Moving to San Fran. Need your Help?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Moving to San Fran. Need your Help?

Ok so I'm looking to move to SF within the next year or so, but don't even know where to start. I'm wondering if any SF natives have any advice as to what areas to look into, what buildings, streets, price ranges or hot spots.

I'm curious where the SF residents who post here live (no I don't want your address ) But a round about idea of where some of you guys are living. Are you living downtown, outskirts etc. Apt. building or random apt. in the city.

These are questions that have been preventing me from really searching or feel comfortable about searching for a place in SF.

Everything I love about art, (fine arts, illustration, conceptual art) is happening in CA, and more specifically SF. Hell I'd move there just for the Shooting Gallery. Any advice to help me get started would be really great. Thanx a lot.

Mike

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mike- send me an email, I'll give you my phone # or something so I can give you some ideas... I just recently moved out here meself, I couldn't have done it without advice/friends in the city.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't offer much help, but I'll keep an eye on this thread as I am considering moving out to SF within the same time frame you are. I have to land a job first (lord know how long that could take) but who knows, maybe in a year we could be sharing rent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha ha, ya never know steph! God knows we'd most certainly be needing a roomate anyway right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike,
    I live in the City for Four years. But I basically lived Downtown Area By Union Square, Bordering Nob hill. This is a good places to look if you want to live downtown. 640 Mason is A great place to live that was my last apt. We payed only $1000 for a good size studio apt. utilities included. but the prices may have gone up. If you say you can only pay 1000 to the manager he will most likely give it to you(don't tell him his last Tenants told you the secret, haha). My Boyfriend and I, we payed $500 each, which is a great deal for our location. Nice Manager, and nice building. Just make sure you say you are a quiet person, because there are a lot of old people and he wants them to be comfortable, anyway. It was a great Apt. and really you don't have to be a mouse.
    lets see, if you look at places up and down Mason, that is good, and on Bush or Sutter street. Anywhere around that area, most of the time is decently priced, you might find a Jewel.But don't look for places lower then Post and down past Hyde street. This is getting into the tenderloine or The prostitute area and those places are cheap, getto, and lots of people doing crack or heroin. Also check out The Richmond District or Sunset Distrisct, it is out closer by the beach not so downtown, but nice and quiet if you want, and probably bigger space for cheaper.
    Look on Craigslist.com and you can find atp. for rent. in SF area. Places like Russian Hill, Nob Hill are all cool areas to live, and they have decent rent, right in the middle of downtown. Castro I heard wasn't too bad with rent This is the gay district, lots and lots of gay men, just forwarning you. Mission Disctrict can be a bit Getto, but I think in some areas pretty safe, lots of really good Mexican food, and cheap rent.
    Just get on Craigslist look for places and make appointments. Also if you take a few days go around to some areas and just walk around, and see if there are any postings in Apt. Doors for rent. Sometimes you can find that Jewel apt. this way. lots of looking, and writing down #'s or buzzing the manager at buisness hours.
    Good luck Mike. I Hope you find an awesome place. SF is Great!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx a LOT Poise, that's a really great starting point. You were a lot of help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've lived in just about every section of SF. My choice locations for living sub $1200 are:

Sunset district (great resturaunts)
    Russian Hill
    SOMA
    North beach

I don't recommend downtown because it's too noisy and there are too many bums and crackheads roaming about. But...to each his own.

craigslist.org is a good place to start.

-JK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    move to the tenderloin, like maybe hyde and turk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe in a few years I'll be making this trek as well.

What kinda problems are there with SF? Like earthquakes or something? Smog or whatev?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Capprotti, I've lived in San Fransico for about a 7 months now so I'm really new to the city myself. I live in Hayes Valley, pretty much the Lower Height area of the city. Not a bad area at all. For a two bedroom apartment with my bro we pay $1750 a month. Now for me being from orginally from the midwest, that price was insane. But relative to living prices in the city its not bad. Your ultimate sources to finding areas and places to live would be friends and Craigslist.org, which I'm sure your aware of. Hayes Valley is up and coming area for little trendy shops and stuff so people are really trying to move to this area. I have a lot of friends who live outside of the city, but with commuting and prices rising everywhere in the bay area, there really isn't that much of a difference. The further you move away the cheaper it gets in some instances. I would say everywhere is fine but the tenderloin, its a little skechy with homeless and crackheads roaming around. I'll be sure to post here with more info. If you have any questions just email me, I'd be glad to help out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    Maybe in a few years I'll be making this trek as well.

What kinda problems are there with SF? Like earthquakes or something? Smog or whatev?
    To answer your question, SF has a history of earthquakes, SF really doesn't have a smog problem that would be LA. Like i said in the post above I've been here for 7 months and I really like the city. Its not perfect by any means, but I really like it. My main complaint would be the cost of living. But it could always be worse.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.