North Carolina Artists - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Artists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOO HOO, PAGE THREE!!!

kool-ka-lang: Welcome, pro artist or no, we appreciate anyone who seeks creative input here at the NC thread. Like I've said before, there are not very many of us here in the state, so we have to stick together Start up a sketchbook and let's see what you've got. I am always happy to give contructive criticism, if needed. Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself! Also, I have to tell you that I laughed at "the wastelands of boredom." Wilmington can't be as bad as Boone, though. At least you're close to the beach. Out here people go to the local wal-mart for entertainment. It's quite scary.

jeunesang: Welcome! I think we have a few folks from Raleigh don't we? C'mon speak up! It's great that you have so many interests. I think that helps to maintain a high level of creativity. You tend to not get too burned out on one thing. For myself, I pretty much use any type of traditional media as I can and I have recently strarted paiting digitally, which is a blast. Glad you're here!

All: I am planning of participating in this week's COW. The topic is quite interesting and I have already developed a story and some preliminary sketches for my entry. Anyone who wants to participate should check it out. I think it will be another huge round like the "winged healer." Man, that was a tough one! There were so many good entries I couldn't pick just one. Anyway, hope to see you guys there!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel Grack
    WOO HOO, PAGE THREE!!!

kool-ka-lang: Welcome, pro artist or no, we appreciate anyone who seeks creative input here at the NC thread. Like I've said before, there are not very many of us here in the state, so we have to stick together Start up a sketchbook and let's see what you've got. I am always happy to give contructive criticism, if needed. Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself! Also, I have to tell you that I laughed at "the wastelands of boredom." Wilmington can't be as bad as Boone, though. At least you're close to the beach. Out here people go to the local wal-mart for entertainment. It's quite scary.
    sketchbook? check.

But I gotta tell you, everything in there is jumbled up, over a span of a little more than a year, so it isn't really chronological. But I'm always up for crits, I can take the heat.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

ah dude, you live in boone? I went there a few years ago, and hey, you got some snowboarding and skiing up there! It ain't all that bad, I think. Might be a little dead during the summer there I guess.

I lol'ed at the wal-mart thing. reminds me of this new wal-mart that opened up. I went there a few weeks ago. The thing is, it's in the middle of nowhere, and it looked like the people in it were there just to....be there. But hey, I play guitar hero sometimes when I go there...

Yeah, the beach is a pretty cool place to be. I like it here, it isn't too crowded and poluted like a big ass city, but it isn't no dead nowhere place either. and about my location thing, lol, I was just bored out of my mind that time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kool: We do, ideed, have a goodly amount of the snow-type activities. It's not all that bad unless you live here. It's quite different to be bored for a few days as compared to a few years. I'm getting ready to move, actually. I can only take that level of mind-numbing boredom for so long. It gives you a lot of extra time to draw, though. I stopped by your sketchbook, by the way. You should post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell has froze over...page 3...amazing. I have been on a bit of a hiatus from this site for a while. Been taking some painting classes so nothing I have done recently has been scan sized and my digital camera was just sent back to Fuji for repairs. I hope to get some of my sketch book scribbles up soon.

Grendal: I admire your work as always bro. The healer is very nice, thx for posting the process as well.

jeunesang: I went to NC State, C of 2001. I live in Raleigh, any local sketch groups you know about?

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wheezy, good to hear from you! I am in the same situation with my digital camera. Luckily, I've been doing enough small traditional works and digital paintings that it doesn't matter much. Thanks for the kindness, man. I'm deeply entrenched in this weeks' COW, so I should have some new stuff up soon.

Hey, I think we might actually have enough people in Raleigh to start a sketch group. You guys should pursue that. I'll bet if you advertised you could get quite a nice gathering. I'm not familiar with Raleigh, so I'm not sure where would be the best place, but hitting up the coffe shops are usualy a good bet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not exactly a sketch group and its not free but it is in Raleigh
    http://www.jerrysartevents.com/lifedrawing.html

A concept guy I work with is teaching the class.

Ideas are easy. Making them real is hard.
    Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW if you are going to the IGDA meeting next week, Dana would appreciate it if you RSVP.

Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm very excited about the meeting. Will there be a chance for us to meet up, perhaps? It's very rare, never actually, that we get to congregate in one space. Perhaps right before we could meet up? I'm afraid afterward might be bad for me due to the 3+ hour ride back home. My husband has to work the next day so we don't want to be on the road any later than we have to. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll probably try to arrive on the early side just so I can get a handle on what I am required to do. If we can figure out who each other is then I think we can probably pull off an unofficial get together.

Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is this event you pplz are going to?

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wheezy: There is a meeting of the NC chapter of the IGDA at the School of Communication Arts tomorrow evening. We had to RSVP so I don't know if you can just stop by. This is one of the posts on page two with more info.

Chirp Chirp, would you know if people who didn't reserve a spot can show up?

I am completely unfamiliar with the area, so I have no idea about a meeting place. The event is at the Digital Circus campus, right? There has to be some sort of coffee shop or caffeteria or something around. Anybody know?
    We are making a day trip out of our visit, so I'll be around all day before the panel starts at 7.

Last edited by Grendel Grack; April 23rd, 2007 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding the RSVP, it is not mandatory, Dana was just trying to get a general head count of the number of people to expect and she asked me to relay that info.

Meeting places.... the School of Communication Arts place is off by its self. Triangle Town Center is probably the nearest major landmark I think we will have plenty of time to hang out before it starts.

Here is the official itinerary for tomorrow.

All,

Here is the tentative program schedule for tomorrow:

6:45-7:15
    - Refreshments in theatre lobby
    - Destineer's demo reel will play while attendees get seated.

7:15-8:00
    - Participants will take places on the stage. Rafael will have the podium,
    panelists will have seats.
    - I'll kick off the presentation, thank our sponsors and let them have a
    quick word.
    - Rafael will introduce each speaker and facilitate discussion. A
    microphone will be passed among panelists.

8:00-8:30
    - Q&A session with audience
    - Wrap-up

8:30-9:00
    - Social and door prizes

Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so, the Town Center area seems to be pretty huge from what I can tell on Mapquest. It there a specific spot that you think might be best to meet at? Also, what time? I was thinking maybe around 5 or so. That would give us plenty of socializing and traveling time.

I guess the easiest way to meet would be to have a sign. I could make a big obnoxious one that says "CA NC Artists"

So let's do an official head count. Any one else think they can make it?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had to ask to get off of work early so I can make it down, I'll have to run by my house first and shower, hopefully i can be on the road by 4pm so i should get there around 6:30 I might be a little later (doubt it though) because this will be my first time I traveled down there by myself. Ive already been to SCA 3 times, so I pretty much know where its at. As for meeting at the town center first, I think i know where thats at, im gonna get out maps tonight and plot my course. If I would have thought about us meeting up first I would have just got the day off (my shift starts at 12pm). That way I could be there around 5 or 5:30pm.

One question, I read the thread about this event and it wasnt made clear if we need a IDGA membership card so I went ahead and signed up for one but I havent gotten it yet, do I need one?

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heya,
    I'm going to be in Asheboro from May 17th-28th.
    Any of you CA'ers around the area?

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Mr. Dos Santos! It's great to see that pro artists have an interest in the state. If we have a market for illustration, I haven't found it I'm in Boone, which is several hours away from Asheboro.

BuckWeisel: I don't think you need a mambership card. I don't have one either so we can muscle our way in together if needed

All: I've had a change of plans and I don't think I'll be able to get to the area until 6:30 or so. I guess I'll just meet you guys at the theater.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, it sounds like I'll see you guys tomorrow around 6:30ish.

DSillustration - I am not too sure what all there is to do in Asheboro other than see the Zoo. However, Raleigh is about 1 - 1.5 hours away and there is a fair amount more up here including quite a few game companies such as: Epic, Red Storm, Vicious Cycle, Destineer, and soon EA just to name the major ones. If you can make it this way I can give you a tour of Destineer Studios and possibly some of the others. In addition, I believe you did some art for Womengamers.com and you could definitely meet the women behind the site since one is my wife and the other is my sister-in-law. Let me know if you can head up this way during your stay at NC and I'll start making arrangements.

Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirp Chirp View Post
    If you can make it this way I can give you a tour of Destineer Studios and possibly some of the others.
    I just may take you up on that.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The IDGA meeting was very informative, great to hear from people in the game industry.

Chirp Chirp: Sorry I didnt get to say good bye. Thanks for taking time to speak at this meeting and it was great to meet you.

Grendel: Hope you didnt get lost on the way back. Next time we meet is HeroCon. Great to meet you too. Sorry for being so quiet, I don't talk much.

Now we need a sketch party!

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The IGDA was enlightening. It was great to hear the info straight from the source.

Buck: We didn't get lost on the way back, thankfully. I enjoyed talking with you and I look forward to seeing you at Heroes!

Thanks, Chirp Chirp for your time! I enjoyed hearing about your experiences and I think I have a better idea about how to pursue my career. Your time and effort with all of the questions was very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I am glad you guys enjoyed everything. I don't normally think of my story as being "enjoyable" but I am happy to hear there was some useful information buried in my babble. I wish I had some more time to hang out but by the time the line of people cleared, you guys had left.

Then of course on the way home I regretted not mentioning so many things and I hope the over all image of the industry didn't come across as a daunting and oppressive boyish fantasy because it really isn't even though it desperately needs more women.

Keep in mind every company has a different culture. It is just as important for you to like the company you are applying at as it is for them to like you and your work.

I was a bit disappointed that the links I mentioned were not handed out but the information can also be found here...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=138
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=139

So I am always here and if you guys need crits or some guidance just let me know and I'll see what I can do. As cheezey as this might sound it is very true, just keep learning and be passionate about making games not just playing them.

Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone in here is interested in a freelance and possible full time concept art position for a game company and is local to the Raleigh area please get in touch with me.

Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all Im Matt from Raleigh, NC. Im a Sophmore at ECU attending their art program I work mostly in watercolor and graphite I dont have a sketch book or anything posted on here yet but when I take photos for my porfilio I will be sure to start a thread im hopeing to work in the gaming industry after Im done. and just wanted to say hey to everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nc anime convention

so is there really an NC anime convention, and where is it held so i can find info on it.

another person fome NC. (so now we r a slightly bigger group)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry for the long response time, I've been moving and traveling the past two weeks, so access to a computer has been difficult. I'm glad to see some new folks, don't be shy, start up a sketchbook and show us what you can do.

MSS1209:I'm partial to watercolor and graphite myself. In fact, most of the work that I do is in graphite. Love it. We all look forward to seeing your work. Be sure to let us know when you have some stuff posted.

kikaider2095: Awww, you just missed animazement in Raleigh. Here is the website. It's not the largest convention I've ever been to, but it's fun and there is plenty of stuff to do and see. I don't know of any others in NC, but if you have the time and the money, Anime Weekend Atlanta is the place to be. If you are interested in other types of conventions, Heroes in Charlotte is a comic convention (occuring Fathers' Day weekend). Eventhough it is mostly comics they have a few anime vendors that offer REALLY good prices on a variety of stuff, especially perfect collections.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome new comers, and hey to everyone.

Grendel: Are you going to be at Heroes fri-sun or something more specific? Im asking because with fathers day and my work week starting on sunday, ill probably turn it into a day trip. I was wanting to at least stay over night and take my time seeing everything.

EDIT: Just read the guest list Teresa Davidson is my grandma's sister.

Last edited by s.ketch; June 12th, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Buck, I'll be there from Friday (around 11 am) to Sunday at small press table 22 in the artists' alley. Look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a pretty decent time at HeroesCon. It was a bit overwhelming with all that there was to see. It was great seeing some of the artists and live demos. I didn't go on Friday as planned, I had stayed up all night Thursday working on a painting for my dad on fathers day. When dad got home I told him I didnt go and he said we could go Saturday, so thats when I was down there. We got lost because we had a crappy map. We didn't get there till 4 or 4:30.

I was surprised by the amount of comic books there. I wish I had the patience for looking through it all, but after 45 mins of flipping and trying to get around people I just gave up and skimmed the booths for things that caught my eye.

About half way through our time there, me and dad headed to Indie Island to check out the artists. It wasn't till we left that I realized the opportunity I had to do some networking, kinda wish I had spoken up more.

Grendel Grack: I went through artist ally a few times looking for you. I remember you saying table 22 so I was looking for that, I didn't see it. Then I was just trying to spot you. Once I got home I found the map in that book with spider man on it. Then I seen it was SP22 and where you were at and I kicked myself. So im sorry I didn't stop by to check out your stuff.

Before we left I stopped by one of the booths by the entrance to pick up the 300 book (for a lot less than barnes&nobles i might add). I wanted the Marvel Zombie books too, but I couldn't find them anywhere.

So all in all it was a good first time at a comic book convention. I got to see great local talent and my future competition. I came home and started drawing that night.

Oh yeah, how could I forget, Rosario Dawson!!!! I seen a long line, I came around the corner and there she was. It was cool that she took the time to come out and talk to fans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heroes Con was fun. I attend it every year (I live in Charlotte). It's always great to walk around and meet the artists, talk to them about their work and processes.

Grendel, it was great to finally meet you. Once I figured out it was you, everything suddenly hit me and I remembered your work that I had seen on your website. It was nice to see your work in person as opposed to a screen. I hope you will make it out next year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys, Heores was great fun and also very lucrative. We did a lot better than last year, so there is a good chance we will go again. My friends and I had a great time at the table and I met several CA members, which was a real treat. Cheeks-74 (Sean Galloway) was there and gave me some very helpful advice and tips on improving my portfolio. Thanks Sean!

Chad: It was a pleasure meeting you. I'm glad I decided to wear my CA t-shirt that day!

Buck: It's too bad you couldn't find us but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Heores is a great first time convention. Everyone is very friendly and some of the vendors have great discounts (as you discovered). I'm glad you had fun.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.