Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Corel is now listening. Post your Painter wishlist here!

Thanks

Corel is now listening. Post your Painter wishlist here!

Thanks to Jinny Brown's referral, I've managed to open up direct dialogue with Corel's Program Manager, and I've got her full attention. She wants to know what the most prolific professionals such as yourselves feel/think about Painter 8, or Painter in general. This is your chance to be heard, by the person that makes decisions. No red tape, no B.S. Step up, the mic is on.
    http://www.ethereality.info - The art, music, photography, and writings of Robert Chang.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,353 Times in 2,876 Posts

Thanks
    Yes, I already forwarded all of them to Corel, and they've heard. But this wishlist should be for everything you've ever wanted in Painter, not just specific to Painter 8.
    http://www.ethereality.info - The art, music, photography, and writings of Robert Chang.

Thanks
    I think an interesting feature would be if we could somehow scan our own paper into the program, and it gets converted to an actual canvas we can paint on, mimicking the actual paper material scanned in.

Thanks
    ...don't know if this already is fixed in Painter 8...but i missed a compability to photoshop's layer-groups (don't know the word...like a directory for your layers)...

Thanks

Suggestions

Well...

OK, a few suggestions from the viewpoint of using Painter to create maps for 3D models. It's more a wishlist for usability rather than the painting side of things, which (speed of large brushes apart) is pretty good.

1. It would be very handy if Painter could save out TGA files with alpha channels (PNG would be useful as well)

At the moment I have to save as PSD, take them into Photoshop and flatten them, then save it. Or paint any alpha in Photoshop.

2. Being able to permanently rotate the canvas 90 degrees for non square canvas.

3. The ability to non-uniform rescale a canvas.

4. I can't find a way to do this, so I'm presuming they've been removed - but please reinstate tear-off custom palettes for brushes/paper etc.

5. The ability to resize dialogues palettes. Dual screens are becoming more affordable, and it would be helpful to be able to make more use of them. The colour wheel seems very small now.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks
    Here is a suggestion;

The brush creator is okay as it goes, but it currently acts more like a stand alone application. What I would like to see is the brush creator palette leaving as it is, but an extra button adding to the brush selector bar which will open a duplicate drop down of the left hand side of the brush creator palette. The brush controls drop down in the brush selector bar would be opened and closed via clicking the button. This way, brush adjustments can be made more conveniently without having to keep switching from the existing brush creator palette and back to the canvas (and in a similar way to Painter 7's brush controls).

I don't know anything about programming, but I'm assuming that the button would act as an alias to access existing code already incorporated into Painter 8 as part of the brush creator palette. Below is a picture of what I envisage the modified brush selector bar could look like (with controls button pressed once to display the drop down menu);

David

Thanks
    Originally posted by Roam
    I think an interesting feature would be if we could somehow scan our own paper into the program, and it gets converted to an actual canvas we can paint on, mimicking the actual paper material scanned in.
    Roam,

If I understand what you're saying, you can already do that.

Scan the paper and that image can be your Canvas.

or...

Scan the Paper, capture it as a Paper, open a new Canvas, and with the new Paper selected, paint with Grainy brushes or use Effects > Surface Control > Apply Surface Texture.

or...

Scan the Paper, open a new Canvas, in the File > Clone Source menu, check the scanned Paper file name, and using, for instance, the Impasto's Grain Emboss variant set to Draw to: Color and Depth, Depth Method: Original Luminance, paint to add texture to the Canvas or Layer. (You could, alternatively, set Depth Method: Paper, providing you've captured the Paper and it's the current Paper.)

If none of the above address your wish, how about explaining it in more detail, so Tanya willl understand what you mean?
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A few more suggestions

1.I would like Corel to take a look at Max or Maya and the way they use quad menus when you click and hold down on an icon (or right click in there case)

In Painter, some of the toolbar icons fly out when you click on them, but the shortcuts at the bottom of the bar expand, but then you need to manually scroll down, and pick the paper (or whatever) again.

What would be simpler (IMHO) is to have the pen highlight the selection and auto scroll, since it would be one action rather than two.

2.I would also like them to fix the problem with adjusting brightness and contrast/equalising an image on freehand selection. What happens at the moment is that the bounding box gets adjusted.

3. It would make more sense if the same keyboard shortcut for the canvas (Alt) could be used to pick up colours from the mixing palette.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks
    I always liked the idea of having a small floating magnified window which displayed the area around the cursor whist painting, rather than having to keep zooming in and out.

Up until recently, I had tried various shareware magnification utilities, but the brush strokes in the magnifying window aways seemed to lag behind the canvas brush stroke. I then found one which exhibited no noticable time lag, so I could view the brush stroke in sync with that on canvas click here

The above utility sems to have some software conflicts on my Mac (O.S 10.2.5) causing some of the coloristic features not to function. I can however right click over the magnification window to change magnifications on the fly by means of a contextual menu (1,2,4,8,16 and 42x).

My suggestion is to incorporate a feature like this into Painter 8, but with an added extra which will allow the magnification window to automatically convert to a 'floating colour chip' as colours are picked. ie, as the cursor/ eye dropper moves over the standard colour picker palette, mixing palette or colour set, the window is completely filled with the colour under the curser. As soon as the stylus is lifted away and back to the canvas, the floating window reverts back to magnification mode. The colour chip feature would allow an enlarged and direct comparitive view betwen picked colour and adjacent colours already on the canvas. The floating window could also be dragged to a second monitor screen perhaps.

Below is a demo. There would in reality only be one floating window present;

David
    Last edited by sandman; May 7th, 2003 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks

Painter 8 wish list

I like the new interface.

I wish "method" and "sub-catagory" were on the control strip and not just in the Brush Creator. I like to change these settings on the fly and going into the brush creator breaks up the speed and rhythm found in the old interface.(resat,bleed and jitter are. why not these?)

The lasso tool can be inaccurate.(hang over from Painter 7

Rotating a layer causes it to soften or blur. (I'm not talking about rotating the canvas.)

P.S.
    I'm working in OSX 10.2.6

Thanks for listening

Thanks

P8 Wish list

I agree with Mr Milligan. The interface is much nicer. How about a preview on the distort command so you can see the distort before you commit (like Photoshop). Also, I can't make "restore varient" a customized key like I could in P7- a small point but one I was fond of using.

Thanks

Re: P8 Wish list

Originally posted by Aaross
    Also, I can't make "restore varient" a customized key like I could in P7- a small point but one I was fond of using.
    I'll second that. I always set F2 to 'restore default variant'. This link to a function key is not do-able in Painter 8. I can access restore default variant using the brushes contextual menu (right click) though, but I miss that button click

David

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast