North Carolina Artists - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Artists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check them out Chirp: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Basically, you get one week to create an image for the topic. Then just post the image before the deadline. The moderators set up a poll, and the members of CA get to vote for the winner. Everyone is encouraged to post comments, and you can generaly get some helpful feedback.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirp Chirp
    Grendel: Well I am more of a designer type than artist. I went to NCSU college of design and I am a game designer by trade. Additionally, since I work with and communicate with artists all the time I am constantly reminded of the fact that I am not an artist. =)

What are the weeklies and EOW?
    Hey, Chirp. What do you mean you're no an artist? 'Course you are. Like Grendel said, I bet you'd get some great feedback on the EOW and the Industrial Design of the Week as well. Your architechture stuff and especially your vehicle designs are way awsome. Great sketchbook you have.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wakey wakey we gonna do a CHOW or what?

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Buck, how did the contest go? I'd be up for a CHOW or two. Would you want to try for this week?

Also, sorry for the short notice but there is a figure drawing session tomorrow night from 7:00pm - 9:00pm at the ASU Art Dept for $2.50 if anyone is interested. I'll be there along with a few other friends. They have it every Tuesday until the end of the semester.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. 2.50 for a figure drawing session. I live just east of charlotte and the closest place for figure drawing are classes in Salisbury for about 14.00 bucks for a 2 hours class and you have to sign up for about a 6 week session.

Chad - I had a number of illustration classes with Jamie Frankie. Tell him Bryan Fowler says hi. Like you say, UNCC is not Ringling but for the money it's not bad. I got my BFA in illustration from there in 99 and work fulltime as a graphic designer and do some freelance illustration.

Chirp chirp - are you working for any of the gaming companies in Raleigh? I know Epic is up there along with a couple of others. If so, I'd like to pick your brain on some stuff. Drop me an email if you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bfowler
    Chirp chirp - are you working for any of the gaming companies in Raleigh? I know Epic is up there along with a couple of others. If so, I'd like to pick your brain on some stuff. Drop me an email if you can.
    Yes I work in Raleigh and either have worked at or with people from all of the local game companies in the area. I could probably give you a full history and lineage of them all as well =P

Ideas are easy. Making them real is hard.
    Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, we're really lucky to have such inexpensive drawing sessions. It's for the art students so keeping it cheap is kind of a necessity. I'm trying to put something in this week CHOW. I love the topic. It's one of those situations where I had an idea right away and I feel compelled to create it. Great stuff. I have a major crunch deadline on Monday so I'm not making any promises, but I'll try my best to complete it by Sunday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished my piece for this week's CHOW. Buckweisel, are you still in? 10 coolness points to the one who gets the most votes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh damn i just rememberd mine. i actually was going to do this weeks. I was going to finish it yesterday after work. Oh well. Im gonna get started on #61.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet, I'll try for that one as well. It is also a pretty rockin' topic. They've had some really great ones recently. Sooo many possibilities. C'mon, everyone! Get off your asses and CHOW!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i already submitted my final CHOW. I put a link to this thread and our profiles in my signatrure. Hopefully I can get some more names, whos with us?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Buck, I'm still working on mine. I might have to go out of town on Sunday, so I'm not sure if I can finish it in time. I guess I can just post what I have anyway even if it's not done. It won't go to poll, but that's not what matters really. We'll see. Nice job on your entry!

oh crap I need to do that for my sig, too. Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by Grendel Grack; March 3rd, 2007 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CATL STONE mountain TREK

stone mtn. trip on saturday the 24th... if any of you NC extended CATL family fiends are down. should be awesome times sketchin, hikin, photographing etc.

more information here on the CATL discussion thread

hope all is well up there, ain't spring lovely???

guggenjoel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guggs, thanks for the invite! While I wouldn't hesitate to miss some mind-blowing sketch action accompanied with a huge rock and godzilla-sized carvings of memorable confederate personalities, I am sad to say I must decline. I'm getting ready to move (possibly back to ATL - not sure yet, so don't get excited) so funds are on super tight budget mode.

Also, no flaming deity of heaven or hell will get me out of working on Saturdays. Retail's a bitch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Triangle IGDA

If any of you in NC are interested in meeting people in the game industry and making contacts, the Triangle IGDA gets together on a regular bases.

http://www.igda.org/nctriangle/index.html

- nXain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tip nXain. I have browsed the IGDA site before and it has a lot of great information. The date for the next meeting is not posted, however. Would you happen to have a general idea when it may occur? I would be very interested in attending.

NEWS: Anyone who is planning on attending Heroes Con in Charlotte, Shelton has just updated the website. If you want to reserve a table, it's best to do it as quickly as possible - they fill up fast!

Last edited by Grendel Grack; March 13th, 2007 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow its already been a year since the last herocon? i think i actually may be able to go this year.

thanks nXain. I wan to get into the game industry here in NC. Eventually i want to work for Epic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, BuckWeisel! You must come. Last year was quite fun. I'm interested to see how this year will be, though. They had a bunch of stuff planned last year because it was their anniversary year. This time, I don't think it will be quite as big. We'll see.

If we can get enough people to participate we can plan a sketch party. Let's start the ball rolling now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The next Triangle IGDA event is:

---------------------------------------------------------
    April 24, School of Communication Arts, 7-9pm

We are finally going to do a "breaking in" panel geared toward students and
    young professionals.

June we'll shift the focus back toward professionals and we are hoping to
    line something up at the Lincoln Theatre in downtown Raleigh.

----------------------------------------------------------

- nXain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nXain
    The next Triangle IGDA event is:

---------------------------------------------------------
    April 24, School of Communication Arts, 7-9pm

We are finally going to do a "breaking in" panel geared toward students and
    young professionals.

June we'll shift the focus back toward professionals and we are hoping to
    line something up at the Lincoln Theatre in downtown Raleigh.

----------------------------------------------------------

- nXain
    Oh cool. Is that going to be like a Q&A from professionals or is it going to be like some kind of seminar? Thanks for all this info btw. I was actually looking to go to SCA.

Grendel-yes, sketch party sounds great. I looked at my calendar, baring any un foreseen circumstances, I will be there this year. let me know where y'all are going to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be at the Hero's con with a booth selling my first comic I'm self publishing called "5 More Minutes". It's about the only damned man to escape the underworld and his hunt for the monsters that roam the earth on Halloween night.

I'll give people more heads up as we get closer to the con. I've called Heros to get my booth (they doubled the price this year to 200 bucks, ouch) If Sheldon isn't there they won't book you a booth. You have to mail or in the flyer from their website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We have already reserved our table and I will be attending the entire con. I don't know our location at this time, but I'll let you guys know so we can get together.

bfowler: It's great to hear that you are self-publishing your comic! It takes a lot of work and money. I look forward to seeing it.

Buck: Glad to hear that you can make it. I forget, is this your first convention?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the official email sent out for the next Triangle IDGA meeting:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAVE THE DATE – APRIL IGDA MEETING

When: Tuesday, April 24th, 7:00-9:00 p.m.

Where: School of Communication Arts, Digital Circus Theatre www.hdigi.com

Who: Game developers and anyone interested in making games

Sponsor: School of Communication Arts & TBD

“Breaking Into the Game Industry” Panel

Confirmed Speakers:

Dr. Michael Capps, President, Epic Games

Garner Halloran, Senior Engineer, Red Storm Entertainment

Eric Peterson, President, Vicious Cycle Software

Moderator:

Rafael Chandler, Creative Director, Media Sunshine

Find out how to get a job with the Triangle’s top game companies. Learn how to make the best possible impression with potential employers and discover what makes the top brass tick. All you eager students and young professionals, this is the event you’ve been waiting to attend.

SPECIAL INVITATION – RSVP BY MARCH 16TH
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    To RSVP or get on the Triangle IDGA list, contact Dana Cowley (dana.cowley@clearimagepr.com)

Thanks,
    nXain

PS, I'm not going to this one as I'm well past this stage, but it seems like an interesting night for industry noobs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, I wouldn't go to a school like SCA. If you want to go the specialized school route, do Full Sail or DigiPen. Better yet, just go to a good university or art school and study there. ECU has a very good art program. UNCG does too. The School of Design at NCSU is very good. UNC is still stuck too much in old school art for art's sake, but you can't beat the UNC name brand. For pure art schools, consider places like SCAD and MCAD.

If you can't afford a pricey art or game school, then think about just buying the software and working really hard without a formal education. In this business, your portfolio is everything and you can work that to make it great without having to relocate or pay some school like SCA a fortune.

Overall, I think the University route is by far the best way to go and gives you the most back unless you're 100% you have the talent to be a great illustrator and don't really care about being well-rounded. Classes for digital tools and modeling are easy to find now, both at Universities and community colleges. Wake Tech and CPCC also have game / simulation programs now.

In the end though, everyone judges what you can do by your use of the pencil and anatomy. Everything else can be taught on the job.

- nXain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nXian: Thank you for the info! I will be there. It sounds like a great opportunity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grendel: yeah tis my first convention, looking forward to it.

nXian: Thanks so much for your advice, Ive been struggling with what I should do school wise. I have some free 3D software and im not a stranger to low and high poly modeling (i just need to quit being lazy and practice ) Im deffinately going to go to this event, thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am apparently one of the confirmed speakers now at the next IDGA meeting, so if any of you NC people are going then let me know so I can say hi in person.

Ideas are easy. Making them real is hard.
    Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, I'm not really a pro artist, but I'm on CA, and I'm living in NC, so might as well say something about it...

I live in Wilmington, NC, I'm 16, and...yeah. I"m just here to get better, so I don't really know what type of artist I want to be.

Ju st wanted to let you guys know that I'm alive. :o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers everyone,

I hail from Raleigh NC, and I must say I'm impressed to see this thread so saliently placed. As for schooling goes I'm at State in Communication and Art + Design. I'm mostly into low poly 3D stuff for games, but good 2D CA skills never hurt anyone right? Well, actually I'm more of a generalist. I do all sorts of stuff. From videography to writing, performing and recording songs, I have a fairly wide variety of creative skills.

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi! If anyone is interested in contacting me, looking at my work or just learning more about me I'd suggest cruisin over to my website: www.jeunesang.com

greetings!
    -Alan

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.