Thanks

Disney Internship??

Well...I was going to apply for it, since it's the closest thing I have here. But after telling some friends, and asking some people, they all gave me the same respond. I quote:

"Disney workshop and internship is like a Nazi camp"

Should I take their word for it and develop my skills some more until I stumble into something else?

Has anyone actually heard anything about them?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    No harm in applying.

If you absolutely hate it, then quit. no big deal

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    and how many of those people actually did it?

thats what I thought.

I am sure there are peeps here who did the disney internship thing...would be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

I know three people who have done it, all were complete disney heads...if that makes sense...it was what they wanted...so they were stoked...all stayed there for a number of years too. so yeah...was good for them.

most internships are hell....long hours, little appreciation....then one day you got the skillz and no one can deny it...then appreciation comes...then respect...then you are out of hell and into the frying pan of real job life.

Thanks
    Isn't an internship suppost to be like hell?
    You allways hear that you have to do stuff you are not studying for,
    I myself noticed that, cleaning up was one of my daily jobs...
    You're for free(or allmost) then people are most likely to use you.
    still if I where you I wouldn't be scared about it, Do you want to do this?
    Is it what you are looking for, well don't let a bad comment stop you, why would you?
    Good luck with it
    Kisses Liz

Thanks
    What I've heared about Disney is it's almost like any mark you make on the paper you will never see again in your life. Not a single cel, not a sketch, nothin'. I don't know from experience, but I've heard this from a few people. Than again, sacrificng that for working for north America's bost prestiged animation company is a fair trade in my books.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Also make sure it has to do with animation. I live down in Orlando and most of the people that I know that did the internship thing for a semester while in school worked in the parks, ran rides and cleaned up "protein spills" (Disney for vomit) and lived in a Disney run apartment complex you had to fill out a ream of paperwork just to get in the front gate. Also until very recently Disney had stopped production of 2D animated features. They fired everyone down here in Orlando, people who had been animating for Disney (before it was a bad word) for like 30 years...boot...out on the street. I believe they closed their last 2D studio like 5 or 6 months ago, I think it was in Australia or something like that.

RANDOM: A friend of mine's band was playing in Downtown Disney somewhere and they were told to drive down this service road. The road ended up taking them through part of the park and as they crossed a little back road intersection a tram almost ran into their van. The driver of the tram leaned out the window and yelled, shaking fist in the air, "NO ONE DIES IN DISNEYLAND!!" Then drove off. Supposedly Disney won't let medics declare people dead within the park, it has to be done at the hospital right outside the park. Although a couple of people have died there since I've been living down here. Mission Space has killed 2 old people and a kid that just collapsed and died after getting off the ride.
    Last edited by Cthogua; April 7th, 2006 at 08:53 AM.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Yup Australia, we got lots of ex-disney animators unemployed and floating around.
    Actually one is giving lessons in our area, he's a fun guy and it was great talking to a real animator for once. =)
    Not my teacher who keeps trying to pass himself off as one.
    Last edited by sciboy; April 7th, 2006 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusvell
    "Disney workshop and internship is like a Nazi camp"
    Do they say this because it's a lot of work?

Ummm... I hate to break it to you, but concept design is a lot of work. All design is a lot of work. If you are work-averse, you need to choose a different career. If I had an internship and I didn't work a couple years off of my lifespan, I would feel kind of ripped off.

Disney has a long time reputation for being a great place to learn, they've even founded/funded a couple schools around the country (isn't this how ACCD got started? Weren't they originally a Disney founded school?). Now that they've closed their 2D animation studios (stupid move on their part) I imagine some of the opportunities they used to have are gone now, but depending on where you want to go in your career there's still plenty of things you can pick up at a place like Disney.

How many concept designers do you think work on a new attraction at one of their parks? Or just think about the merchandise that they design. Or hell, the concession stands are all designed by someone, with some theme in mind. I mean, everything in a Disney theme park is designed by somebody, even the bathrooms! That kind of experience has got to be useful and I'm sure putting "Internship at Disney" looks good on a resume. Can you imagine getting a chance to work on one of those simulation rides, like Star Tours? Not that you would get that opportunity as an intern, but who knows? Somebody is working on a project like that over there right now, you can be sure of it.

There is a lot of concept design in an organization like Disney, not just for movies and their TV shows, but for every publicly visible aspect of the entire corporation. Sounds to me like a good opportunity. Just be sure you're getting a real "internship" and not a summer job in the park or something.
    -------------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

Thanks
    Er, it's not an ART internship.

You work in the park for about minimum wage, take one or two business/hospitality classes, and stay in a furnished apartment with 5 other people that you pay $500 out of your paycheck, per month.

I went to the internship seminar and asked the guy, "So..we're ART students? Doing this internship isn't going to have anything to do with that?" He said that maybe I'd get signed up to do a ride in MGM, and then I might take a break and might run into an animator. Oh man, what a load of crap. I also wasn't impressed when he told us that for CHRISTMAS everyone at Disney works in the park. That he could be home with his family, but he was part of the Disney family, so he left his cubicle and went out on the street to sling hotdogs. Yaaah, I don't do the drone thing.

My friend did sign up and worked in Animal Park over the summer, in a clown suit, at an outdoor food kiosk. She actually loved it because she got to ride any ride she wanted to and she was living in DisneyWorld. Personally, I wouldn't like to be taken advantage of--work for that low, pay rent, forced to take two classes that don't apply to me, and be in a clown suit in the 100+ degree weather. However, you may love the park. It's up to you.

Thanks
    Yea, I guess trying wont hurt. I want to be a concept artist, and I guess this might look good on the resume. Thanks for the advice people. I will make sure that I dont get ripped off into working on the park...

Thanks
    It seems to me that it's all about paying your dues. Thing is, it's about how much you want to pay.. ala blood, sweat, tears, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    Mission Space has killed 2 old people and a kid that just collapsed and died after getting off the ride.
    that was one silly ass ride if I remember it right. Possibly the most boring ride I've ever been on. All the same, I was sad to hear it got canned. How could anybody die on that but from old age waiting for it to end?
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    that was one silly ass ride if I remember it right. Possibly the most boring ride I've ever been on. All the same, I was sad to hear it got canned. How could anybody die on that but from old age waiting for it to end?
    quick hijack...
    um, i was just at disney and mission space is still open as far as i know. it is one of the more fun rides at disney world, feeling those g forces at launch, then the feeling of weightlessness as you float through space, then crash landing on mars. so cool. it's one of the only rides i've ever been on that provides barf bags when you sit down. i can quite possibly see how someone could die from that ride, it's nothing short of intense.

you must be thinking of something else.

Thanks
    Ive only been to Disney once, and if my memory doesnt fail me, Mission Space was still open. And yea, it was one hell of a boring ride :/