Sketchbook: Jacks Journal! - Asaba Maryland~ - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Jacks Journal! - Asaba Maryland~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not been upto much groundbreaking lately, occasional little doodle while i lounge around in somebody elses room... but aside from that just lots of anime/film watching with a little bit of WoW to boot.

Watched Cache and some lesser known Ghibli films as well as anime like Baccano, Kaiji and Texhnolyze. Main reason for not really drawing much (aside from laziness) is thinkin about how i can link these films and things that have inspired me recently into my Uni work, since we are required to do that for a presentation. Fucking retarded if you ask me.

Anyway, I bring to you sketches and a quick study! Sketches range from months old to ... weeks, seeing as im without a scanner in my home away from home I can finally scan it since im home for xmas! :3

(references are obvious but include Akira and a street magazine)

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

http://jackwhat.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been drawing a fair bit lately, probably because ive been hugely inspired by the vast amount of artbooks and anime ive been watching. For once my mass amount of browsing is paying off!

Nothin really constructive in these pages... afterall theyre mostly copys... not in a completely negative sense. I still dont feel like i have a nice style of my own, hence why i just look around and find what i like. Not that i plan on immitating any one style, more like making a mishmash, like a bastard child all of my own.

Hrrrr.

Ref's are listed next to the drawings but that wont be readable, but theyre from err... tokyo majin gakuen kenpuchou / sayonara zetsubou sensei / Mahoromatic / Oruchuban Ebichu / Bens Graffix / BonsaiMechaGirl - All of which are well worth checking out, both the anime and artbooks - There is some of my own doodles in there too, which came out ok \o/

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, neat stuff in here. I like the paintings, though sometimes a bit too blury for my taste. Interesting to see a change of styles in these. Nice job on coloring Manarama's lines, but I think it would be even better if you would do your own. Would give you more in my opinion. Now it's like jumping into painting without first spending time on drawing.
    Just a suggestion though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    razz Heh, i colour other peoples things partly out of laziness and i guess not having the confidence to do the pictures myself. I use them mainly to focus on the colour side of things though, I guess i still learn a bit about forum and shit like that but yeah... youre right, i would benefit more from doing a full picture myself. Cheers for droppin by!

I've been stupidly addicted to stepmania lately, i cant actually keep my fingers still because of it. While ive not been drawing ive been reading instead seeing as ive got my dissertation to sort out soon... Reading into films and the like is interesting but quite intense at times, so there i am at 3am-5am reading away \o/. My body clock has gone into reverse, i dont think ive spent many of the last 2 weeks awake when its been light outside. Yay for a lazy new year.

No new years resolutions really, besides to become better at everything. I set my aspirations high, i just lack the motivation :E

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit, this has been inactive for quite a while... like me really. I've got a few pages in my sketchbook to scan in and eventually colour. Theyve been refreshing to do as its just doodling from my own head and making it up as i go along.

I've got my horrible presentation out of the way and now ive got to get through my dissertation. Once thats over im left to my own devices to come up with a portfolio, which i think is quite daunting in a way. Im not really clear in my head where i want to go, im interested in comics and games at the same time but i dont really know how I would go about showing that in a portfolio.

Got a hold of some nice photography recently which im usin to help me out with how colour works... ugh the mind boggles. This update is mainly colouring in stuff. First picture is a study, second is a picture my housemate did and the third is by a cool dude over on deviantart, Zatransis.

Last edited by Jackwhat; March 9th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sum fantastic work here!! i particularly like the female studies! great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rupe Cheers man!

Lucky I've really got to do more hawt female studies, alas... ive just been doin male studies lately.

Got my dissertation done and dusted, although it was rather rushed to say the least. Note to any fellow procrastinators; dont leave a 7000+ word essay till a week before the hand in. I realised when i started reading heavily that to write something of any value it would take me a darn site more effort than what i was going to be able to put in. Although i could use only a few sources i found that i didnt really want to make sweeping unintelligible comments either, so that would end up requiring further reading. Not that i minded the subject, it was just such a mindfuck to write it in the space of 2days (after reading).

Thats now out of the way and its time to crack on with a portfolio of sorts although I still dont have enough confidence to start drawing my comic... so im basically going back to studying a bit. Hence these pages from mah sketchbook, although some of them are randomish and doodles, im still trying to find a comfort zone of sorts where i can piss around with a nice style that im happy drawing.

Which sorta brings me to Dogs - Bullets and Carnage... a seriously super fucking cool manga thats well worth looking for. The art style is totally up my street and I just love the characters, they just ooze cool.

Anywah; sketchbook shit and a picture of Ken

Lineart by http://ngboy.deviantart.com/

P.s. go look for the manga dogs, good shit!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im Inspired

Looking through your sketchbook i have to say you have improved greatly
    Keep it up

"BEGIN WHERE YOU ARE; WORK WHERE YOU ARE. THE HOUR WHICH YOU ARE NOW WASTING, DREAMING OF SOME FAR OFF SUCCESS, MAY BE CROWDED WITH GRAND POSSIBILITIES"
    -ORISON SWETT MARDEN

SKETCHBK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Space Cheers dude! Youd kind of hope to of improved over the space of ... 3 years, im 21 and it still feels like im lagging behind a bit though! T_T

Well shit, its been well over a month since i last updated and quite a bit has changed! I finally found an interesting game mod to work on which is great fun, its really enjoyable to work on a concept... get feed back and then at the end of it all see it running in a game... then proceeding to shoot it to shit. Yup, im finally drawing with something in mind as opposed to just drawing for myself, im hoping it will expand me in ways... hell im game for everything and ive tried pissing about with texturing / environments which are a bit out of my league. Still, im enjoying it... even playtesting is fun. The mod is called HL Short Stories for those who are interested, and as the name entails its about things within the HL2 universe - so think Opposing force on a far lesser scale. I think that the name itself could open up to even bigger things though, even just as something people made short 5-10minute maps for to showcase a cool setpiece or somesuch!

Aside from modwork ive got to keep my Uni portfolio in mind, which means making shit look good for print. As it is tedious academia i need to do things that are specific to my "learning agreement"... which ill have to get to pronto as ive only really got ~6 weeks left and i dont really want to have mediocre stuff to have people know me by. Heh, thats part of the reason why most of my things lately have been anatomy studies (again) as im still far from confident in that area... let alone environments. Oh shit.

So, updating with? Colour shit, doodles and anatomy studies... I coloured the supercool lineart by Goblinshark (which i still need to tidy up and finish) and... er thats about it!

Apologies for the shitty scanning and as always - Any comments / Crits more than welcome! Im kinda in need of a kick up the ass :3

Last edited by Jackwhat; May 4th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

markey2d is offline markey2d is back on CA Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies man, but try and doo some of your own line work so you can put all this good anatomy studies into practice.

l8r

'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    markey Cheers man, Im still a tad uncertain when it comes to drawing from my head... hence what i do is still mostly studies D:, however im going to be doing 3-4 of my characters from my personal project so ill finally be doin some lineart again.

Been having a problem with values lately, which is fairly evident in the "Fixer" image - which i think i could of done better on, but i think i was in a bit of a slump... as id just been sticking to drawing in my comfort zone per se so I did some studies to mix shit up.

Aside from that, nothing much happenin D: Back to drawin!

- Edit; Photobucket removed my boobies so ive had to ruin my perfectly good layout with the attachment. Still, more boobies = better.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jackwhat; May 5th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha good stuff man.. i can also see you have improved shit loads ! nice quality rendering and lovin those titis keeeep up the hard work wannaaaa seeee 3333dddd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Razorb heh, cheers! :3 I'm gunna have to put 3d on hold till the course is over, i could probably pick it up a bit but ugh, gotta get this silly portfolio done! Summer hols = modelin tiem!

More studies/doodles! Lookin back its been quite a while since i doodled... ive not really drawn from my head for quite a while, well i have but not for my own sake/for the fun of it. So, when a weird face thingeh appearing in the random mess of another painting i just thought fuck this ill draw that! :3

Comments/Crits/Opinions always appreciated

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More updates! Im really content drawin at the moment... maybe its the nice weather and the fact im situated right next to a door i can have wide open. Yeah sure, i should probably be out enjoying the weather but ah well! Some person over on DA is doing a drawing a day for 30 days... event thing of sorts which should push me into drawing moreeeee.

Studies and doodles are todays specials, couple of much needed environment study thingehs to serve as some sort of prep for when i start doin more environment conceptart... man i struggle with that D:

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well thats it, my education is finally over and after all the celebrating and much drinking I now need to start thinkin serious about what I wanna do for moneys! All in all I think im out of education about a year early, id like to spend another year improving a little bit here and there so im all around more confident when it comes to applying.

I really think it would be a bit of a dream job to land... I mean, im browsing around for simple jobs at the moment and i see them as nothing more than a stepping stone (and hopefully not a deadend).

Lately i've been pissing about with graduating and artwise just colouring shit in... When i sit down after a "break" i kinda just want something nice n relaxing to have an unwind! So, this update mostly consists of other peoples lineart that i've coloured in! Thanks to them for lettin me have at it!

- link to the artist under the picceh!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smallish update this time but nothing grand unfortunately. The first is still a mega wip, having a bit of a hard time with getting the right colours + variety and bounced light. Second is just a doodle, as its been a while since i sat down and doodled something for my own sake. Was fun to do, I might render it out a bit more and add more details and shit, its not often i take drawings super far though, my bad!

Any Crits/Advice on my colours would be awesome though, in a bit of a PINCHI!
    (yeah, ive been reading Hajime no Ippo - which has some of the best character development ever! such a fucking good manga.)

Last edited by Jackwhat; August 8th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rah, I so need to buy myself a Jackhammer sub to rock out with, fuck. But anyway... Coupla new picks, which are both probably taking way too long but oh well. First one is a WIP shot of the collab between me and the awesome http://archvermin.deviantart.com I'm tryin to nail the colours at the moment and work in a nice sunset sorta thing in the background!

2nd is for a jam over on satellitesoda, fanart per se for http://reyyyyy.deviantart.com and his badass brainchild that is Dead in the Now! I dunno if ill apply some colours to this or not, id like to but if i did id end up editing/tweaking the lines!

Finally stopped being lazy and found my way back to the mod i was working on, some of the latest updates on the map are fucking sweet and ive gotta get crackin on some environment concepts. Hopefully they dont turn out like complete pap, ugh...

Any advice on the composition of either of these images would be great, especially the colour one, dunno if its good or bad!

Last edited by Jackwhat; August 8th, 2008 at 02:38 PM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Righty, what has i been upto now that im a dole scrounger? Ugh, well shit im 22 now and still haves much to learn! I feel like I could just keep on learning and studying for years... I've found that when im drawing a concept or something for the mod - thats outside of my comfort zone - im suddenly met with a shit load more things i need to research, its cool shit!

I'm thinkin ill try and get my shit together for september, get a portfolio together and try sending it off to places, its probably still too soon but i guess once ive had that confirmation ill be motivated to try harder.

So yeah, some minor updates on things and some studies too! (the usual then)

- Any crits would help out a ton, especially on composition and that sorta shit. With that SatansMother picture ive felt like ive learnt so much from it, it was weird. Still half finished though, hopefully i can get it looking hawt.

Last edited by Jackwhat; August 11th, 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 492 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    so inspairing studies! thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the fact you love perspective and muscles, spawning from STF <--- they are the ones that got me drawing in the first place. Good work, no crit just keep drawing i guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    verehin Cheers!

Cold "spawning from SFT" - not quite sure whatcha mean by that D:. I need to do more on perspective, that shit pisses me off - Cheers for stoppin by.

Man, im kinda in a weird state of mind at the moment, its slowly hitting me that the only way to get better is by drawing - bit fucking late yes - and that if im not good enough to work yet then ive just got to draw a fuck ton till i am. So yeah, gotta pickup the pace!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quickish doodles that i'd like to iron out and get to a portfolio standard! I've been doin studies and whatnot lately but whenever I personally put pen to paper i really fail at drawing gritty lifelike shit, its pissing me off that im failing so hard.

Draw draw draw i guess.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool studies dude, good application of technique and knowledge, 5 from me ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RandAl Heh, cheers bro... I really need to keep doin those studies! Dunno about the 5stars though, thats way above my level at the moment heh :3.

Hmm hmm hmm, been really into films lately as ive been suggested some really awesome japanese and korean ones! A Millionaires first love is such a bastard film... awesome but damnnnn, that and Crows Zero are my favorites at the moment, crows zero is your typical thug brawl fest but fucking cool to boot and well worth looking out for!

Apart from films ive had a bit of a break from drawing while i sort out my room and moving back home, but im getting back into the swing of things. I'd like to step my shit up and get a job at some point but its still a way off unfortunately... i realise that when im trying to draw environments because i seriously fucking suck at them. I'm really inspired by the awesome idiot apathy in that respect though... tryin to get my head around his workflow and whatnot but damn hes good.

So some doodles and a WIP conceptart piece for the mod im working on which i'd really love some crits on!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Righty, ive moved back home for the time being and super motivated to draw! I really do hate signing on but its good for the fact it gets me pumped up to do something about it! I'm still just knocking things around to try and strengthen my portfolio or rather... make something of it.

Been drawing a variety of things lately and still got plenty more to crack on with, seeing as ive got about 4-5 activitys/competitions and whatnot on as well as the work on the mod to do... busy busy!

If anyone has any crits/advice regarding my work i'd love to hear it, bit uncertain of myself lately and nervous at the thought im still under par to work with what ive got.

Last edited by Jackwhat; September 9th, 2008 at 11:22 AM.

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome update!!! those B&W's are delicious, now go finish all those work in progresses!! YOSH!!!!!!-
    -ROAD WORK-

ShootTheWorks
    lens flare renaissance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Koto Anta baka~ hahaha... T_T

Right, got around to scanning in a couple of pages from my sketchbook and also ended up looking at some of the stuff on my old pooter. by January 2009 i will of been drawing... seriously at least for 5 fucking years D: I probably should of improved more or spent more time on it because comparing my progress to mindcandymans is just sick!

- And shit, ive been on this page for about 9 fucking months now D: whoever dares come into this thread is going to have a rough time, i need some bumping to page 12 harhar...

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've finally manned up and decided to apply for a studio! It may be too early but I dont really have anything else going for me besides art so I might as well try. Rejection doesn't really bother me and if anything it'll be helpful - I dont really have any idea of my own ability unless gauged by something external.

Hopefully all goes well though and eitherway ill be motivated to do something better!

Some pictures that ive been finishing/tightening up for my "portfolio" Theyre both a tad short of being cleanly rendered and I still suck with environments... but at least now ive got my confidence up and am happy to do more!

Mugiwara Pirates!

Jack | Ant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great book you have going on man...love the latest updates, the black and white studies....the coloring. You're improving a lot, this one is my favourite http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../0902Omnom.jpg very cool head.

Cheers

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1