Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

The Photo Challenge - Rotten

Well i won my first photo challenge so i get to pick the next one. so:

READ THE RULES!

The point of the challenge is to take a picture that the viewer associates with the given topic.

regard less of the definitions of the topic in a dictionary.
    any picture can be entered.
    it is up to the pol to decide what picture is best associated with the topic

The Rules:
    1. only one picture per contestant

2. no previously used material

3. the winner of the last poll will set the next topic; if the same person stands as the winner two times in a row, he or she must choose another user to present the next topic

4. enhancements of the picture (hue/saturation and levels) are allowed, but a minimum of Brushing etc.

5. no voting for your own picture

6. the challenge starts Monday, poll opens Friday and closes Sunday. the winner starts a new post on the photo forum that is named
    "The Photo challenge - the chosen topic"

7. the poll shall be opened Friday morning

8. In the event of a tie in the polls, the person who created the challenge casts the tie breaking vote

9. the winner has until 18:00/6:00 pm (GMT +2) Monday, after he or she has won to present the next topic, if the winner fails to do so. the topic will be presented by the 2nd place person on the poll

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmm differnt toppic. Ill have a look though my brothers fridge!!!

Thanks
    so i'm the first huh?...no problem, here it is :rotten jam:

My guarding angel is a double agent !!

Thanks
    great topic, billeh_b!
    uuuaaargh, alucard, this is really gross! even LOOKING at it makes you feel "unhealthy"... great one!
    so i guess, this will become some sort of "who found the oldest stuff in the fridge"-contest. that'll be fun!

Thanks
    Is there any possibility to speed this rotten-process up?
    I think I won't find something here at home.. mhmm
    -

Thanks
    haha just leave some yoghurt in the sun
    or similar. haha, or get a sibling, and dig around in their hair (wear gloves )

Thanks
    I find this topic very unpleasant.. there arent many ideas besides taking photos of rotten food, or scum of some sort.

Please- for next time, when you win, choose a subject that motivates you to take photos and come up with creative ideas... not the opposite!
    Claude

Thanks
    yes. i agree with you guys. no originality here. but i'll feal prety bad if i'l be the only one ho posted. so plese do your best. cheers

Thanks
    Who says it HAS to be rotting food? Wood rots, a house left to nature maybe? I'd say that often the state of London(UK) Underground is pretty rotten. I suppose to make this one work how most people would like it people have to be a little more creative. Rotten basically means blemished, maybe you think industry is an abomination, take a photo of anything that 'shocks', be it a pile of rubbish/trash, be it 'dirty' industry, expensive buildings gone to waste, that's a waste, rotting food is a waste, and a waste of money is rotten. By that reasoning the 'Millenium Dome', a beautiful building in London, fits in the catagory of 'rotten'. Just try not to deviate too much I suppose.

On a side note I want a camera, we have deer near where I live, if you go searching for long enough you'll eventually see a large group of deer and of course at some stage it has to be mating season... NO, I don't mean that, I mean photos of stags sparring.

Thanks
    No I think you can do a lot with this topic.
    I translated the word into german and theres a wide variety what you can do with this...
    It shouldn't be always only the good things! So don't be so close-minded, think about the topic
    -

Thanks
    I like the topic, its got a nice range of things to try, I may try rottern luck

Thanks

Nikon + Me + Rock Pool

Rotten (rotten luck!)

Nikon + Me + Rock Pool

<picture removed so not to confuse my entry>
    Last edited by samsite999; April 14th, 2006 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks
    Haha, this is more like it.

Nice to see it's getting somewhere.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=claudeEGYPT]there arent many ideas QUOTE]

Photo CHALLENGE.

For the first time in my life I actually wish it were the voting season.

Thanks
    not sure i follow with that one? what do ou mean?

Thanks
    Not sure what he means by the voting remark, but what's he's saying is that someone said 'Not many ideas' and he's saying 'Obviously... it's a challange, there to try you, work at it!'

Thanks
    Who says it HAS to be rotting food? Wood rots, a house left to nature maybe? I'd say that often the state of London(UK) Underground is pretty rotten. I suppose to make this one work how most people would like it people have to be a little more creative. Rotten basically means blemished, maybe you think industry is an abomination, take a photo of anything that 'shocks', be it a pile of rubbish/trash, be it 'dirty' industry, expensive buildings gone to waste, that's a waste, rotting food is a waste, and a waste of money is rotten. By that reasoning the 'Millenium Dome', a beautiful building in London, fits in the catagory of 'rotten'. Just try not to deviate too much I suppose.

I still think all the ideas listed here go with the same thinking patterns.
    You know, some good examples for some of the challeges that were posted were: Misplaced, Sillhouettes, Animals... All these give you a larger variety of ideas to play with..
    These subjects dosnt limit the ideas in anyway.

"Rotten"- However, all ends up to something that will ultimately disgust you.. right?

So there isnt much versatility in there. Basically, you are trying to find(and capture) the most disgusting object/subject possible which isnt very artistically amazing, i could take rotten shots that would make you throw up.. that's just dumb... and ROTTEN!

Yea, so there... i just won the contest without presenting a photo.. hehe
    Claude

Thanks
    Take a photo of this thread, post it in the thread, sorted.

Well, as had above 'Rotten Luck', where's the vomit inducing tone of that? A wilting rose; plants only wilt when dead, a wilting rose is one step before rotting, there might be no 'ewwwww' factor, but who says you have to show one? It's what you put into this that counts. If I could take a photograph, I'd probably have done something in this thread, sadly I have neither the means nor experience.

Coming back to 'Rotten Luck', rotten is a word that is applicable to many things, in the English language at least. Take Rotten Play or Rotten Sportsmanship for example:

Take one black and white image of a cricket player.
    Ball in right hand behind back.
    [Slightly taller than wide picture, [no] black border at top and bottom, the top is above the small of the back, the bottom is the top of the thighs, wider than the width of the cricketer.]
    Part of the ball clean, part of the ball with mud smeared on it.

Something like that maybe. You might think this choice of challange is inferior to the others; it could well be, it isn't to me. I don't know what you can do, and that's the idea of this thread and this challange, what can you do with the word Rotten, and it's just a word remember, it has many applications.

EDIT: Another possibility, a rotten photograph? Something that looks bad. The problem with that one however is that it has to be obvious that it's intended to look bad yet still be well done. This is pushing the limits of the word somewhat, but if you can take well a photo that is meant to seem as though it looks bad then kudos to you. If you just take a bad photo saying, 'that's the point'... I could do that.
    Last edited by Rhynome; April 11th, 2006 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    I won't have time to do this, but maybe a picture of a child throwing a temper tantrum or taking a cookie out a cookie jar or beating up their sibling... being a rotten child.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynome

On a side note I want a camera, we have deer near where I live, if you go searching for long enough you'll eventually see a large group of deer and of course at some stage it has to be mating season... NO, I don't mean that, I mean photos of stags sparring.

read my mind...fresh from kiel wisconsin( i know...over exposed...was doing 68mph when taking pic)hmmm..rotten pic of rotten house..

Last edited by xanadu; April 12th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.

Thanks
    well, it was tricky. especially when english isn't your mother tongue and you don't know phrases or something like that. like insane wrote, i first had to translate it a bit and looked it up in the dictionary... anyway, the subject i chose is quite "traditional" i guess...
    very nice entries so far, but i seriously hope there's nothing hiding in somebody's fridge anymore...

"colors of decay"

Thanks
    oh man!! now i feel all bad cuz i'm the only one with the rotten and gross food. maybe i gust didn't toked enough time to find somthin' beter. oh well...i gues i have to open my mind more.
    oh...and, nice photos xanadu and stine. kep it up.

Thanks
    no worries, alucard. if i had creatures in my fridge i would've taken photos of them, too.

Thanks
    - deleted -
    Last edited by Norwin; April 14th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
    -

Thanks
    cluadeEGYPT said "...all ends up to something that will ultimately disgust you.. right?"

Agreed.
    Art is intended to evoke feelings right. In this case one of disgust.
    And yes, the CHALLENGE is in finding creative ways to do that.

As I reread my earlier post I was a little - pardon the pun - disgusted at myself for the way I sounded. I certainly didn't mean to sound like a pompas, egocentric, know-it-all. Forgive me, please if I did. I was only trying to rally and spawn motivation.

And I meant that if it were voting season I may find many photo ops of politicians slinging mud and patting themselves on the back, and such. Those rotten word mongers.

I hereby denounce my cryptic ways!

I DO have an idea for this challenge - if only I can pry the dig cam out of my wifes clutches long enough.

Thanks
    Thanks for the clear up, and good luck with getting that there cam.
    Insane, well, I suppose you'll just have to try and get something else... shame.
    Stine, I quite like your pics, and the rust one keeps the standard up, if I could hold a little parade I would, but ah well... I can't.

Thanks
    Rotten, but still visited

Keep up the good work,
    Ali the Nake

Check Http://www.popescoo.net

If you want to make money with your photos, graphics, 3d, vectors and also illustrations, click here

Or you may want to download my royalty-free photos at:
    http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery....id=385&rid=385

Thanks
    Looks like I have the same subject going as everyone else. :p

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks

new picture
    -

Thanks
    wow, so many rotten houses... very cool. have to say that insane's new pic is my favourite so far. great colors, so that's definetely an improvement to the one you posted before!
    oh, and rhynome: thanks, that's really nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast