Teen Challenge #5: Kaiju Monster
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Teen Challenge #5: Kaiju Monster

Time for round 5. Anyone ages 14-19 may submit an entry at any time before the deadline. Any medium is allowed, and your entry may include a short description.

The Topic:
    Creature/Character Design: Kaiju Monster
    For those of you unfamiliar with the term, Kaiju (which literally translates into "strange beast") refers to the subgenre of Japanese movies about giant battling monsters like Godzilla or Gamera. For this challenge, design your own giant Tokyo-destroying monster. It doesn't necessarily have to be scary, some of the earlier kaiju monsters are really ridiculous-looking, so you may take it in that direction if you like. A good starting point is to think of an ordinary creature and turn it into something huge and super-mutated. It may have mechanical alterations, but the monster itself must be a creature and not a robot.

To get a better idea of the topic, look here. Don't copy any of those designs though, because I know my kaiju and you will be caught. So use some imagination!

Monster names and descriptions of special powers/origin are encouraged but not required.

The Deadline:
    Saturday, April 22 at Midnight EST. Two weeks from now.

Go for it!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THis sounds awsome, have to get som inspiration from the centepede thread.

| My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in like tin. But actually so this time, already have an idea crawling out of my head, can't stop me now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to take a crack at this one as well!

Edit: Sorry... just saw it was a teen challenge.... Im out

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in again!

EDIT- Not entering, far too busy. Sorry.

Last edited by asoir; April 13th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    95% chance that I'm in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of the best challenges yet, sounds very interesting, love the old godzilla films. im 100% in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BLADOW! done, for now anyway.

Mutated by inproperly disposed of nuclear waste in the U.S.S.R. during the cold war, it is the friend of chidren and the enemy of capitalisim.

Last edited by invinciblewombat; April 11th, 2006 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' good so far wombat.

Here's my WIP.

Oh, and "I'm sick and tired of these mutha fuckin' snakes on this mutha fuckin' plane!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hm im going to have to drop out of this one, i didnt realise how much college work ive got to get done, sorry. good luck to everyone else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, i've finished my entry, i just need to take a nice photo of it and ill be all set to post it here in the thread. It should be up by tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeeeeled aye?

peace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might try if i have the time....seeing that i havent participated in one yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

finished.. i supppose

well guys here is my entry, im posting it now because i will be away when the votes are called i think. so anyway, from this i figured out water colors and both very fun, and very tricky to get the hang of hehe. the brown box things are buildings This thing was literally limited to 30 minutes, because thats the only time i had all night, so its a little below par of my usual. The photo i have taken has destroyed all the subtle greens and purples in the shadows and highlights, so bare with me

My monster both flys and walks around the city, with a cloud of untamable gas/dust, which both dirites the city, and affects his nemesis. He can use his small undeveloped feather/wing hands to grap up the people in threat and take them towards his beak.

Last edited by j a k e; April 11th, 2006 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    invinciblewombat > haha cool concept

condotierre > finish plz! perspective looks fun

j a k e > fun entry, nice story and i like the expression on his face

Last edited by Lewis; April 22nd, 2006 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might suggest that Kaiju are usually cartoony, or comical. Serious ones usually fall into a much more Western style of Sci-fi.

At least, I don't remember seeing a dark dementy like Kaiju.
    This is also a note for the judges, though it's usually about the best piece overall, I think concept might get lost in this round. Good luck, I might come in later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kaijū (怪獣), literally meaning strange beast or mysterious beast, is a popular Japanese term referring to strange creatures, especially giant monsters as portrayed in Japanese fantasy films and shows, especially tokusatsu and anime.

Kaijū most commonly refer to Japanese giant monster movies. A more precise terms would be daikaijū (大怪獣 - "giant monster") and kaijin (怪人) whick refers to humanoid monsters in related genre.

The most famous Kaiju is Godzilla and other well known Kaiju include Gamera and King Ghidorah.

from wikipedia.org

I believe mine is giant, monster, humanoid, strange and fantasy

I just didnt want to do a clichedragon or mechalike creature

But if u guys want to reject my entry for not meeting the rules, that is your decision. I had fun working on this piece and participating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    I might suggest that Kaiju are usually cartoony, or comical. Serious ones usually fall into a much more Western style of Sci-fi.
    Not necessarily - your perception is based on the really classic Kaiju films from 50's and 60's, and though it's true that those tended to be rather cartoonish, they are not the sole iteration of the genre. For an example, just look at the monsters from some of newer films made in the 90's or later - they're much darker and scarier thanks to advances in movie effects. Personally, I absolutely love the goofy designs of the classic monsters, but the genre of Kaiju refers only to giant destructive monsters and has no distictly defined mood or aesthetic style.

In short, Lewis' entry and all the others up to this point are fine. I'm trying to keep these topics pretty open to interpretation, so chances are I won't reject anything unless it's either very noticably off-topic, or at an unacceptable level of completion or quality.

P.S. - Who are these "judges" you guys keep referring to? Last time I checked it's only me, and I just take stuff to poll... Is there some kinda conspiracy going on here that I should know about?

Last edited by inkerton; April 15th, 2006 at 04:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to have a go at this. Did, a sort of cartoony-beastly cross, but I probably have no idea what I'm talking about because I never whatched many of these movies. I'm 14 if anyone wants to know.

Edit- D'oh! I meant to do alot more with this, but I guess I thought I had a lot more time than I ended up having. Hopefully I'll get a more finished one in next time.

invinciblewombat- Cool concept! Interesting take on it. (Corn was not my first thought for a city destroying monster.)

Condottiere- This could turn into something really cool.

j a k e- I've been meaning to try out watercolor for a while now. I like the stylized design!

Last edited by Cup of Joe; April 22nd, 2006 at 11:25 PM.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't saying they WEREN'T fine, or rejecting it or anything. I'll do some sketches tonight tho.

EDIT: Ack, so maybe I did say that. I just remeber reading Kaiju as supposing to appeal to young people or something, must have misread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive gone for a more cartoony/stylised aproach to mine.
    im liking these entries so farrrrr.Cant wait to see the rest of the entries! Lets get these entries in guys!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll jump into my first teen challenge by presenting:

Nemron the monster from space! After mankind had miraculously discovered a way to send orbiters to Andromeda galaxy in 2034, it was all supposed to mean a new and prosperous age for mankind. Unfortunately the very first orbiter send to Andromeda hit the nest of Nemron, the space monster. All of her children died in the crash, and left Nemron furious.

Nemron managed to track the origin of the orbiter, with her special power of seeing the history. Travelling faster than light, the space monster soon reached earth and began to destroy it, one city by time. Her amazingly 300 meters long tail crushes buildings and shoots lasers againts all that tried to stop her.

Unfortunately, Nemron wasn't that hardy and a single nuclear bomb launched by the USA destroyed her and most of Texas, where she was by the time.

Last edited by Sept13; April 21st, 2006 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one, Sept. Three more days for this guys, lets see some more good entries!

Speaking of which, mine is pretty close to being finished. Maybe sometime tomorrow, if I find the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww snap, some nice stuff coming outta this, especially from jake and sept, I have to go revise mine and make it not suck so I at least stand half a chance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang, I wont be able to finish my piece in time, but here is what I was working on...
    (This is not a submission)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the last day to submit something, so if anyone else wants to take part in this, post your entry before midnight EST.

Speaking of which, I'm finally ready to unleash my monster upon the world. To make up for my crappy last minute entry in round 4, I went all out and fully rendered this one.

The dreaded GigaSnail! Or as the French call it, the Escargoliath.

Size: 7 stories tall when upright, 15 stories long from tail to eyestalks; mass is estimated to be at least 500 tons

Known Weapons/Attacks: immensely powerful arms, earthshaking tail-thump, crushing jaws and razor-sharp radula, leaves trails of toxic and corrosive mucus, impenetrable shell can be used to deliver a devastating headbutt

Special Powers: remarkably rapid regenerative ability - can absorb large amounts of damage and even regrow severed extremities

Known Deficiencies: Flesh is somewhat soft and susceptible to damage, relatively slow at moving across distances, can dry out from prolonged exposure to heat and lack of moisture

Origin: Unknown. But it probably has something to do with radiation or aliens or something.

Known Weakness: Salt

Cities Destroyed: 3 and counting. All attacks against the monster thus far have failed because of its powerful regenerative abilities, but as we speak, military scientists are hard at work developing a specially modified "salt cannon" in preparation for the GigaSnail's next rampage.

Members who have read this thread: 1