Looking for some quick advice/opinions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for some quick advice/opinions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for some quick advice/opinions

I have a dilemma. I have recently acquired money, yes, that much elusive thing that us poor folk get once in awhile. What's even more, is that I can use it for something for me. I've acquired enough to buy either a new motorcycle or a Cintiq 21UX. I'm conflicted. The motorcycle is a Kawasaki Ninja 250R, it gets 75mpg, and it's fun, and it's warming up here, so I'll ride it alot. Plus my best friend just got one and we are planning on taking some road trips. But on the other hand, I can afford a Wacom LCD Tablet, a Cintiq, which I have wanted since the first time I saw them. I currently have an ArtzII 4x5 tablet, that I've had for over 10 years now. It still works great, but it's showing some wear, and I've got some deep scratches in it now. I'm not sure if buying the tablet would be more economical over buying the motorcycle. With buying the bike, I'd be saving a hell of a lot of cash on gas. With the tablet, I make no money, as I'm not employed at the moment. But at the same time, the tablet will allow me to further my skills and I plan on going back to school in the near future, as I want to pursue my lifelong dream of working in the gaming or movie industry doing concept work and/or 3d modelling. Either way, I will eventually have both, but for the here and now, which would be a smarter purchase, the tablet to further my skills and education, or the bike, so I can save some money back, and perhaps get a tablet later on, or a cheaper tablet to tide me over until I get enough again to get a Cintiq? Or should I go and buy $3800 worth of lottery tickets and hope for doubling my money? lol. Seriously though, advice, opinions?

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have to think about what you'll be doing in the long run. A tablet is a tablet. A motorcycle is leathers, insurance, helmet, gas, maintenance, etc...
    Plus, there's winter / rainy seasons, where your bike is no good..

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just buy a wacom intuos3 6 x 8 or something its more than enough to successfully paint digitaly... what would you need the cintiq for if your not drawing 168 hours a week? then, with the rest of the money you could also not buy the bike and go and do some courses at watts or gnomon since you dont have any time obligations due to a job or anything. im sure it will be better than riding with your buddy.

how is that for a plan?

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed with tensai, just get a wacom for a fraction of the price. You don't need a cintaq that way you can get both the wacom and a good tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some people think a cintiq is a gift from god, and then some people like me are perfectly happy on a regular tablet. Personally, theres no way that I can justify the cost for what Im getting in a cintiq. But then, its really up to you. My advice would be, find someone who owns a cintiq and try their's out. See if its worth the money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly I think a cintiq is overkill unless you are producing large amounts of high quality work (feel free to correct me, cintiq users). Don't wanna be rude, but really at the level you're at it's really not going to do any more than burn a big ass hole in your pockets. It isn't going to further your skills or education, it won't make you a great artist, it's just another tool. Honestly you will be better off doing what tensai said and buying a 6x8 intuos or even graphire, and spending some money on taking life drawing and painting classes or whatever. If you're really dying for it, you could get a graphire or intuos 6x8 and still afford your motorcycle. But do you really need to spend it all at once? Why not save for a rainy day? You might be glad for some extra cash if you're going back to school.

What's that old adage? A fool and his money are soon parted...

Last edited by waronmars; April 7th, 2006 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, a Ninja will get your ass killed. Don't get me wrong, I looooooove my bike (Yamaha 225), but it seems like EVERY young guy who runs out and gets a crotch rocket ends up doing some incredibly stupid and unsafe things with it. Usually in the company of his buddies, who egg him on...

*sigh*

If you do that, PLEASE be safe with it. Helmet, long sleeves, pants, ride with traffic--not through it, no freaking wheelies in traffic, etcetcetc!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for the input. I'm actually 29 years old, and I'm past the whole showing off stage, so killing myself on a bike would be for another reason other than that. But regardless, I opted to not get the bike. Instead, I purchased an Intuos 6x8 tablet, an iPod Nano (2gb), and a brand new PC, 4ghz, 2Gig of Ram, 400Gb Hard Drive space. So I'm all set to start working hardcore on my 3d designs and my art. Thank you all again for the input. It helped me figure out what I needed to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool - one more plan; buy some paper and a pencil as well and start a sketchbook here. the crits will help you improve faster than doing it totally on your own.
    check gaboart's sketchbook from beginning to end for example. its a great motivator.

have fun,

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tensai, would you happen to have a direct link to his sketchbook? And your work is inspiring as well. I would love to see more of your Machines.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my addvice -- get the bike. you have a tablet that works. the bike might prove to be an inspirational thing for you art with the idea of a road trip and all else that might come with it (and new inspiration is always a great thing)! i'd do the bike...but that's just me.

cheers, venture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can search the forums on user, but here it is. bring some popcorn and read the comments from these guys, great attitude.

GaboArt
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18792

MindCandyMan
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

tensai

bLok

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.