Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

----- D A V I D E --- Now with some colour! - May 16th

Davide's journal - Scribbles and doodles from Rome

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, though I often take a look at your works here.
    First of all I really want to excuse for my poor english...it will be hard now to introduce myself without any mistake, but I'll try!
    I'm Davide, I live in Italy and I'm a 22 years old student of industrial design ( I'm about to earn my degree). I love drawing, and I'd really like to make a living at it, but I aint got any formal education, and...well, I hope that keeping this thread open will improve my drawing skills, and my english as well!

Obviously everyone is welcome with critics and suggestions!
    Ok let's start....I'll try to update this daily with at least one new piece...

Update april 22th: I'm looking for a good place for studying/practice drawing and painting, and I'm really interested in enrolling at Watt's Atelier in San Diego...I could move there in march/april 2007 (first I have to earn my degree here in Rome). What I'm asking to you guys is: COULD IT BE A GOOD CHOICE?

My trackball, life drawing

My camera, life drawing
    Photo ref.

Photo ref.

Last edited by davidefabrizzi; May 16th, 2006 at 05:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad man, you've got the propportions down on those men. you should try to do some perspective pieces, maybe with some foreshortening. That's that i'm working on too.

It that first drawing of a roller ball mouse? I give props to any one who can use one of those God-forsaken things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ciao (e' un paicere veder un altro italiano, finalemte )

well, niece stat, my fav is the last one (although the guy looks like he's about to slip from the rail)...
    jeez i hate those trackballs too ...anyway, post more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, just another couple of pieces I forgot to upload before...both life drawings
    tomorrow morning I'm gonna be sketching for a while by the park, I'm concentrating on life sketching because many people says that is a must for beginners. See ya!

The Gnoll:
    Siamo gli unici due italiani?? Tu di dove sei?

Ps: you won't believe what i'm saying, but I'm really happy with my trackball! Quite comfortable...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't think we're the only two italians, there must be some more around here (at least i hope so )
    i'm from Modena anyway
    yeah, i guess life sketching IS a must (quite boring IMHO, but i guess it has to be done)...maybe you could practice with some anatomy too (guess who...Andrew Loomis books )(really good books IMHO)

ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new update/ 7 april

Ok, new update for 7 april. Here in Italy it's not so late, so I think I'm gonna have more practice in life drawing later...meanwhile I show you some new works.

It's just the 2nd day of my sketchbook, and I know there's not much to see and to comment on, but as many of you I need to be daily encouraged about my works, so come on with critics/suggestions, everyone is really welcome!

Life drawing, it took about 1/2hour to complete
    Very quick life sketch ( maybe 1 min?)
    Photo reference. Quite happy with that

Quick sketch from photo ref, took about 5 mins ( charcoal)

Last edited by davidefabrizzi; April 7th, 2006 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Update/ 8 april! A few anatomy studies....

No replies for last update! Well I don't give up, here's my new daily update...unfortunately I ain't got much time to sit and relax ( and draw!) these days, I'll be spending most of my time studying boring stuff for an exam till tuesday...so no life drawing for now, only some figure drawing studies ( with a great help by Loomis...) and two old pieces....hope you'll find something interesting in my update this time!
    Ok let's start...

These are 2 works I did about 2 month ago, for training in perspective/environmental drawing ( no references). Still got much to learn about persp, as u can see.

3 sketches from photo ref....I'm trying hard to get my lines rough and soft, sometimes it seems like I use a cutter instead of a pencil ( any suggestion about this?)

Male proportion exercises, from Loomis's book. Just the front/side. I'll start working on mannikin frame in a couple of days.

That's all for today, I keep drawing at least 2 hours a day though I got a lot of works to do...I wish I could have much more time to spend drawing, but I guess many of you could say the same! Dunno if I will update this thread tomorrow...I'm gonna be working from 8 a.m to 10 pm!
    I'll do my best....see ya!

Last edited by davidefabrizzi; April 8th, 2006 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I'm definitely seeing improvement in your line quality and I really respect people who can draw cars. Let's see some more loomis studies! I'll be watching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep the sketching going. I would suggest doing alot more studies from the loomis book and other books as well. Try to think of simple shapes first. Shapes will do more justice to proportion and details. Try to draw through your forms as well. And try to keep loose to, I feel that you are being to tight with your sketches. I hope that helps, try to post alot more and maybe I will be able ot give more feedback later on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New update 10 april: old stuff + something new...

Hi everyone, welcome back to my journal...Though I've been working for 30 hours in 2 days ( by the polling station for italian elections....really stressfull) I've got a few minutes for sketching something...nothing special, I feel very tired and stressed so I just began studying the loomis mannikin frame at a very early stage...I promise you a more interesting update for tomorrow!
    Meanwhile I show you some old works too...
    See you tomorrow!

Ok, these are my mannikin stages...really at early stage as you can see

Well that's old...a couple of months ago. Just a figure drawing, trying to get the right drapery effect

This is old too ( I think did it in february)...I started drawing some perspective/environment studies then a huge airship-like wasp flew into the canvas...I'm somehow scared looking at this...

Old drawing ( january): when I broke my right feet I spent the first 40 days of 2006 in my bed... I really got much time for things like this...

Quite recent sketch...very quick, very simple...I'm somehow happy with that.

I really hope that someone will find something to like/dislike, comment on or discuss about my old works, because even if I'm starting from foundation studies now ( life drawing/sketching plus anatomy), I've got a background (probably full of mistakes!). Thanks everyone for stopping here!

ps: as I said before, forgive me if my english is a bit poor, I'm doin' my best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ops

I just forgot to thank smashpansy and matt smith for their replies...

matt: that's exactly what I'm goin' to do...sketch tons of drawings trying to get less tight with my pencil!

smashpansy: more car drawings soon, I really enjoy drawing vehicles, though I still have to do it with photo ref!

See you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small update / 12 april

Just a self portrait, with pencil and a graphite stick.
    See you ( got a lot of free time tomorrow...finally easter holidays!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toh un altro italiano.

In complessivo, buone proporzioni e una decente conoscenza anatomica.

Dovresti lavorare sulla qualita' della tua linea, renderla piu' sicura e decisa.

In ogni caso, continua, sei sulla buona strada.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update for april 13!

Hi everyone! Spent many hours drawing today...I'm happy with this even if the results aren't so good...I thing I'm working the right way and this gives me lot of patience.

Also I'm not busy with university studies/works in this period, so I got a lot of time for searching a drawing class/course to join.
    I was seriously wondering if taking online classes at academy of art in san francisco...cause I got no money ( at least for now!) to go and stay there.
    I'd start with foundation classes ( perspective, analysis of form, figure drawing....I REALLY need these things)....then I'd take some illustration/fine arts classes...
    The question is: whenever I wouldn't have to pay for staying/eating/everything else in san francisco, online classes are quiete expansive ( I wonder 11-12.000$ per year)...
    Is there anyone who can tell me about his experience in online classes?

I feel that I got a lot of force of will and ambitions. I really don't want to give up and loose money/time by studying in some ridicolous school in italy....These questions are driving me crazy...EVERY suggestion about this would be useful to me. Thank you

OK, now stop talking and let's see today's works....

Studies on Loomis Mannikin. Worked a lot on them, hope this will help in figure drawing...

More studies. This was the last page. Almost everything done without looking at the book ( obviously)

Quick sketch from photo ref.directly with Prismacolor Markers

Mmm...I've done this during a coffee break from Loomis book!
    Quick environment sketch
    I scrawl this kind of Space Airship/Pullmann/sci-fi thing...It definitely sucks! But I've almost never sketched airships...next one will be better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies here..im liking your enviroment piece, has a nice perspective. Your mannikin frame poses look good, they'll help a lot when it comes to poses and movement, good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    un apprezzamento anche qui che te lo meriti.

very nice drwaings and keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update! April 16

Hi everyone, I'm back again! Only 5 quick studies for today....I bought a couple of books about drawing for beginners and I'm trying to get into them...since I've got no mentors I feel a bit lost! I hope I'll be joining some drawing course very soon.........Meanwhile, can anyone suggest me a good way to start studying and practice perspective? Maybe a book, or life drawing, or everything else....

Ok let's show today's stuff...suggestions are always welcome!
    5 face/head studies ( very quick works) from photo ref...I collected tons of pics of head/face/portrait to work with...hope is a good way to learn proportions...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update for april 22! New stuff

Hi everyone! No updates since last friday...there was a problem with my camera and I couldn't upload my scribbles. However I've not spent much time drawing this week, not more than a couple of hours a day. I know I'd need more practice than 2hrs a day, but sometimes bad results discourages me...anyway here are the best works of my journal for this week.

AH, I got some news: in june I'll start a perspective/anatomy class here in Rome ( I REALLY hope that it will be worthwhile!), a 10 weeks course, 2 lesson a week.
    Moreover I've almost decided to move to Watts Atelier in San Diego, staying there about 8 months and take 15 classes ( that is what I can afford with my budget).I'll probably have some troubles with getting a visa and finding an adeguate rent, and with language as well, but I think it would be definitely a GREAT experience. I'd go there in the early 2007, after earning my degree.
    It would be great if someone here could tell me his experience in San Diego...or just could give me an opinion about my plan!

Ok, now let's see the scribbles....

I finally got the Scott Robertson DVD about perspective, these are studies for line quality ( straight lines, freehand circles, curve from 3 points....). I think I've done at least 15 A3 sheets of this stuff.

Well, these are quick life drawings (5 mins) from some statues. I went to the park to sketch people, but I got stressed 'cause I wasn't able to catch people movements in a very short time...My line quality still sucks...
    Old piece, found in a old sketchbook
    Photo ref. ( For those who cares, the player is Chivu!)

I can't render rocks! S***T!
    I think I should have used a more thick black pen for this sketch...

This one really looks better on paper than in this pic

That's all, see u tomorrow for new stuff! Again, I thank everyone who has looked at this thread, even for 10 seconds!

Davide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update for april 23!

No replies since last friday! Come on guys, what's wrong with my sketchbook???
    Only life sketching for today, I'm home alone and finally I got the right concentration.
    In the morning I went to the zoology museum...great place, I was almost alone with hundreds casts of animals...unfortunately I've done all my life drawings standing in a very uncomfortable position, my left arm still hurts...when I was too tired to go on I found a huge room with lots of models to draw and sofas to sit in! I'll go there again next week...

Anyway, I still got lot of problems when I try to see and catch the right proportion in my life drawings. I'm waiting for some life casts to arrive by mail ( I've ordered them from dickblick), I hope that spending many hours working with them will be helpful.
    Does anyone have a suggestion about "learning to see"??? Is " keep drawing from life" the right answer??

Thanks guys, see u tomorrow

Quick self portrait, I focused on general proportions

These are the animals sketches. I wish I had done more of them...anyway I'll be back at the museum in a few days!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update: April 26

Hi everyone...I've done just a few sheets in two days. I've got a lot of free time, but I aint got any mentor to help me, nor any class to work on, nor any goal to be focused on.
    And since good results doesn't seem to arrive, I really feel frustated about this situation.I find it hard to get the right motivation.
    I mean, I keep on working, but I feel like I could work more ( and better) if I could get a help from someone.

For now I'm trying to copy contours from upside-down photos and doing some contours life drawings.
    That's what I've done in the last two days:

These are both copied from the same photo ref. But the right one is copied upside-down. I have to practice hard to see shapes the right way.
    This is the photo ref:

The followings are from imagination. My anatomy/perspective knowledge sucks!

This is a portrait from life of my grandma. Quite happy with that

That's all for now...I hope I'll get replies, I really need some motivation today!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update...................cool sp

Another daily update... I've done a cool self portrait,though it's out of proportions I tried cool grey markers on light brown sheet, the result is quite cool, gotta have more works with this technique.

Upside down copied photos......

Quick sketch from ref

The self portrait ( the result is muuuuch better on paper! maybe I'll try to scan it at the university))

ps: I've sent an email to Watts...I asked for info about their international students policy...hope I'll get an answer soon.

Last edited by davidefabrizzi; April 27th, 2006 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi davidefabrizzi, i like the dog ^^ the next days i'll try to drwa my own one.
    How did you draw the selfportrait ? Did you use a mirror or a foto ?

Constantin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can call me davide! I ain't got a decent nick yet...I did the sp with a big mirror and a light...hope you like it! I've just seen your sketchbook, I'll write you something there! Bye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes i like it, but i'm sure much more if i could see a real foto of u.
    the two others are also great, its a level i want to reach next.

Constantin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update, may 6!

Hi guys! Long time since last update...
    First of all, I want to thank those who helped me with the difficulty of seeing proportions. They suggested me some foundation exercises to do, and
    I've done a sort of sheduled program to follow, writing down on a blog all the stuff I have to do daily, and now I work following these instructions.
    The exercises are:

Blind drawing. 3 15 mins sessions ( after 15 mins I fall asleep)
    Copying a photo/drawing 1:1, then trying to correct the proportions with a see-through grid. At least 1 hour
    Self portrait. 1/2 hour or 1 hour
    Bargue drawing. 2 hours
    I've organized it so that I can get at least 2 hours of practice a day

Since I ain't got a easel yet, I won't start with sight size method till next week.
    I started this program on thursday and I'll keep it going till 9 of june, when hopefully I'll start a perspective/anatomy class....
    This is stuff from last 2 days:

These are 2 self portraits in charcoal ( first try ever with charcoal) pencil, the left one is horrible...

This is a self portrait with graphite pencil....it definitely sucks

Blind contour drawings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't know if I already told you, but don't worry about the replies.I started with very few replies, but just reach the second page and you'll get more feedback.The important thing is drawing, now.The last sketches look very good, i really liked the animal ones, were they from life?
    Strange, i don't see many construction lines in your sketches, we could help you more if we actually see how you draw.The self portraits look good, and you should try coluring the enviros, the perspective looks good.btw, don't you have a scanner, it would be a good investment

i'd like to see some imagination stuff too, where you could apply what you've learnt from lfe drawing.

keep posting!
    ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you draw really well especially for not having any formal training! From what I can tell, you have a very keen eye. I wonder, do you sketch a plan before drawing, or do you just dive right in? If you do use construction lines, then you clean your drawings very well.

I love the animal portraits, I'm guessing you either found photo reference or went to a zoo? Either way, they came out very well. Your cars are also quite good. The futuristic one is also very interesting. Did you create it yourself, or was it a display of some sort? I would love to see some work from your imagination. One can't learn everything from just copying what they see.

I know of an exercise that might be of interest to you.
    -Take a colored pencil, (a pen works too) and think of something to draw. Preferably something that isn't in the area. This is supposed to work your brain, not your eyes.
    -Try to draw what your thinking of once on the paper. The catch is you're not allowed to erase. You're also not allowed to stop drawing and crumple it up, it destroys the point of the exercise.
    -Once done, look at the drawing. Figure out what you do and do not like about the drawing. Decide what needs to be fixed.
    -Next, draw the same thing again trying to fix the errors made in the first drawing. I usually use a different color to seperate the two, but it's not required.
    -Finally, analyze the second drawing and draw it again. This is the last time.
    -Compare the first and last drawing. 9 times out of 10, the third drawing will turn out much better then the first.

The purpose of the exercise is to learn how to translate what's in your head, to the paper without feeling like something gets lost inbetween. It also helps with getting things right to avoid erasing. I guess being unable to erase forces us to figure out how to get it right the first time.

I'll be back when you update! Keep up the good work and good luck!

Sketchbook~

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
    -Scott Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the replies guys. The animals were sketched in a zoology museum, such an awesome place, there are lots of animals casts and a few people. You can just sit on a sofa and drawing these models from life for hours. I hope I'll be back there next week...

@TheGnoll: Hi, it's great to see you again here. I'll take a look at your SB later, I've seen you've uploaded something yesterday. Did u find a SSG to join? I'm looking for people to form an ssg as well...
    Concerning your comments...I do not draw construction lines, usually I get straight into the drawing. I think that this is a bad habit, since I find it hard to sketch something quickly, with loose lines, as you should do when you've got a few seconds for sketching something ( a walking figure from life, or stuff like this).
    (Credo cmq che la capacità di fare schizzi rapidi, individuare linee di movimento e cmq in generale di catturare forme con pochi segni per poi ridelinearli venga dopo la pratica nell'osservare attentamente forme, contorni, proporzioni, che è quello che sto facendo io. Immagino sarà una naturale conseguenza. Te lo scrivo in italiano perchè in inglese mi sarei impicciato parecchio!)

@Psycartist: Read the reply to TheGnoll for the question about construction lines...you both asked me the same question!
    I know that imagination stuff like scifi things, creatures, enviros would be great and much more funnier, but the exercise I'm doing are strictly focused on my " seeing" skills, and on my line quality as well, wich are fundamentals things I think. I think I should be patient and undertake diligently and daily this stuff, even if this could be boring sometimes.
    Btw your exercise could be a working method for drawing from imagination without gettin' frustrated if you don't like the results. I'll try it this evening, you'll probably see the result here in a couple of days. If the method is effective I'll undertake it daily thogheter with other exercises.

Thank you guys for suggestions, see u!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Update: May 7th

I didn't work much today...I hate sunday, there a lot of people going round and round in my house and I can't find the right concentration....anyway, I studied 2 and half hours...
    2 copies from photo with grid and a self portrait done with prismac markers on colored paper.

Ok, let's find the differences....

It's boring stuff...but I have to do it. Anyway, I think that self portraits are really usefull exercises, and quite funny as well...

See u tomorrow....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the SP looks good.About your previous reply...
    mmm actually I don't fully agree with you.What u are doing are useful studies, but you could do more.I mean give your brain a break sometimes, just relax, daydream a little bit and then start doing some imagination skethces, whatever comes to your mind.Then, some times, you should start doing dirty sketches.Not quick ones, but some with construction lines that you need to understand better the actual shapes behind the objetcs you're drawing.I don't actually think the grid studies are that useful, they're just boring and don't help yu to focus on the actual 3d visualizazion of the object you should have in your mind.
    Actually the way i study is sit in front of one of my books or tutorials or whatever and then read it, look at it.Then after I've actually understood what it's about i but the book away and try to think what actually made that study useful.
    Obviously, do as you please, but please, give your brain a rest, and just draw what you feel like drawing, that will be just as useful most of the time

keep posting!

...btw, i'm in the SSG too!
    ciao

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1