Thanks

Cool Moving to Irvine...

Hi all,

Haven't posted in ages been so busy with work. Well anyway, i just got offered a job in Irvine, Ca. I start in May..Anyone here in need of a roomie? What are the cool spots there? WHats life like without a car?
    Last edited by Evil_Dan; April 9th, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
    www.st-hilaire.net

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yeah, these guys are looking for a roomate, and a good time.

Moving to Irvine...

Thanks
    Irvine is nothing like NY.
    In Irvine everything, and everyone looks the same.
    There is really only one city center and that's the Spectrum. Just alot of franchised stores and restruants. But good people watching none the less. If you are looking for somthing more eclectic and creative, Laguna Beach is just down the road, and further south are smaller beach communities like San Clemente and Dana Point.

Best of all the weather is great and so is the surf.
    Some stupid shows are on TV now that depict orange county: MTV's Laguna Beach, Bravo's The REAL Desperate housewives of Orange County, and obviously The OC.

These shows make me ashamed to live here, but they are somtimes acurate!

Where is your new job?
    Last edited by otis; April 9th, 2006 at 04:46 PM.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Del

Taco.
    youre kidding?

thats worse than taco bell

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    there is only one spot to live in OC...and that is Laguna. Get a tiny spot and be glad you can walk around and have a life.

irvine...good stuff:

hmmm...uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry.

I did my tour of duty there...the good stuff is all outside irvine....well except for the food...there are some great restaurants there if you stay away from the chains....its a mixture of canned suburbia and industrial complex life. very sterile and lacking any culture at all. really...try to get a spot in laguna...wake up on the weekends, walk the beach, grab some taco loco, check out some artists, paint some landscapes, have a bbq, enjoy the sun set, and thank god you arent trapped in the traffic grids watching tv.

J

Thanks
    Nope, I grew up near the original Del Taco and the food there is still pretty good. Now, I live off the nostalgia, as there aren't many outside the West.

I agree about Laguna and Irvine, though.

Thanks
    I got a job at a certain game company that rhymes with Lizard I imagine it's going to be a rough switch espcecially the no car thing. Also getting a place without being there is a pain in the ass. Hopefully the adjustment period won't be too rough.

Jason, i had a nice chuckle at your description. I'm hoping there is a little more to that.
    www.st-hilaire.net

Thanks
    dan...no jokes there man...straight dope.

congrats on the gig...thats great news. You will learn a lot I am sure.

As far as irvine...you are going to need a car immediately. The beauty is the roads in irvine and those freeways are nice and wide...you can get a nice car to enjoy. driving is a lifestyle in OC and you will spend a lot of time in a car...I didnt get it til I moved there, but the whole nice car, nice car stereo, great music selection will keep you sane in that traffic. seriously...i would head down to laguna and make the commute...but there is a trick there too...only live on the NORTH of main beach....the other side is buried in traffic in the morning...the north side has two ways out. (both of which lead to blizz easily) Though, going out is never as good as going back in...it is really the best place to live in OC. You can find other artists, get around on foot for pretty much everything, and its not much more expensive than irvine. good luck.

consider my words soul saving suggestions as you are about to venture from a world of culture to a city without. You can see for yourself in a very short period of time when you finally move. Most people you work with will not live in Irvine. They will end up being in Laguna, Laguna Hills, Lake Forest, Balboa, Huntington or Costa Mesa for the most part...a few might live in Tustin but that is just as corporately designed lifeless as Irvine.

OC and LA have everything going on that you could ever want except perhaps skiing or camping. Below are a few good spots and restaurants.

1. The Gypsy Den....Costa Mesa...artsy coffee shop hangout.
    2 Taco Loco- best mexican...Laguna Bch. A close second is Fresca's in Costa Mesa. those two spots are awesome for grub.
    3. Balboa (people watching and beach stuffs)
    4. Harbor Cafe - diner hangout spot in huntington beach...good spot for late night food.
    etc...Ill post more later...dinner time!
    5...this one is far...but Venice Beach on Saturdays and Sundays is worth the drive.
    6. richard macdonald sculpture gallery..laguna bch....beautiful stuff...worth the time for sure.
    7. catching a movie at the spectrum (irvine) or the block (orange) ..people watching...spending money on chain food...and nice theatres.
    8. Pearl...huntington bch...that store is friggen huge and will dwarf what you are used to. their paper section is the size of most art stores alone. its heaven in there. if you dont want to spend money on art supplies you never even knew existed then hide the wallet.
    9. lacma and the getty...LA
    10. Santa Monica Promenade on weekend nights...the art book store there makes the trip totally worth it.
    11....and on it goes.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason Manley; April 10th, 2006 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks
    no car anywhere in socal=hell

I grew up here. I know.
    I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    get a motorcycle.

The only way to travel in SoCal...Fun without traffic, fast IN traffic.

Thanks
    Jason thanks!

I kept looking for places in Irvine just to be close to work, but now i'm thinking that was the wrong idea. I'll look around the places you mentioned. I can't wait till im settled in, moving is such a headache. Now back to Craigslist...
    www.st-hilaire.net

Thanks
    As someone who's lived in irvine for a long time and lived in NY for 6 months, you're definately in for a shocker.

No one in OC walks. You know that song, "nobody walks in LA?" It shoulda been written about OC, Irvine especially. Irvine is a planned community through and through. It's safe, and pretty and...sterile and boring. By and large, everything closes at 9pm (you'll be lucky to find a coffee shop open passed 10pm, wtf!) Jason made some great suggestions. Irvine's probably the most expensive suburb city in OC too. Anything south of it is usually still nice, but a good deal cheaper.

Grats on the job.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Hiya Dan,

There is a CA member (a friend & old classmate) who is currently a concept artist over at Blizzard, his name is Joe Peterson, his CA handle is Kress. He's living in Long Beach.... his social security num... oops. I would imagine he would have some pointers for you! I'll shoot him an email and point him to this thread

Great news & Good Luck!

Thanks
    Wow man great gig ! You deffinatly have job security for a while working at Blizzard . Might even be worth trying to get a condo when you get more established ..why pay rent when you can invest ? Anyways I don't see how you are going to get around very well without a car but good thing is they have a great Metro bus system that runs 24/7 !

Thanks
    Irvine? 24/7 Bus System? You're just making that up....
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    I'll guess I'll be riding my bike for a while. The concept of not having a subway system is mind boggling to me. You're get so used to just hopping in and out trains/cabs/busses in NYC that you forget people actually need cars in some places.

I remember reading in Sparths website that he was learning how drive after moving to Texas. I wonder how that is working out for him.
    www.st-hilaire.net

Thanks
    Prepare yourself for what I call the "meta-suburbs." Irvine is a corporate installment of an equal part track home apartment complexes (all of which look identical) and equally spread out strip-malls, usually consisting of a grocery store, del taco and a branch of some chain-restaurant. Every "block" (if that's what you can call them) is identical in that there are no people walking around and the grass is all cut to measure.
    But there is a healthy sprinkling of million-dollar soccer moms trying to run you over in their Porsche SUVs and middle-aged business-men driving their BMW "this car is so expensive you'll never see the model again in public."
    I love Irvine, the way I love Nazis.
    OK, so sorry if I'm raining on your parade, but I had to be honest about what you're getting into. You may not mind this stuff if you've grown up in the suburbs or anywhere else equally culturally-deficient. I grew up in the Bay Area (SF) so coming down here I was like a fish out of water.
    But Jason's right, if you move to Laguna or somewhere like Newport Beach, those are like real towns and can be fun. Be prepared to drive about an hour to LA if you really like going out.
    If you like house music, real, funky, non-commercial house music, there's a restaurant called Tapas that hosts a badass party called 'Focus' on Tuesday nights. And that's right near Blizzard.
    BTW I'd welcome you aboard but I don't work there anymore I've moved on to something else in the area. I was the concept artist for the cinematics team. Tell 'em I said hi hehehe.
    Best
    Joe
    ps hit me up when you get out here and maybe want to hit that club
    Butterfly in the sky
    I can go twice as high...
    x3no

Thanks

Wink

Jesus Kress, youre not making this move any easier. I think im going home and cry in the fetal position. lol...
    Last edited by Evil_Dan; April 11th, 2006 at 10:11 PM.
    www.st-hilaire.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    get a motorcycle.
    quoted for truth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    get a motorcycle.

The only way to travel in SoCal...Fun without traffic, fast IN traffic.
    and a working one at that!

i grew up in the oc. i moved out a yr ago. i came to visit my parents back in october. a fight between 40 guys (no joke, a huge party was going on next door) broke out and a gun was drawn. i ran like hell.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Yeah, Mat, but ... no offense...you live in the shitty part of OC. Anything north of Irvine starts to scare me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |NTeRN
    and a working one at that!

touche!

ouch!

Thanks
    Didn't mean to scare you Just wanted to prepare you, as long as you keep yourself entertained it's cool...
    Good luck
    ps what position/team did you get hired on for?
    Butterfly in the sky
    I can go twice as high...
    x3no

Thanks

oh..another funny fact about irvine....

Irvine is the only city where I once saw a company with dead grass painted green so that it looked nice.

kress hit the nail on the head. Im telling ya one last time before you make the mistake of living in the grid...laguna beach on the north side is where u want to be...perhaps tho you will need to find that out for yourself. been there...done that....beware.

hehehe

Thanks
    I'll be staying in Irvine, UCI area, until I learn how drive and get a car. Once I do that I'm heading to the beach!

BTW thanks for help everyone.
    www.st-hilaire.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Dan
    I'll be staying in Irvine, UCI area, until I learn how drive and get a car. Once I do that I'm heading to the beach!

BTW thanks for help everyone.

gulp....im sorry.