1st september) may be perhaps i wouldn't be so initiative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand arri-att's point of view. As a punctual person myself I get often frustrated if the due dates won't hold. I have asked for an extra day or two to work on a COW myself multiple times, but if the due date is being stretched for no particular reason I get pissed. Not to anyone in particular though since I understand that scorge has some health issues and a life.

I think that the best option would be to get some kind of assistant for scorge. A lesser moderator if you want to call it that, who can set up polls and new threads after due date. Scorge would decide the subject ofc. The assistant would just do the dirty work if scorge isn't available.

EDIT. The "assistant" sounds somewhat funny arrangement though. A second moderator would do as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just throwing another idea out there. I know that doing the Winner's thread must have been a lot of work, but I also think it would be awesome if we could get some of the tutorials from winners going on again. When I first started doing COW I found those tutorials immensely useful, so if we could get a few more in there. Even if you use a different method it's always interesting to see how other people work.

Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    si swe: that's a good idea. Not to put him on the spot but I would personally love to see how emerging works. Always love his stuff. Also it would be cool to see how scorge works as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to see the links on the CA Starting page beeing actualised.
    cow is still linking to 2010 the year we made contact.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys! si swe and I are going to be taking over mod duties next week, and I thought this would be a good time to see what people would like to see different in COW.

First I'm wondering how people feel about a specific time deadline. For example... instead of it just being a due date, would you prefer it include an actual time like 9:00 pm pst.

Let us know if you would like that change, or if you would prefer it stays a bit more loose. Also anything else you would like changed we'll try and take a look at.

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well im from NZ, so I have to work out deadlines being that they are next day for me and could be in the Night so I have added too early and could have used the extra hours to clean up the work, so yeah time zone PST or GMT, would be great.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Devilfruit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm EST and, I think, (lark is PST. We'll try and figure something out to get the timing down.

If possible we'll try and implement the same kind of warning posts that they issue with ChOW (1 hour 'till deadline etc).

One thing I'd like to enforce a little more closely from here on out is the act of voting for oneself. I've noticed it happening quite a lot in the recent past, it's something I'd like to discourage as much as possible.

Let us know how ya' feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadlines are something im used to, and Industry would sure use em lol :-), Industry give extensions too lol?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_Swe View Post
    One thing I'd like to enforce a little more closely from here on out is the act of voting for oneself. I've noticed it happening quite a lot in the recent past, it's something I'd like to discourage as much as possible.
    Werd, In the other weekly activities it has been banned with a 1vote penlty. It isn't usually acted on unless someone mentions it in the c.o.w.
    It's a dodgy thing and poor sportsmanship to do anyways, voting for ones self...

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps you could use any of those online clocks, if there is any good it would be nice and useful. I'm from Sweden so I too has to sit and calculate deadline and it havent been that much trouble before since deadline is almost always delayed but if you are to make tight deadlines I would really appreciate going by some clock that everyone can use so one doesnt miss deadline because of timezones.

I agree on the voting on yourself part. It's silly and should be discouraged. Another thing I often thought is that ChoW poll is nicer in that sense that you can vote on multiple, many times it seems that good entries got almost no votes only because it was a great entry in there aswell, perhaps it wont work with a smaller activity like CoW but its nice to see in ChoW, sure a great image wins, but the good ones atleast get a bunch of votes showing artist he or she is on the right track.

My final thoughts is for topics; its fun when everyone can play the game! Its nice with topics that are kinda open for interpretation and possible for the weak ones to join, there will be more variety in the images and the best artists will still of course shine but I think it makes for interesting rounds with many entries. "It has the traits of a flower" was something like that, and it was really fun to see those finals!

Enough from me, good luck guys and hope you have a great time leading this in the future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would deeeefinitely like to see that front page link updated. and about the time zone thing, id say make it 11:59 of the latest time zone and then list that time in all the other time zones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This voting round (192) is really speaking of something to me with regards to voting in Creature of the Week. Farquad’s entry has received the most votes thus far and (while I wish no disrespect to Farquad and, in fact, think he’s created quite a beautiful piece) I do wish to question the voters. Farquad’s entry is a perfect example of an entry which is gorgeously rendered and incredibly well put-together, but is far enough from the brief that it should have been excluded. This really shows me that people voting in Creature of the WAeek are not paying attention to the concepts that we mods come up with, but rather to who has the best rendered design. Voters are as responsible as entrants to make a choice a based on who best and most creatively portrayed their interpretation of the brief, expanding on, while sticking to, the guidelines presented in the brief. Let me make this clear, if it is outlined in the brief that something should be present in one’s design, that element must indeed be present for that creature to be included into the finals poll. This round will continue as is, and if it is, indeed, the case that Farquad wins, I will gladly award him his star and place his entry into the winners thread. On the other hand, in future Creature of the Week rounds, you should expect (lark and I to be a lot more strict with what we will and won’t allow into the poll, no matter how amazingly rendered it is.

I would also like to make it clear that I have not put this together because I wish I had received more votes. Receiving even one vote has always been flattering to me. I would simply like to get things back on track in terms of voting and finals inclusions.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20