Art: Nude figure oil painting from life

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nude figure oil painting from life

I finished a painting yesterday!

"Sarah"

Nude figure oil painting from life
    Click for larger.

18" x 24", oil on stretched canvas.

This is from my figure painting class at my high school (I'm a junior) and it's the first thing I've finished in a long time. I'm really awful at finishing things, but I'm getting better (I think/hope).

Anyway, tell me what you think!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to use [img] [/img] instead of Html. =\

AND WHY DOES EVERY HIGHSCHOOL BESIDES MINE HAVE FIGURE CLASSES?

=(

Maaaaan. You are so lucky.

Oil too? We can't use that because of fumes. So much complaining....

Anyways, I'm not sure about painting technique, but that purple is really out of place. Though I am guessing it's an underpainting? I've always wanted to paint in oils. I can't really offer much crit, but the colors on the figure look sort of confusing and unorganized. Her head also is very small compared to her body. Other than that proportions look very nice!

pleeeeeeeeease take as much advantage of this as you can, some of us whiney baby highschoolers are very envious. At least I know I am.'

EDIT: now that I don't have to scroll to see all of it, the colors look nice there, though now the shadows seem very black. I am no color expert, but I think some Red would help.

Last edited by Pixeldragoon; April 6th, 2006 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I see. Got it now, though. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My high school wouldnt allow nude stills because of kids being not mature enough to do it and would do something stupid or take advantage of the model.

edit: sorry i forgot to say that it is a very good painting. im a junior myself and i can say from looking at the experience at our age group, you are certainly ahead in this category for the most part. keep it up. yet i do have to crit that you used a broad choice of color on highlights and darker areas on the body of the model dont seem to mix together well. i dont know if you understand what im saying but its just my taste to have the skin a little more blended, but hey styles differ.

keep it up bro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeldragoon: Thanks for the crit! And yes, the purple is the underpainting, which intentionally left exposed, sort of in the manner of Cézanne (for some reason I really like the intensity of work that's not super finished or worked over) but I can understand how it may be confusing. I like that confusion though, you know? I'm really going for a more impressionistic approach rather than realism, but do you think the confusion takes away from the piece?

I go to an art magnet school, Carver Center for Arts and Technology in Baltimore, Maryland. It's a wonderful school for art, in many cases art is put before academics. I also am taking a figurative sculpture course (which also has nude models). I'm hoping on becoming a fine artist and going to an art school (Cooper Union being at the top of my list).

This piece is also a lot smaller than I like to work, I have two W.I.P. paintings over on the sketches board that are much larger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, the fact that you were going for impressionism makes it alot better. Some people delve for Realism in an impressionistic approach, using the strokes like you did. It's still very nice, but I think maybe taking the Saturation down a bit on the purple would still be nice.

I go to an Arts Charter school(Manatee school for the Arts), but we have more PE classes than we do Visual arts. All our arts are based more on theatrics and Dance and Music. Not to mention, our art teachers are mostly modernist "snobs". The fact they are modernist doesn't bother me, the fact that one doesn't believe in color theory does.

I've been stuck on that point =\

Again, good work. You are obviously well on your way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dragoon i feel your pain about the oils and figure drawling class

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff. The head is a little small and doesn't sit quite right on the shoulders. My favorite part is actualy the hanging canvases in the upper right. As for the purple, that straight dioxazine violet is a little raw to us as an imprimatura, try cutting it with a bit of umber. Something warmer might have worked better against the cool tones you have here. I quite like the way the green is working out in the other batch you posted, though.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its avery nice expeiriance ,specialy when you have some backround history

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.