error w/ brushes

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

error w/ brushes

hey all, i got these brushes from idiotapathy and when i try to use them an error pops up saying there's a problem with the xml line something row something. an illegal physical brush parameters attribute. then i hit ok and it pops back up about thirty times and then goes away and i can use the brush but if i want to switch to another brush and back again i have to go through the process again. can anybody help? Thanks a lot.

[edit] i'm on a mac running painter 8 and i put the brush files in Applications/corelpainter8/brushes/painter brushes

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ahem... erhmm... I have no idea what's up either. I'm on PC but that doesn't matter because they are .xml right... yeah bummer.

Help him out please !

Thanks
    There are differences in the brush xml files for the different versions of Painter. This is because changes are made to the brush engine which then require modifications to the xml variant file format.

Check the Painter version number the file was written for by opening it in a text editor. The second line down <!-- Painter * Brush Definition --> tells you which Painter version.

Although the xml variants are basically forward compatible, my guesss is that this was a version 7 variant which you were opening in Painter 8. My understanding is that Painter 8 is attempting to modify the original xml file and create a compatible version 8 cached variant xml file.

After clicking OK to the last error message, save the variant using the same name. Hopefully, you should not have further problems.

David

Thanks
    Well, I'm painter IX (my brushes ) - How does this fit in?

Hopefully your fix will work for him! Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    Well, I'm painter IX (my brushes ) - How does this fit in?

Hopefully your fix will work for him! Thanks.
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, as I have been busy creating the tutorials. Painter 7 through 9.5 brush xml files are not backward compatible. In most cases however, the xml files can easily be edited to re-establish compatibility with earlier versions.

I have written a series of tutorials shownig how this can be done, both on the PC and Mac platforms. Here is the link.

Last edited by sandman; May 14th, 2006 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks
    hey thanks a lot!

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.