Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

who's in good health here?

I find myself sitting on my ass, drawing or painting too much can be hazardous...any of you have have a good work out plan for themselves...I try to do some cardio and pump iron...but drawing gets addictive and I only end up exercising 2 times or less a week...but I am sure all of us artist get so into drawing or painting we lose track of time...either way, i try to be a healthy artist...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I walk an hour and a half each morning, great to get those creative jucies flowing, i also have a little rule, every time I go the the bathroom i do 3 x20 pressups, I drink alot of water, so I easily get through 200 a day, and It actually keeps me semi defined (yea I almost laughed out loud when typing that). On the other hand, Im very tall and lankey.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    i usually have a job that cosists of alot of manual labor. Thats basicly my workout plan.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Muscularly, good.
    Cardio-wise, not good.

I love lifting weights but I loathe cardio... running, kicking drills, all of it, I hates it...

Thanks
    it's very helpful if you have a buddy to motivate you and vice versa. my friend works out nearly every day of the week, knows his stuff inside and out... he pushes me to my max whenever we workout together

basically if you have somebody to push you, go with their routines until you develop you're own

Thanks
    Kung fu.

I can run on a sidewalk, up or downhill, carrying bags full of food, without even trembling.
    And my muscles sometimes feel like steel plates. (quite painfull)

Actualy, I started about a month ago. But its doing wonders.

I'll still need new eyes in a few years tho.

EDIT: By sidewalk I mean that small division lines between sidewalks and roads... what´s the name for that?
    Last edited by Sady; April 8th, 2006 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    I do martial arts. Great cardio and it's a lot of fun to spar. Just try not to get hurt. Bad for your art. Got my drawing hand injured once in judo practice, couldn't draw for a week. Man, it sucked.

Thanks
    I´m the opposite of you guys , i dont exercise, at all, and I´m basically in front of a screen/drawing table all day....

The result:

Im 21 years old, i have a 40 year old man´s blood presure, i get sick easyly, I have an energy problem, bad eyes, unused muscles and a really really pale skin....

I might have some more problems, but is better not to know XD.

Don´t be like me .

Thanks
    Heya mate..... For myself I try and walk every where I can without driving. Also If I am drawing I like to take a hike and bring my sketchbook with me. Every day I jump on the trampoline for at least 15 or more minutes, Also I find stretching and doing all body weight exersizes and some weights, and alot of skipping keeps me fit as a bean. Also keep to eating heathly cutting out all junk foods and if i do eat junkfood it is only once every little while as a treat. I found myself feeling much better after doing this and more alive.. Also flexibilty helps out with every days things walking, sitting, joint movement, etc.. I dunno man! I love the feeling of being able to just go kick a soccer ball around for an hour with some buddys without dying and having a nice toned body for the women as well.

Thanks
    What I try and do to make cardio fun is to bring one of my Bridgeman books with me and read/study while I'm on the bike. It certainly makes the time go by faster. You could also grab the old iPod and listen to music or audio books. If you lift weights, try and visualize the muscles you're working from your studies.

If you don't have a gym membership, pick a place to draw a good walking distance from where you are (library, coffee shop, etc.) so you get some exercise walking back and forth.

What you basically have to do is make it fun for yourself. If you look at exercise as something you dread, then chances are you'll think of ways to avoid it. But if you try and make it enjoyable, then you'll do it more often. Just like drawing.

Thanks
    No way. Not again. The last time I answered this question on the interent, I woke up in an ice bath, sans a kidney.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, it's frickin' dialysis.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sady
    EDIT: By sidewalk I mean that small division lines between sidewalks and roads... what´s the name for that?
    The curb?

Good for you with the kung fu.

I was in karate for 3 years. Barely learned a useful thing. It's become so watered down, there's all sorts of new moves with regards to sparring (useless IMO) and no inclination to re-evaluate the katas, oyo ido, and other fundementals.

Keep with the traditional art and stay away from karate and Tae Kwon Do (mostly, some places focus on the practical and are good places to train)

Thanks
    I don't do enough of the exercise thing..walking places is the most. But atleast I eat very healthy. That's the first thing I think of when it comes to health.What goes into yoru body rather than what you do with it...
    ~Website~

Please find attached one heart, human, removed from my own chest at great personal hardship. It's for you.

Thanks
    I signed up for a cheap class at my community gym so that its every week and I already paid for it and I have so little money its an incentive, so I don't feel like I wasted it. Also, I try do school work while I'm working out so that I end up reading European History or Physics books while I bike/run/elliptical. Also, I found a friend who is awesome about working out and so we go together and then I feel bad if I don't go (I'm naturally competetive). My last resort, is I have like a calendar that I take everywhere.And on days I work out, I put a sticker in, and I like stickers so I get sad when I dont' have any.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    it's very helpful if you have a buddy to motivate you and vice versa
    I used to think so, but I feel completely oposite these days. I HATE having to try coordinating with somebody else, especially if they're not as comitted. If they're more comitted, I feel guilty like I'm letting them down. When I go work out, I put on my headphones, do my work, and get out. No social activity, no distraction. That's how I stay motivated, though sometimes I need to watch Pumping Iron or a Rocky movie if my dedication is flagging. That scene of Lou Ferrigno shouting "AHNOLD! AHNOLD!" does it every time.

Overall, I think I'm in better shape than I've ever been before and eating healthier for certain. I can't wait for summer when I can start running in the beautiful outdoors. Still have a ways to go to meet personal satisfaction though (if that's possible), and need to keep working on my posture
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    "The last time I answered this question on the interent, I woke up in an ice bath, sans a kidney."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at Puppy Chow. Sorry...I didn't know that was you...

I'm 60. I've survived the 60s, the 70s, two heart attacks, four car wrecks, two bombings and being shot at. The rest was small shit. So...

...define healthy.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Well here's a test to find out how fit you are:

I found this fitness test on May's issue of Men's Health. I think it's pretty good, plus you can do this test yourself at home.

This test is divided into 5 categories: strength, cardio, flexibility, agility and power.

1) Strength
    Push-ups: drop and give us as many as possible until failure. Maintain proper form throughout.
    Scoring: top army recruits do 68 push-ups in two minutes. Your upper body is buff if you can grunt out 40 to 50 in that time.

Sit-ups: lie with yourfeet flat on the floor, knees bent 90 degrees and hands resting on your thights. Curl your torso up, sliding your hands towards your knees, then lower yourself back down. Perform as many as you can in one minute, while keepin ghour feet on the floor.
    Scoring: a score of 40 reps per minutes is a sign of solid core. The average for most men is 35 rpm.

Squats: keeping your knees behind your toes and torso straight, bend your knees and lower yourself until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Slowly stand back up and repeat. Continue until failure or until you break form.
    Scoring: do the old up-and-down 31 to 34 times and your leg strength is average. Close on 45 times and it's excellent.

2) Cardiovascular fitness
    Three minute step test: find a 30 to 45 centimeter step or sturdy box. Keep a consistent four-beat pace while you step up and down for three minutes. Rest for one minute and then take your pulse for 30 seconds. Now multiply the result by 5.6 and divide this into 18000 (the duration of exercise in seconds multiplied by 100). This is your step-test score.
    Scoring: the higher your step-test score, the more efficient your body's blood pump. Anything between 60 and 100 is considered fit.

3) Flexibility
    Sit and Reach: put a 30 cm ruler on top of a box so that half of it is hanging off. Now sit on the floor with your legs extended and bare feet flat against the front of the box. (your feet should be on either side of the ruler) Hands overlapping and legs straight, lean forward as far as you can. Hold your stretch and note the distance between your fingertips and toes. (negative numbers if your stop before your feet, positive if your reach beyond)
    Scoring: if you can stretch 5cm to 15cm past your feet, you're flexible. More than 15 and you're downright elastic.

4) Agility
    Shuttle run: place two strips of tape three metres apart and set two light books beyond the far strip which we'll call "mark#2". Standing on mark#1, time the following sequence:
    1. (Start watch) Sprint to mark#2, grab a book.
    2. Sprint back to #1 and place the book right behind the tape.
    3. Sprint back to #2 to grab the second book and return to #1, stopping your watch as you pass it.
    Scoring: under 10 seconds is speedy. Under 9 seconds is pratically supersonic - the fastest men run the shuttle in 8.7 seconds.

5) Power (pylometric ability)
    Vertical jump: wet the finger of your right hand and stand with your right side touching a wall. Reach up with your right hand and mark the higest point you can touch. Now re-wet your fingers and stand next to the wall again. This time jump with both legs and extend your right arm to touch the wall. Jump three times and note your highest mark. Your vertical leap is the difference in centimeters between your standing reach and your top jump mark.
    Scoring: the magic number is 50cm. Sky that high and your springs are in great shape.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    I'm 60. I've survived the 60s, the 70s, two heart attacks, four car wrecks, two bombings and being shot at. The rest was small shit. So...

...define healthy.

dude i didnt realise southwestern pennsylvania was a warzone.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    I'm 60. I've survived the 60s, the 70s, two heart attacks, four car wrecks, two bombings and being shot at.
    Tell us some stories!
    -hal

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    "Tell us some stories!"

I don't have to drool and call everybody a scalawag while I'm doin' it, do I?
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    I wanna hear the stories toooo!!!

I think I m in crap health ....
    SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    In the summers i ride motocross...very, very bad for your art but its nice and you get ALOT ALOT ALOT of exercise.

My problem is in the winters, just trying to stay awake mostly.

Thanks
    Heh I'll openly admit it I'm not healthy at all right now, the exercise I get I get walking my dogs, I always say I'll go to the gym and stuff like that but I don't like the gym and well I never get around to thoose other alternatives so, nope I'm not a very healthy person ^^;
    You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body. - C.S Lewis

My sketchbook, updated whenever I get around to it

Thanks
    I'm nowhere near as fit before, but I still eat healthly. Exercise-wise, I do about 50-60 squats every morning and night (whilst brushing my teeth...yay for multi-tasking! xD) and try to go to the gym every week. Used to do this routine thing at least every night, sometimes in the mornings too but that faded out after my room started to get too messy to do anything. Still pretty flexible though, but can't quite do the splits anymore.

Ilaekae: You should write an autobiography!! Yah, I wanna hear stories too [sets up campfire] Marshmallows, anyone?
    Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    WAHAHAHHAAAA HAHAHAHAHAH UHUHUUUHUHU HAHAHAHA

....health, yeah. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, yes,.......health..............whow............... hehe

No honestly: I really can't remember the last time that I felt healthy. Must be over a year ago or something like that.
    heres my list:
    Addicted to coffee --> damn shaking hands
    Addicted to zigarettes
    huge lack of sleep ( see depressions)
    suffering under depressions --> have to take some damn Pills
    --> feelin Fucked all the time
    --> can't sleep--> feelin tired all the time

Well I am not one of those Fat fast-food kids but though my body is in bad condition since I can't remember when I saw sunlight the last time. Unfortunately I don't do any sports or something like that, since drawing and painting takes all my time....
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    I'd say I'm pretty healthy atm, though I'm definitely not where I was a year ago. college made me alot lazier I'd say ate terribly the first semester and didn't do too much, but this last semester I decided to start eating more healthily (as well as to actually go run/lift at the school's gym).. I do martial arts as well, which does help.

Thanks
    I don't have to drool and call everybody a scalawag while I'm doin' it, do I?
    Of course you do! Try to find an old lemon tree too and we can make this a simpsons episode. Bombings and shootings might not be something you wanna talk about too much, but if you do I think the "I confess"-thread would be a great place to do it

As for my health. I'm skinny, badly conditioned, smoke and drink too much and hardly ever work out... I usually have 3-4 month periods over the summer when I run, lift weights and eat good. We'll see what happens this summer.
    -hal

Thanks
    This is an important topic. I always have a hard time hearing all some people - especially pros - do is art, eating, sleeping, ..you get it. Maybe they're just lucky, but my back doesn't allow for that.

Recently I got around a few ebooks on bodyweight exercises. They can be quite intense. You can do these at home without much equipment and without wasting time and money lifting weights at the gym, which I feel isn't the sole answer to proper training.

Take a look at this. I'm sure descriptions to some exercises can be found in the internet for free.

Thanks
    I'm doing one-arm pushups as I'm writing this thread....

I guess the trick is to discipline yourself to a point where it becomes addictive and you HAVE to do a routine to to start your day- even if its just 15-20 minutes a day, and then work yourself slowly up to 30-45minutes a day.

Easier said than done I know...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    dude i didnt realise southwestern pennsylvania was a warzone
    well, there are certain areas of Pittsburgh that come to mind...
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast