Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question about Majors (Art Center) - (Kind of lame question)

    Urgh. So After taking some Product and Trans classes @ Saturday High (Ass-kicked, much) - I'm left with a dilemma.

    First of all, I really love to design video game characters. Mostly organic things - creatures, character design - and enjoy the occasional trans and product. However the 'trans' and 'product' usually are really fantasy things - (such as for video games, or movies) and not as down-to-earth and efficent as most trans things would be.

    So, I know to major in entertainment design I need to go into Art Center with an ID major (environmental/product/design) and in 3rd term switch to Entertainment. I did know also that if you wanted to do the more organic features of Entertainment you would used to go through Illustration then go to Entertainment. But since there is a new Illustration head - whose driving Illustration more towards Fine Arts as opposed to the option of pushing it entertainment - I know that route isn't as possible as it is now. (And the fact many a illustration-ers are now rushing towards ID to get into Entertainment).

    So the question is this - if I still like more organic aspects to Entertainment Design do I still go through ID? Or should I major in Entertainment Arts? Is there even a difference? Should I just not go for Entertainment and get into a Character Design Major?

    I'm so lost, sorry for the annoying questions and thanks for any replies. I figured here was the best place to ask.

  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Thanked 126 Times in 37 Posts
    Hi xTristan,

    I graduated from Art Center with a degree in illustration a couple years ago. I would definitely recommend choosing a major that fits what you like to do. If you like to draw characters and creatures I would strongly recommend majoring in illustration because you will take classes that help develop your figure drawing and painting skills. When you transfer to entertainment you can choose the same entertainment courses as the ID majors.
    I would also have to recommend going to community college for at least a year before transferring to art center. This way you can get as much of the academic classes out of the way (like english, science, etc) and you won't have to take 2 academic terms when you are at art center. This also saves you thousands of dollars while giving you more time to work on your portfolio for scholarships.

Similar Threads

  1. Question about majors...
    By Fuzzy Brown Shark in forum Education & Schools for Artists
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 6th, 2010, 01:30 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
  3. Question about scad majors.
    By joxer in forum Education & Schools for Artists
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
  4. question for Art Center Students
    By caligula in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM
  5. Question about art center
    By gasmask in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 15th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast