Mcad?

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Mcad?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Mcad?

I've handed in my portfolio and done all other required steps to join MCAD (Minneapolis College of Art and Design) up to this point.

Anyways, I have to give the school $150 by May 1, but I'm not sure I want to go. I'm not going to find out what type of financial aid I will recieve until AFTER that point, and well, I have to pay for all of my college expenses (about $136,000 excluding aid).

I would want to get a painting degree, but I would be willing to do illustration if it better suited me (I'm an oilpainter/watercolorer/photoshoper).

Anyways, I have a few important questions about the school, and I haven't really gotten any straight answers out of the faculty.

Is it too abstract art focused? Will they allow me to do classical or fantasyish paintings for most of my assignments? I don't mind abstract, but I don't plan on doing it for a living, therefore I don't want to spend much time on it.

Is the housing cost (and other things like books, etc) covered by student loans? I just read that you need to make housing payments each semester, which makes me think I will have to fork over cash for this. I don't have $20k lying around, so that would make going there an impossibility.

Is the school any good? When I look at the student work it all seems kinda crappy. 95% of it is abstract, which makes me think that I won't be able to focus on what I love.

I guess what I'd want is a school that assigns open projects, which I can work on in any way that I please. I don't NEED an art school, I already have an excellent handle on the mediums that I care about, and would be using the school for resources, motivation, and a good experience (It's college, one of the best experiences a person can have).

I'm gonna cut this short and just say, if anybody can answer these questions, and maybe tell me what the school is like I'd appreciate it GREATLY.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your total cost of going to school is usually figured up by your school depending on your situation, and will include room, board, materials and tutition. That figure is what the govt bases your EFC (Estimated Family Cost) on, which in turn effects how much federal aid you can get and also how much you can borrow in student loans. IE If your total cost=$30k and your fed aid and scholarship money=$10K, then you can borrow up to $20K. If you borrow more, the feds and your school assume you "don't need" the other money and start taking it back.

Classes in any college will demand that you try mediums and subjects that are out of your "comfort zone." Get used to it. You'll be a better artist for approaching all subjects and mediums with an open mind.

On that note, do not waste your money going to college if you're of the opinion that you don't NEED to. I don't see your attitude as doing anything but hindering your enjoyment of college. Don't bother if you already think you know everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, thanks for the information on the loan. It's very helpful.

And I assure you, it's not a comfort zone issue. Why would a dentist go to school to learn radiology? Sure they would need some of those skills, but that wouldn't be the focus of their education. Anyways, I'd gladly do some abstract art, I just don't want to have to do it for more than 10% of my assignments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool.

I don't often get to do the style, content or medium I'm used to doing, even in my sequential classes. However, I've learned to get excited about learning other things because...I already KNOW how to do the stuff I love to do. I don't need to go to school to learn it. I need to go to learn stuff I suck at.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.