Thanks

Preparing character designs?

I have been asked to prepare a sheet of character designs for a new client.
    Although I have experience in commercial art and design, I have never been asked to produce character sketches in a commercial environment before. My question is simply, is there a standard "form" that clients expect? For example, 3 to 5 sheets, various poses including a standard 3 views... action poses... etc. ? Or is the entire setup typically at the discression of the artist? My impression of the client, though I have not discussed the job in detail yet, is that he may not be very knowledgeable about the exact process for this type of work either - which is my cue to start setting precedent.

Does anyone (esp. anyone who has worked with figure models or game design) have any professional experience with this?

Or maybe a better question - since the only school that teaches you these things seems to be the "school of life experience," is there anywhere (maybe a thread on CA that I have not yet discovered?" where people talk about industry "standards" and "expectations" for various jobs such as this?

Thanks in advance,

PS-Sorry if this section is too general for such a question.
    - Ben

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Most of the examples I've been asked for, consists of a B&w front, side, and back view of the characte, a couple thumbnails, 1 ful color illiustration, and about 3 - 5 thumbnail sketches of motion studies. Than again. I am the farthest thing from a big name pro as you will see on the site.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    You raised some good points Ben. I'd like to see a thread, or a sticky outlining the actual workflow of a concept artist, so we can start to prepare for things like that. Because, in many of these areas I have no idea what a client would expect of me.

Just gotta wait to see what the pros say

Thanks
    In Industrial design, they usualy expect 3 to 5 different concepts of an object.

One concept per sheet including front and profile view and of course, a perspective view which is fully rendered either computer, photoshop or with markers. If there is mechanism or other moving parts, the actual way the object will be working is displayed.

But again, I am far from being a professional and this is industrial design so as far as concept art, it could be different

Thanks
    I'd say that when I think of a great Pro character sheet, I think of Dan Milligan's Maori Warrior Thunderdome 6 entry. Full figure render, action render, close-up render, sketches and action poses... I'd say the only thing that's missing is a rotation/turnaround. I'd throw in at least a 3-5 pose turnaround (front, 3/4 front, side, 3/4 back, back) and call it a day.

Of course, if you're just running concepts by the client, just throw down some expressive sketches in a variety of character designs. I wouldn't bust out the involved work until they'd narrowed it down for me.

Thanks
    That's pretty much what I was looking for - but I like the idea of hearing from pros about what various clients expect for various jobs (or rather than what a client expects, what they should be shown from a creators point of view.) How many revisions do you typically do if it seems that the client is stalling? etc. etc.

In this case, I am applying the standards of totally unrelated jobs to my current one. Thanks for the great replies so far - especially the Thunderdome link - any pros out there want to put in your 2 cents?
    - Ben