Sketchbook: Jacks Journal! - Asaba Maryland~ - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Jacks Journal! - Asaba Maryland~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nim Yes boss! I definately need to get more juicy.

kristo Cheers dude!

Fuck me a post here is long overdue! - I've been trying to sort out my portfolio and tidy/add shit to it because being unemployed is getting old fast. Sure i love going to bed at 6am but I wants more hrrrrrrrr.

I havent been painting as much as I should have been but theres various excuses and none worth writing up! So yes, ill throw up some super old stuff first which is things ive coloured in and only just got around to asking the dude if it was ok. Im bad at getting stuck in without asking.

Also theres a few other things im doodling around with at the moment, firstly a tree god thing for my portfolio - I thought id do something appropriate so its becoming a turn around!

As usual crits and comments more than welcome as its all open to change.

Lineart by Denis Medri (rawks) http://denismedri.cghub.com/

Lineart by Alvin Lee

Lineart by Kandoken - for a competition thingeh, didnt win however.

Studies n whatnot;

And Portfolio/Ongoing Shit;
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...King11edit.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...WarGeneral.jpg

Last edited by Jackwhat; March 18th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

http://jackwhat.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minor update is minor!

Finally got a portfolio together! Although it lacks some good environment and prop / vehicle concepts, but that all starts now. As ive got something reasonable put together I can start sending things out with a little bit more confidence while i try to fill in the blanks in my portfolio.

Really motivated to paint things at the moment which is great - Dominance War just around the corner its time to get pumped the fuck up and do something good.

Last edited by Jackwhat; March 18th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Righty then, so the Dominance War is on!

I've been knocking out some thumbnails for that and trying to get a prop concept wrapped up for the HL2 mod ive (not) been working on. In the past i've not really been much of a thumbnail person... I dont really like generating ideas from quick scribbles - I find myself more comfortable to at least think about a concept prior to throwing some shit down.

That being said I finally jumped onboard the alchemy bandwagon and found taking a bit of time to generate some simple shapes (based on loose ideas) is quite a relaxing way to go about it. I found with the Forest King concept in my previous post I ended up having to make quite big changes along the way to make up for a dull silouette, so getting something that works small and then getting into pissing about with detail is a fair bit more effective heh.

Oh and i'm sure ive said it more than once, but Kare Kano is such a fucking awesome manga! Time for a reread.

So I update with colourstudies - The more i end up thinking about colour and light the more confused i get, i think im pretty simple - A finished War General (minor update over the previous entry), and some thumbnails for some Dominance War characters. I wont go into the thumbnails here as ive already done that over on my polycount thread - Go Polycount.

Last edited by Jackwhat; May 31st, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, those studies are cool, especially the colour ones. The Dominance war thumbs and finished entries are looking good as well, the general has a small nose, but it's passable, hehe.
    Good luck with all of it, and keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pie Cheers dude! Agreed on the nose, I think ill go back and fix it up at some point because its annoying the shit out of me.

Been burning too much time watching anime! although its all kinds of awesome... and im totally going to end up playing some visual novels / dating sims at this rate. I think i may have consumed all the good romance stuff i can get my hands on. Guess ill jump across to manga till the spring season really kicks off!

Heres a few more Dom War Doodles... I need to get a move on with this as ive got other portfolio shit to get done in 2 weeks too... but anime is so tempting~

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, sorted some shit that needed sorting out! And now I should be pushing forwards with what I want to do. I've switched my tablet out with my mousemat in the hope of kick starting some serious studies, and having done two in a day for the first time in a long time... lets hope I can keep this up, if not do more.

A small dump with some 50min~ studies till I get my Dominance War freak on.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies! Wanted to do some lineart things... and ill probably do quite a few more of these till i get some more confidence. I've been getting too happy with slapping down forms/planes and neglecting to work with line. Definately need to get back to anatomy too, i hate being constricted by a lack of knowledge/confidence.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Youve got some really really nice things going on in here. I really like your sence of lighting, everything has such good volume. My only complain is that most of the eye candy seems unfinished. either way it looks great keep on truckin! ... or drawing maybe? yea. drawing.

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newman Cheers dude! My inability to finish things dates back to the start of this sketchbook... so many times i've said i'll turn that around and just LOOK AT ME NOW, harrrrrrrrr. But seriously, definately gotta finish some portfolio shit.

More studies from me! Gunna start doin some daily things on Posemaniacs to losen the fuck up. I've not got a good set approach to constructing a figure when doing those yet... I normally just keep my lines lose and half blind contour / make shapes till ive got something to adjust.

If anyone has any suggestions on that it'd be sweet to hear em!

Annnnd quick colour studies!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looked like fun so i jumped on the Still life train... Although it kinda defeats the purpose if you do it from a photo? haha. I'll move some shit out of the way on my desk so I can do some from life as theyre surprisingly fun. So many colours in metal! Long live Filter > Noise.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last two came out great man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mihail Cheers dude.

Right, I has been busy colouring in comics since I last posted... which is great! It's strange, because it doesn't really feel like work, and the fact that I get paid to do it is like an "oh, awesome" feeling. Im a bit slow at the moment though, so its taking me way too long to do a panel but at least im painting. Its strange and probably sad how many simple things ive picked up.

Watching some cool shit at the moment, Rookies being a bit of a cheesy jdrama but enjoyable none the less! That and Bounen no Xam'd, which has a lot of cool designs and animation.

Studies and doodles at the moment. Shit doodles though D: I need to tidy them up.

Last edited by Jackwhat; May 6th, 2009 at 01:50 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coupla of updates! One finally being an environment ive been doing for a potential background artist position, alas that fell through but Its been an awesome change to do. I guess its my first proper environment from my head too, rare!~

Last edited by Jackwhat; May 31st, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love that treeman. You also make cool thumbnails. And excellent color studies, what's not to like?
    Keep this up and I'll be sure to return.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers dude! I shall most definately keep it up.

Righty, finished up my ArtPG character! She took a bit too long but i'm happy with the outcome. Her names Robin and shes off exploring the ForeverSpring Forest with her awesome staff...

And a couple of studys too, I'm going to take my time and do another sargent painting but take special care with it and try get it all right. They definately seem harder and require more focus for me than say... photo studies, so it seems like thats an area I should explore next.

Last edited by Jackwhat; May 10th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool stuff going on here! I love the saturated palettest you use in some of these, yummyjuicy colors

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

kojot is offline Please!! simple english ^^ Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloom Cheers dude! I'll try and get it cooler, but its proving harder than anticipated.

kojot thankies

Trying to flex my concept/imagination muscle at the moment... and ill probably keep it that way till ive knocked out some more ideas for my ArtPG story/world. Id become a bit reliant on studies and what not, thinking id improve just by doing those but I think i really need to try applying whatever knowledge i have and try and expand myself there, seems a lot harder than copying pictures thats for sure.

Less faggotry, more pictures.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yummmmmmmmm, art!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies ..they are looking good...heheh I need to go do some now D:

haha dude I love one piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Is it?! Nice to have you up in here dude.

Tex yo dude! are you the same devin thats over on apedogs? :E

Minor update of sorts... trying to keep my longlegged insect man interesting. I've been looking a lot of design/originality sorta stuff lately, making my way through The Skillful Huntsmen and various other artbooks in an attempt to understand what makes things interesting and how to tackle function etc. I get very hung up thinking logically and its bad and having watched the dvd on Originality in Design i can understand the need to loosen up (and being nagged at from dudes at apedogs). I still cant get over the need to have a thought out design, especially if its tailored for a specific area/region or purpose because there generally is reason as to why creatures look like "x" or "y". Iono! T_T

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need to flex my imagination muscle more at the moment, seeing as its still my weakest area. These environments are very much Tom inspired ( tom), thought id just take his approach and run with it and see what I could see. Not hugely pleased with the results and they don't make much sense... i'll start giving them some more meaning or storytelling at some point. First one is actually most recent, i wanted to do a study to see if i could learn anything from that.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OoOooOH nice colors
    What's this Originality in Design? Is it goooood?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reckon I tend to think the same way too when designing stuff .

I reckon even if you only made 2 out of 10 people accept that your stuff is original and interesting, then you've been successful in your design. So all you really need to do half of the time is just to have fun and go crazy, and only start thinking logically when you need to fill the gaps.

For example: I wanna design a strange character to act as a revolutionary leader of an underground prisoner hideout in a jail - I know! I'll have a gay transvestite! With an army of gay transvestites wearing animal masks!!

But there's so many ways to depict a gay transvestite, where do I start? I'll just base the design on Tim Curry, who portrayed an iconic transvestite.

And so on

Btw that girl's face in post #404 stands out as particularly well done out of the images in this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom Originality in design is a dvd by Nick Pugh and its pretty interesting viewing... he makes about 200 really loose sketches and takes a few 2 rendered pencil drawings whilst talking about letting go and removing cliche n stuff. I guess its a branch off of what you do digitally, which is great fucking fun to play with.

Jeri fuck me dude, long time! Okama's for life yo! Yeah, youre probably right on those counts

Some doodling for my ArtPG / environment practice... using le tom scholes approach again. Need to strengthen the focal point a bit and clear up some of the details all round.

2nd is a study from an amazing russian painter that Jaime recommended over on sijun, it really blew me away and man ive got a long way to go.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing some longer master studies! Its rare that i've sat down this long and worked on one painting but its really interesting. I dont think I did the Levitan environment much justice but I definately learnt a fair bit about colour from doing these! Man, I need to get off this page soon so I dont continually rape bandwidth.

Will try do a couple of these a week, amidst other stuff... I really need to do more things for the artorder as its great to build a portfolio with!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy sh*t dude, You've been busy! So awesome to see you doing more enviros, really enjoying the saturated colours too.

That head study is kick ass, is that from a Bouguereau painting? IKAIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

ShootTheWorks
    lens flare renaissance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Koto Jah, its from a bouguereau painting! I'm tryin to keep busy but I still end up watching a fuckton of anime der herrrrrr.

I've been busyish here there and everywhere, out getting a suntan of sorts the past few days yay, that made for a very pleasent change - albeit being the last taste of student last I may have for a long time. Oh how bittersweet.

Few shitty quick doodles to unwind and get my head together a bit while i recover from binge drinking. The Flashbulb helped me along with magic tunes though, s'all good.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duuuuude! those colour studies are georgeously butt kicking!

thanks!

aviable for fulltime and freelance

http://alexpascenko.blogspot.de/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solis studies bro! also some cool concepts ..keep it up!

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1