Art: Lots of images and website!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lots of images and website!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lots of images and website!

To coincide with my impending release from the College for Creative Studies, I thought I'd post some pics here and plug my website. Hopefully you all will be gentle! I'm graduating with a major in Industrial Design, however I've also taken a lot of Illustration classes in an effort to expand my skills and hopefully get into entertainment design somewhere.
    Anyways, take a look at the pics and if you're interested check out my website, it's DMBoyleDesign.com.
    I've also posted a brief resume in the jobs section, however you can see a more detailed one on the website.

These images are from a project I'm currently completing, it's a MMO proposal with very different types of characters, and a robust character deformation feature. It plays out like a huge game of RISK.

Main image.

You start the game as a human...

...and once you join a faction, slowly assimilate into one of these guys.

There's a bunch more images on my website. Please have a look!

Here's some other stuff:

Thanks for having a look. Let me know what you think!

Industrial Designer - Illustrator

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very solid work, bro. You pay great attention to technical detail while still allowing it to be expressive just as it should be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that tank Feng Inspired? Looks like it.

I don't like your characters nearly as well as that tank though. Good job on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second to last picture is so cool. I would love to see the metal react more reflectivly though.
    But its a really nice picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That tank reminds me of Metal Slug, or Akira Toriyama's vehicles. Great stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words. My work is literally all over the place in terms of subject and style. That's why I hope to hone my skills in the industry in order to achieve a more cohiesive body of work. The mechanical things are more native to me because of my Transportation/Product Design background.

I'm inspired by a ton of different things, and depending on what I'm creating, I let that inspiration show through. Feng is AWESOME at rugged looking vehicles, and I wanted to use his aesthetic in the creation of the tank. He also inspired both of the matte images out of my sketchbook.

I try to study various styles of rendering and overall execution without lingering too long on one aspect. That's also why my work is all over the place. I also live in a house with a bunch of illustrators and animators so they sway me into differnt styles as well.

I wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks again guys

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are all really good! I like them. I checked out your website and am wondering why only a few of these are on your site. I think you should put these up on your website replacing some of the less strong pieces. That is... if you are looking for a job, which I got the feeling you are. Anyway, another tip would be to remove the fruit bowls! That's like first quarter college stuff! lol Anyway, everything you posted here is sweet. I espeicially like the second one down and the cyber chick one (one up from the bottom).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha thanks griff. All those images are actually on the website... You may have passed them up. The nine thumbnails on the left can be moved over via the arrow key under them to reveal more images.

I thought I'd include the fruit boal as an example of rendering in Alias AutoStudio, using bump maps and the like, since that program is traditionally for automotive design/engineering.... Myabe I will take them down though

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, okay, now I see them. I guess I missed them. Very cool. More good stuff!

Anyway, I can tell you why I missed them. Basically I looked through your art in the same way they are ordered on the main page. When I got to industrial design I basically lost interest (I only have so much time to dig through a web page) and moved on to other things. In my opinion I think your strongest stuff is in the entertainment section. I would recommend re-ordering the list. Put things that are less important at the bottom, like the resume and bio. Put your top quality stuff up first. That way when someone comes to check it out they see it first and are wowed. First impressions count! Especially if you have potential employers looking at your site. You want to show them the best stuff right away.

One more thing. I had some trouble clicking on the links to the different sections of your site (on the main page). It almost seemed like I had to put the cursor in a specific spot to get it to go. Oh and a home button in the different galleries might be cool, so I can quickly hop back to the main page and choose a new gallery.

Hope I'm not sounding like an ass here. I'm not trying to be one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No not at all! I'm aware of the buttons problem... It seems that where my diagonal slices overlap, the link is lost on the upper part of each of the headings. I've tried to resolve this, but it seems I may have to make my headings horizontal to fix this problem. If anyone knows how to make diagonal slices/links work please let me know! I did all that in Macromedia Fireworks MX.

I also understand the concern with the layout of headings. At the moment I have them listed from shortest to longest word. I didn't really think of putting them from most to least important, hah!

So maybe I should do this:
    Entertainment Design
    Illustration
    Sketchbook
    Industrial Design
    Resume
    Bio

How does that layout sound? If I cant figure out the linking problem tonight I'll just make the headings horixontal for the time being. I can always fix it later.

Thanks again fro the input, it's very valuable to me!!!

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That layout sounds good to me. My main recommendation (and what was always recommended to me when I was trying to get a job) was to always have your best stuff first and ditch the stuff that isn't so hot (even if it is sometimes painful to do so ) I also recomend just showing off your site to lots of friends and seeing what they think, if they could navigate it good, and so on. Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reordered my headings and also fixed their orientation so that you can click anywhere on the text and it'll take you to the correct page. Please have a look and share any thoughts on the work. Thanks

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks a lot better. Much easier to read too! Nice job!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.