North Carolina Artists - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Artists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, AD, only one of them is my minion. The others are agents acting on their own free will. There will be plenty of deliciously grotesque pictures depicting the best that heroes con has to offer. Prepare to be disgusted.

Don't worry, Guggen. There will be nothing left but a stinking pile of rubble.

To WAR!!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, I just found out we will be sitting at small press table #7. Around A-100 and A-200 on the convention map. See you there!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    things are kinda bunching up here i dunno if i can make it

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope "bunching up" isn't some type of weird metaphor. Don't worry, based on the general lack of interest of the North Carolina artists, I didn't really expect anyone to show up. Anyway, if you can come we would be happy to hang out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are few photos of the event. Check it Bleed.

some kind of creepy spider dude.
    Name:  heros_001.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  66.8 KB

Billy making money by sketching in others sketch book.
    Name:  heros_002.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  heros_003.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  heros_005.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  46.9 KB

Jay, Kims man, is stupid and very tall, Giant even.
    Name:  heros_006.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  heros_007.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  heros_008.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  heros_009.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  49.4 KB

Last edited by Splittingadams; July 14th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Its like i have come home, only i hate being at home so by association i hate you.

HAIL MEGATRON... the site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Split-that-Adam: Oh, these are terrific...I don't see too many other "costumed guests" in these photos...Please tell me that Spider-man was not the only guy to show up in disguise...'Cause if he was and he didn't decide to change back to his normal self in the car, that takes balls...Hell, ballz with a "Z" even...

Photo 1: The scene where Spider-man wore penny loafers was originally cut from the first film, but I hear rumors it may be reinserted when the final trilogy is released as a boxed set...

Photot 2: Nice linework...

Photo 3: Through the eyes of your portfolio...Yeah, the convention circuit doesn't change much from the view of animate to inanimate objects...

Photo 4: Guy in the gray shirt has his "I use my whole body to read" pose going on...That's a commitment to literacy...

Photo 5: Jay apparently keeps the fanboys at bay by threatening to snip off their various appendages with his Scissors Fingers technique...Very ancient and powerful kung fu right there...

Photo 6: This looks like a shot for a magazine...I'd read the article this was attached to...

Photo 7: What? No chair for Jay?

Photo 8: And suddenly the invasion of the overhead lighting began...

Hope you guys made out like bandits...

+AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice!

I like how jay divides the nations with two virile outstretched fingers

thanks for the photos; awesome job with landing the booths and all;

CATL sketchgroup wants to be like you, "con-ing it up" as it were if you will--> SOON!
    we shall plan a time when CATL + NCA are rocking one huge booth annex at some con. RAWK!

SINE~cerebrally,
    j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, just a reminder that there are, in fact, artists in this state and that we do have a community....somewhat. I've noticed a few people around lately that are from NC, so stop on by and introduce yourself!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I am Charlie and live in Raleigh, NC. I have found that there is a lacking of art related groups in NC. I would be down for a NC CA meetup from time to time just to meet up with ppl of simialar interests. I am the only person out of all my friends and family into art so it is hard for them to relate to why I am drawing all the time so I have to equate it to my cousin's scapbooking hobby or some other BS. Just would be nice to have some relatively local people to feed off of.

I really have liked the work from the people around here in NC. I figured with all the game development companies in RTP there would be more concept artists around.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boone, NC Graphic Designer here. I go to App State.

I use graphite, pen and I paint in photoshop. I more or less chose graphic design so I could have a steady job, but drawing and illustration is where my heart is at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't checked in recently. It's great to hear from some new voices!

wheezy: If you are the only artsy person you know, this needs to change. You will feel much better after meeting those of your own kind. I'm not quite sure at this point how we could manage a meeting, but perhaps we can arrange something after the holidays. If you are interested in coming to Boone (hi balsamic!) I have a show opening in January. Who can say no to free food?

Balsamic: Ahh, appstate. Not to bring you down man, but the graphics department is...how should I say this....not quite in touch with the greater world of graphic design. Of course, that is just my humble opinion. If you really want to get into illustration, you will need to fight for it. Don't just settle for graphic design. There are some professors there that can help you out, you just need to know who to ask. I'd be happy to make some recommendations if you like, just pm me. Oh yeah, I graduated from the Fine Arts dept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another NC guy.

I live just outside of Charlotte. Full time graphic designer although I got my BFA at UNCC in art. I do a tiny bit of freelance illustration but wish everyday to do more.

Right now I'm teaching myself the digital mediam as I've only done traditional for many years. I haven't found a medium yet I don't get attached to. My present favorite is acrylic painting with oil on top with some colored pencils thrown in and maybe some photoshop tweeks.

I'm also writing a novel and doing my own comic book 1 shot to shop around or self publish at the Hero's con this year. I've only got 8 pages left to ink and then the lettering to do.

That's about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bfowler, thanks for stoppin' in. Congrats on the nearly published book. Hero's is a great place to launch your project. I'm hoping this year will be even bigger than last.

I'm also in the process of exploring the digital creative realm. I really suck at it at the moment, but I'm saving up for a wacom so perhaps that will help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys, I'm Chad. I'm glad to see there's a thread here with some North Carolinians representin'. I live in Charlotte, NC and I attend the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I'm doing the BFA in Illustration. I'm learning under Jamie Franki, the guy who designed the new nickel with Thomas Jefferson facing forward and the 2005 Bison nickel. Awsome stuff, let me tell you.

Nothing really special about me other than I'm a junior and I'm hoping to live the life of a poverished illustrator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Chad! I guess Charlotte is the only place in NC where one could make it as an illustrator, so at least you have the right town. The rest of us have to scrape out a living in the sticks. But, scaring off mountain folk with a nail-studed two-by-four really gets the creative juices flowing.

How do you like that BFA program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel Grack
    Welcome Chad! I guess Charlotte is the only place in NC where one could make it as an illustrator, so at least you have the right town. The rest of us have to scrape out a living in the sticks. But, scaring off mountain folk with a nail-studed two-by-four really gets the creative juices flowing.

How do you like that BFA program?
    Thanks for the reply, Grendel. Charlotte is aight, but it's certainly not a place I'm going to stay in forever. However, Charlotte is (and has been) going through a major change and is becoming a big area of business and arts, much like Atlanta.

At any rate, to answer your question for the BFA program. It's decent (in general), but I don't mean it in a bad way... Just like any education, it depends on what you want to get out of it. Let me see if I can word this right...

UNCC is not Ringling, SCAD or CCAD or anything, but the instructors are very knowledgable and talented and truely care about the progression of their students. I personally think that Jamie Franki is one of the more talented art instructors at UNCC. And the Graphic Design instructors are awsome folks as well. However, I (and some of my student collegues) believe that there needs to be some improvement to the requirements based on one's concentration area. For instance, the 3D requirements for BFA art students... While abstract 3D art is nice and all, I fail to see how it applies to my education as an illustrator. I would rather do a figure sculpting class rather than installation art or fibers. Or, I would rather take 3D Illustration rather than Sculpture (which focuses on abstract/geometic forms). It would just be nice to have some classes that enhance my education in my concentration rather than feeling like some of my requirements are just "fillers".

But the Illustration program overall is nice though. Basically, it's fun, but frustrating at times.

I was looking at your website. I must say, you've got some really nice work. I really like your painted works on there. Great style.

Last edited by Chad Blevins; November 29th, 2006 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW where did all my NC peeps go? Chirp help me...

The Day-glo Pterodactyls

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, people tend to visit and never come back. It's hard to keep up interest when no one participates. I've been neglecting the thread as well, but at least I check my subscriptions regularly.

So, what's up in Raleigh? Are you planning on going to Animazement? I haven't decided yet. I really want to go, but I'm also planning on exhibiting at Heroes and DragonCon, so I'm not sure I can afford it. My friends will probably drag me along regardless of my decision, though.

If anyone is in the Boone area check out my show at the Turching Center. My paintings are on display in the Catwalk gallery.

Anyone else have any news or events going on in NC?

Chad: Thanks for the comments, man. Maybe since all of us are scattered about the state we can plan to participate in one of the weekly activites like COW, or 3CH. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW Animazement looks cool. I will be going to that for sure.

Grack your url seems to be down. I met another CA member here in Raleigh on IRC recently. He goes by Chirp. We should have a CA get some beers thing if you come to the Animazement event. What? Where? When? is the Dragoncon thing?

Raleigh is getting a little better now, there is a monthly Dr. Sketchies going on downtown now and some regular life study sessions at different places around town. Hard to meet others interested in art here, I am not really part of any group here, hence the reason I reach out on the internet.

Thanks for your word on my ssb and replying on here. I have now subscribed to this thread so i can see any updates coming through, that way i can keep up better myself.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grendel,

Thanks for the reply. I have to agree, it is sort of tough to keep a thread going, but I will try my best to help keep it moving along. I think your idea of doing the weekly COW or something would be nice. However, I don't know if I can promise with certainty (is that how it's spelled?) that I'll be successful in delivering drawings, though I will try my hardest. I'm in school and I work, so the little time I do have is dedicated toward my school work. But sure, I think it's worth a shot.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the topic for this week's CHOW was pretty interesting. I'm going to try to participate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm down. Happy CHOWing...

The Day-glo Pterodactyls

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet. You got any ideas yet, or should we keep it a secret?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another North Carolina resident here. I have been lurking round here for many months without posting or starting a sketchbook ( I know, I know...bad me), but I hope to become more involved in the future here. I will be watching you guys to see if the NC people come out on top in those CHOW bouts. I will try to get something on here one of these days.

Oh yeah, as for what part of NC I live in, it is a very small town called Rutherfordton....Grendel, you may know it as it's not too far from Boone. Actually, I was in Boone last week, I had to go to Cheap Joe's. Good art supply stores are few and far between in these parts! Too bad I didn't know of your exhibit, I could have stopped in for a peek. How long is it going to be up?

Ok, that's all for now. Good Luck to all who participate in CHOW!

C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have something brewing G, but you will have to just wait and see it....

The Day-glo Pterodactyls

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hrm, I didn't even know this thread existed. I just did a search trying to find my sketchbook and saw Wheezy was talking trash about me =P

I went ahead and subscribed even though I am not really an artist.

Ideas are easy. Making them real is hard.
    Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

sin-d: Welcome! I am familiar with Rutherfordton. I pass by there on my way to Atlanta to see the fam. I think Boone is pretty much the only place you can get art supplies until you get out of the mountains. It's kind of weird if you think about it. There are so many artists and craftsmen in the region but so few places to get supplies. I guess most people shop online.
    My exhibit will be open until Feb. 2. I will have a small closing reception that evening. Stop buy, if you're in town. Glad to have a new member, start up a sketchbook! Let's see what ya' got.

Wheezy: Sorry man, but I had to bail on the CHOW. My freelance work kind of bottle-necked this week. I haven't checked the thread yet, but there was some interesting entries earlier in the week. I'll definitely want to participate again, though.

Chirp Chirp: Welcome! You don't have to be an artist to participate. Although, after browsing your sketchbook, I'm curious to know your definition of "artist." Your work looks like you have an eye for design and aesthetics to me. You should consider participating in one of the weeklies. I'll bet you'd get some great feedback from the EOW.

Last edited by Grendel Grack; January 21st, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yay everyone is still alive.

I would eventualy like to do some CHOWs or something. Right now the place where I work is having a design contest so im kinda focusing on that atm. Ill be free after Feb 15. Glad to hear NC is still kicking.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Buckweisel. Alive and well. Good luck on the contest. Competition is one of the best ways to keep your artistic skills sharp. That's what is so great about the weeklies. We'll keep an eye out for you around Feb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grendel: Well I am more of a designer type than artist. I went to NCSU college of design and I am a game designer by trade. Additionally, since I work with and communicate with artists all the time I am constantly reminded of the fact that I am not an artist. =)

What are the weeklies and EOW?

Ideas are easy. Making them real is hard.
    Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1