The First Kill

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The First Kill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The First Kill

Hey,

here's an old cover for an online comic book I recently coloured; the issue was entitled "The First Kill" and can soon be found at www.nw-comic.co.uk -- ran it through a few filters for different results. CC welcome.

The First Kill

The First Kill

The First Kill

And here's pencils for a pin-up for the same comic -- I may still add another figure to the top half of this... and I'm not sure about the thumbs!

The First Kill

Oh yeah, and here's the 2nd page for an issue that may not be used -- I'm having time issues and they want the same artist for the entire mini-series. I'm gutted about it, but here it is anyway. And yes, I realise I forgot to shade in all the windows in the left hand building in panel 1... I'm a fool!

The First Kill

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Nshima; April 7th, 2006 at 04:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nshima
    ran it through a few filters for different results.

Hey there! Filters are generally frowned upon here, unless they're used with skill and sparingly. All three of the colored pics suffer from your use of filters in their own different way, mostly from being washed out. When you use a filter, you don't want the first thing your viewer thinks to be "WOW! That's totally a spotlight filter with copious use of the dodge and burn tool! And oh yeah, there's a jumping dude!"

If you are looking for a cel-shaded approach, avoid dodging and burning! Try to be more considerate of your forms when you shade - the hair on the character facing us is very unconvincing compared to the clothing folds of the other dude's pant leg. I think you are on the right track in using high contrast to draw attention to the jumping dude, but the stark white, star-shaped photoshop brush might not be your answer. Feels under-rendered and rushed.

I think your actual pages are working better in black and white than color. You're creating more focus with your darks so far and less distraction with shiny brushes. There are the usual anatomy issues, for which I can only tell you to google up some reference of figures (not of other comic chicks in similar poses!) but I really dig the reclining pose in the first panel. Nice sense of weight and overall proportion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Nice, those uncouloured ones are just very cool, nice comic style!
keep the good work up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the trouble with filters is that they take ages to get the look you want, where just doing plain vectors or painting it will cut down the time.

as for the black and white art, the layout kinda makes it hard to know whats going on. I would suggest making the panel outlines much bolder. Plus i'm not sure what that black mass is in the 4th panel.

nice style tho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to stay away from filters as much as possible. They only get in the way. After you lay down your flats select the area you want to darken or lighten (lasso), use the gradient tool (the color you want to use to zero color, lower the opacity to add it in strokes until you get the desired affect. Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, guys, that's a massive help, exactly what I was hoping for -- I hate trying to figure all this out again! Been too long since I last used Photoshop.

Oh yeah, Tom, that black mass is actually her hand on her hip in the foreground. She's looking in a mirror and I realised too late on that I hadn't distinguished that fact enough so I understand the confusion.

Thanks again, guys.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.