Sketchbook: Jacks Journal! - Asaba Maryland~ - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacks Journal! - Asaba Maryland~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soli You should update your sketchbook more man, Its nice to have a busy sketchgroup cuz then even when i aint updating shit i can check out your guys improvement.

Youre like the second/third person to say my faces look the same, i aint quiet sure how to fix it yet as its just the way stuff comes out. I have been copying/reffing other peoples style though in an attempt to adopt some of their quirks and things.

Ill keep on chugging away.

So, heres a page of gestureh whatnots, seeing how i aint naturally blessed with the talent to do gestures ill keep trying to practice it, it was as much a warm up as an exercise to see how much i could get get down in a few "outline?" ... lines? am i right in looking for outline/spine (bodycurve) lines first? I noted down a few things from the book i was reffing em from anyway.

Second is some doodling/head stuff, a couple of these are copied, 2 of the girls, ones a bengle thingeh and another one a UT lady i fink. And something that ended up like Batou, gotta keep on practicing and i HAVE to try new things.

Oh, and a random speedy thats a little too fucking garish, i didnt have a clue as to how neons work/effect things so i just twatted around and now hes purple. Ill go study some shit on lighting soon~

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

http://jackwhat.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your updates are looking good. I'm glad to see that you've pushed your portrait peices just a little bit further. The difference is noticable, and I think you'll probably learn just that much more from each one.

As for gestures I would discourage doing them from a picture. The whole point of a gesture is that your trying to capture the movement and wieght of the model. It's really something that you have to see first hand or else the effect is lost I think. If you can try and go to a life drawing session if you can find a place nearby. When the model short poses you'll only have a few seconds to get down your gestures and thats the whole point. It forces you to really focus on a few critical things.

Anyways, good work, I'm enjoying the progress and cant wait to see more.

Sketchbook Support Group #26

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BrallThat really made perfect sense, ill keep that in mind. You even used some of the words that the book used in the process!

There are a couple of life drawing sessions near by which ill stop off at some point, theyre £8 a time and im skint at the moment. So first im going to find a job

Thisll be my last update till i have something substantial to show. I plan on going for a trek next week for like a full day and ill draw .. stuff, ill try and get that whole drawing from life shit going. Still dont know how to approach drawing things when it comes to landscapes though, ill read up on it.

Ill also start doing full body anatomy studies instead of focusing on the odd bits and bobs which seems to be getting me nowhere fast in really understanding how things work... well it is and isnt.

Following on from there, i saw a few uptodate pictures from sinix and it made me realise how im yet to be able to create a picture that says something, its merely stand alone things which is boring... so thats where im a headed next.

For now, we have a head and a doodle, which was more of a warmup.

While doing that head i was really wondering about some things, like, is drawing from those really as good as it could be? cuz the quality of the jpgs/images isnt always that good, colors/noise/values arent what they really are, at least i dont think so, i get the range across the forms and things though.

Ma ee.. nm, any direction on other things that are worth studying or anything at all is all good!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have noticed a slight change in your faces, if even the slightest, its a start. bravo. like your sculpture renditions, those look pretty solid and should help you improve on drawing faces overall...

"KEEEE-YYYAAAAAAHHHHHH B!TCH!!!!" - Ed Wuncler III, The Boondocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I know Jack

Think you got it going on here <> guess now I know JacK

I always return the favor <> thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this1 Those sculpture studies are definately helping me to understand the form of the face, where shadows are cast and what not. Not sure about the other things its teaching me though! Thanks for constantly dropping by, i feel slightly bad for not really returning the favor.

mentler hi2u, all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

So, an update of sorts, featuring: Underworked Speedpaintngs, And a tad on the generic side designs.

Speedpaintings first, No.1, Was going for a more thug look, was initially going to have it as soldiers lined up but i didnt like the idea when it was a siloette so it got canned, I wanted to get this more of an HPX feel but i didnt want to look at his stuff while doing it, could do with more time being spent on it fo sho.

No.2 Is halfassed for a reason, that being, i want direction... I want it to give off the impression that hes a topdog/evilbaron sorta guy, looking out the window with a sort of "ownership" feel, ive got 2 quick layouts but i aint sure how to beef em up and make them more interesting. Personally i think i might tighten up the angle on the second one a bit more, i also aint sure about the perspective to give the buildings, i think a looking down would be more appropriate.... but yeah you get the picture. Comments / places to read appreciated.

Designs~ Some quick mech/bot thumbs, werent actually done that size, if i have a big canvas i find myself filling it, i used to be the opposite and i couldnt draw big, now i cant draw small... my scale fucks up.

Second is sketchbook stuff, someone said to have a go at redesigning the TFC Soldier so i had a quick bash, rather generic and boring but it isnt an unreal/quake mod so i wasnt going to go totally over the top, seeing as tfc still revolves around reality and i cant be going giving him huge spaceboots n that shebang.

A quick anatomy study also, notes and writing from rebeccak.

So... theres some fullish bodies and something a bit more interesting... maybe? I'll polish up some stuff for another update whenever, i still havent done any fucking lifedrawing, im such a bloody hermit.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a nice sketchbook you've got here! I dig the clean drawing style! Maybe you should try to draw different body-types, play a bit with the anatomy, right now you seem to draw the same male and the same female body all of the time!

Your digitals are gettin better with each piece you paint, but right now you seem to draw either very crisp or very smooth/soft paintings, try to mix crisp and soft brushes in one painting rather then seperating both styles from each other!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging the sketchbook. I love seeing this your progression as you develop and build your skills. I do have an observation, it seems that you have a good handle on structure and depth as far as the figures or scuplture that are drawn from life. When you go to character driven drawings, you seem to get stiff and lose your sense of structure. I would recommend you use some reference or even a live model to give yourself a guide as to how to create good depth. I think if you give yourself something to look at, you'll get more like and flexibility to your characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quickie so i can reply to comments without just bumping pointlessly.

Gloom My anatomy vocab is evidently limited and frustratingly so :< Also, i didnt really notice that brush/stroke whatnot till you pointed it out. Aint quiet sure what you mean though... is it that sometimes i have smooth transitions and othertimes hard or something else? Should i be using hardedge brushes in places AND soft in others to get what youre talking about?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../1107face3.jpg

^mainly soft?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...207quickie.jpg

^mainly hard?

chainsaw I know what you mean, i get a mental block when im drawing from my head and i end up with very sterile samey poses and pictures which gets on my tits. I dont always want to draw from reference, i dont want any crux at the end of the day... I want to get my paper and pen and do whatever my mind wants. I cant at the moment though, i guess building up a library from reference aint quiet so bad... really need to get me into a lifedrawing class otherwise they still wont be quiet what they should be.

I find drawing from reference quiet comforting/reassuring, probably because i dont have to think about it when its laid infront of me, its still often a challenge to get my anatomy right. Also when i draw from ref it often ends up as a copy and i dont really expand on it... but thats probably because im working in reverse, meaning i dont have an idea but i have a picture... now if i had the idea and looked for the picture i would probably get results.

Thanks for those eyeopener posts, now ill try and sort my shit out and do something about it!

... Oh and the art:

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still doing a few more concepteh sort of ideas for a Fortress based game... they arent actually being used i just wanted to do them to practice and play around with ideas/armor/equipment and how it would be used.

^ Reffed pose, hes a bit short and stumpy... maybe a bit stiff still? even though i reffed :<

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now with added color! ~

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanksfor your crits on my stuff....yea i def need to clean up my linework....problem ive always had i just need to slow it down a bit..

Nice updates jack, try putting some highlights and darks, to really make your paintings pop...

keep em coming..

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jackwhat,
    dude, you do not need my advise ^_^!
    your're doing great!
    Seriously your studies have so much determination in tyhem that I can only tell you to keep on going. your're getting there...FAST!
    If I could only suggest you one thing...is to try to think about context when you put characters in a environment...that's one of (the many) things I'm having trouble with anyway...
    cheers!

-----------------------------------------------
    JEIK'S PORTFOLIO
    http://jeik.levinux.org/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Act I get ya, Lately (since doing the black and white cast studies) Ive tried to keep to 4~ Values (with blending) I definately want my things to pop and i love images with highcontrast so yea... ill be adding that extra 5th value to pop highlights... or at least trying to. Thanks!

Jeik Shit, didnt expect you in my sketchbook And thanks for the advice. At the moment im sorta struggling to breath life into my characters and im going to start drawing environments more, as, placing characters in limbo doesnt do anything to bolster their... character?

Im going to spend my Uni money wisely next term... in the fucking comic shop! I'll have a look for that stuff you listed and i also want to grab a book on err... "Reinventing Comics" or the book prior to that (cant remeber the author and cant be arsed to go check)

Oh and just wondering, what manga is that on your shelf (in your thread)?
    Thanks for the comments

Heres more Fortress related stuff, this time its the Engineer who I want to resemble a madscientist... at least a little. The face is partially a ref of a picture by briteshine (RobG) for the colors at least, hes very good with contrast and making shit pop. Im trying to pose him to make him a little more interesting too although its still rather still... reffed myself in the mirror every now and then and tried to give it some Prom SWOOOOOOOSH.

Last edited by Jackwhat; July 23rd, 2006 at 09:24 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pushed my engineer a bit further, however hes still really rough. Im probably going to refine him and add details and extra elements to him in my sketchbook.

Tools in his pouch thing / Sort out his trouser bracers / Add armor to his arm/leg joints / give him cool boots / sort out his jacket (googled "madscientist" and opted for something like that, a fold over button front ting) / Might keep with the TFC Feel and leave him with a cigar too.

Oh and some handstudies to boot, reffed my own hand as a sorta warm up... I think its time for me to try a finished piece again (haha again?).

Detail version of the engi is a link.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9..._wallpaper.jpg

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I'm gone for a little bit and come back to see you kicking my ass with all the stuff you've been putting out. I'm liking your concepts, I think they have a lot of potential and you'll definatly have to practice such stuff if you want to go onto a concepting career.

Keep up the output, I'm going to have to kick it into high gear to catch up!

Sketchbook Support Group #26

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good. It seems that you naturally have a very strong sense of value. Keep modelling your forms to satisfy this shadow play. Pay special attention to portraits. Great, keep on.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brall Yah, just gotta keep practicing my shit... I save every picture i like or everyone i find useful machines/people or otherwise to hopefully expand my resoviour of things i can draw from, i feel sorta cheap though, wish i was talented and had it all already in my head.

Listing To be a natural would be nice, i was looking over stuff i was doing around 2004 and i had no grasp of color at all, i would use a practically diagonaline from white to black and pass through the saturations on route from one to the other. It makes me cringe looking at some of the stuff i was drawing :/ Thanks though, im glad that im finally getting the hang of value and sloooowly getting to grips with form to boot.

Heres an update im quiet proud of, the majority of sketches are referenced from other peoples styles, bar the last page.

Theres some of jeik () and other people whos images ive saved but whos names i dont remeber but if i did id be sure to say who they were!

(so page 1 and 2 mainly reffed, the hands on page 2 are like... outlines of ones ive saved, i wanted to not take my pencil of the paper while doing it, ended up quiet nice... inks were 2nd pass, my line isnt that clean )

I suck baws when im copying sometimes, because i try to copy straight up and forget preplaning and construction lines so my features get thrown all over the show. But i feel like ive had a bit of an epiphany as I felt considerably more confident when i was drawing the stuff on the 3rd page... it all seemed to work and i think ill slowly be easing my style in a new and hopefully better direction, i dunno how or why but something clicked and it felt sorta random but im pretty sure something has twigged!

(Oh and thats my living room on the 3rd page, when drawing from life... your horizonline is like straight infront? i cant work out vanishing points that easily either, i dont really want to copy from life i want to exaggerate it slightly, i want to draw what i see not frame a small portion of it. I wanted to draw a wideangle to get everything in but it didnt work out = hence mess.)

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beaten some more shit out of my system.

A posed girleh and some design noodles. Ive really got to start getting more design sense about me because as is its not flowing quiet as easy as it should, im thinking way too hard, it needs to splurt out on the page!

3rd Picture was done with Omi-kun but our oC crashed so i screen dumped it and carried on twatting around with it.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your line work is very beautiful and your clean ink pics look great! Great studies and concepts as well. I like the way you fill the pages, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the 1st and 3rd paints....very nice! no crits from me as of now...just keep it up!

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jack, returning the favor..Youre on the right track with the 50 heads idea..Theyre looking great, very close to ref. And youll learn an assload off those types of studies. Im liking your more sketchy digital work as well, some great ideas, and work with brushes and giving a textural feel. Good linework as well. Theres a bunch of improvement throught the course of this SB>

Keep it up man.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Truely awesome stuff here! Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, really cool job there Jackwhat!
    I like your studies alot, inspires me to do some too.
    Allso very cool digitals, I could learn some one or two from them.

keep it up!
    tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too much flattery for someone who has spent almost a month doing jackshit in the way of drawing, in my defence ive been thinking/getting together things in order to make another gaming avi, showcasing frags/tricks. So i was learning how to use Adobe after FX for that, seeing as its capable of so much more than my old Vegas 4.

So anyway, 1month down the line with nothing to show for it besides a few sketchbook pages, and, that im now a little bit more proficient in AFX... time NOT well spent.

Thanks for those last batch of comments!

Sirio Those studies are good fun to do and now that ive finally revisted this thread i think i will do more.

So, where and what do i do now?

I've got a shit load of work to do before the 11th of september so ive now started cracking on with that, so some of what i dump in the upcoming week will be that, probably quick seacreature concepts.

Following on from that i need to continue working on my game which i now have pretty clear in my head, the one key thing that is missing is how do i develop the character. Seeing as i want the character to be interesting and fucking cool... (think Spike from bebop) I want to somehow get people to like him. I had a thought of having sections in the gameplay itself but I dont know how much "interuptions" and breaks in ...gameplay... would be a good thing, also, comic-esque maxpayne style things _could_ work but thats just copying... ill see what i can think of. I guess cut-scenes around key points would work... saaaaa.

And now, the crappy dump consisting of? Fuck all tbh. I have a couple of other things in my sketchbook but i cant be bothered getting my scanner out and i would rather contribute something more substantial!~

Oh and ill add a picture i was working on for the "repimp the pimps" weekly over on eatpoo... think of it as filler.

Quick seacreature design: Any crits welcome on how to make this better... cuz Im in a dilemma ... sort of, im all confused on how / what technique and process to use, i guess thats a big negative from looking at a lot of artwork, i get confused in myself on how to work.... BAD

Half-finished "pimp" of: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...rdcreature.jpg

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok... well, so much for my substantial update, heres a couple of doodles from today.

It seems my drawing/enthusiasm works in a similar way to buses, i have none for ages and a shit load come at once. Not that im complaining, hopefully this surge continues, and, considering the amount of work i need to do... IT needs to continue.

So, heres a rehash of my Character for my game, im unsure on details so far.

He will have BIG cuffs for that shirt though! in a stylistic way though. I still want some more details, Im a big fan of Ouroboros, or at least the symbol, so i think ill incorporate that onto his back somehow. saaaa.

Any anatomy pointers/tips/suggestions for that really appreciated, i need em!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my scanner out to scan... my sketchbook, mainly because i felt like coloring one of the pictures in it, which will turn up here sooner or later.

The first page is after my time away from drawing and its pretty obvious, seeing as most of it is rather... arse.

Im happier with some of meh doodles on the 2nd page mind you, a quick selfportrait bottom left and i reffed my dad at the top, who, i might add doesnt look that fat at all, seeing as hes 10.5stone which is about 60kg.

Much to learn.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meh, quickie and shitty.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, its nice to be drawing again.

Here are 2 quick "color studies", I want to get a bit more variety in my pallette, so, although its bad, i was reffing some nice photographs.

Result? Im quiet pleased, could spend longer on both but the point of the exercise is the color i guess.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Motherfucker, here i was typing this and i accidently hit a favorite and deleted all my text.

1st picture is something i could really do with some help/pointers/advice on. Basically whenever i try to color lineart i get confused with what im doing. I guess i really need to revist the basics or see some steps/process images on how people work. What im trying to do at the moment, with color in general that is. I want to incorperate more hues and particularly learn more about warms/cools.

As in the photo of the women above, shes got nice grey/blue/purple hues in her shadows and yellows/reds/oranges (although still quiet unsaturated) in the light, I think im being quiet presumptious in trying to do this in an area im quiet uneducated in. Ive merely looked over color theory and not truelly read into it. Still, ill get around to studying life more also.

Lineart by the awesome Decker, http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...t=67695&page=3

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...hat/helpme.jpg

2nd quick doodle is something i was thinking about prior to sleep. I seem to have surges of ideas when im trying to sleep, i can only think its because im so fucking empty headed. Its not like ive got much else to think about. One should be keeping a sketchbook next to his bed me thinks, as this isnt quiet what i had imagined, so i can see me redoing this at somepoint.

EDIT:

Playing around in artrage, i see people say things like "Brush economy", and unless it means just that im not quiet sure on it. Im constantly redoing things, so, this was trying to keep things simpler. Simple to the extent you probably done know what it was but i sorta find it hard to do 1 - 2 strokes for an arm and things, a spot for the highlight.

Tips appreciated.

Last edited by Jackwhat; November 4th, 2006 at 12:36 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1