Art: Women's Breasts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Women's Breasts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Women's Breasts

Hey,

I feel kind of awkward talking about this, but does anybody have any tips for drawing women's breasts? Mine always come out very fake/awkward looking. I'd really like help drawing natural breasts, not the oversized super-round anime ones.

Thanks in advance,

-Naki

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw real ones!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, at least someone's trying. (As a woman myself I have to say I'm more than a little irked by all the giant round melon boobs I see around here.) Though I have to mention it's not just anime that's at fault here; American comics are just as bad (if not worse) with terribly misproportioned women everywhere.

Anyway! I'd say try to think of breasts as water balloons, in terms of general shape and ah, squishiness? Realize that breasts will flatten out and elongate as the body position shifts, especially when the arm(s) is/are raised above the head, or when the woman is lying down. They're also not perfectly round-- they tend to be flat, and then curve around the bottom (again, think water balloon.) Also keep in mind that not every girl is going to have a C or D or DD+ cup. Try drawing characters who might have only an A or B. Athletic types in particular tend to be much less endowed, because all that activity strips away the fat that makes breasts larger. References are probably your best bet, until you get comfortable with the way breasts move and change shape.

Hope that helps...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I've never heard the water balloon analogy before.

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, how nice it is to be young! You guys and gals just made me smile! Thank you!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I've never heard the water balloon analogy before.
    Heh, well... that's probably because I made it up on the spot. XD The one I heard was "an orange inside a sock" but that doesn't quite make sense as oranges aren't very squishy. And water balloons, when you come to think of it, really are pretty similar...

Glad it helped, anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "an orange inside a sock"
    I think that's the worst breast drawing advice I've ever heard. good lord, no wonder people can't make them boobs look natural!

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another tip that might help is the placement of the nipple in relation to the rest of the brest. The location of the nipple is where the breast begins to curve downward. It's different for each breast and as FlameRaven pointed out, this point shifts depending on body position. The top of the breast tends to be less curvacious than the bottom, due to gravity; which I might add effetcs the shape and curvature of one's breasts immensly. So, keep gravity in mind. Girls do not live in space. Also, breasts do not move independently from the rest of the body, as depicted in many Anime characters. They are firmly attached to the chest and do not like to swing about in mid-air.

It's quite refreshing when people take an interest in combining real human anatomy in art. My boobie rant is over. Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another tip is the breasts sit upon the ribcage which is like a cylinder. You want them to wrap around the contour of the body

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel Grack
    Girls do not live in space. Also, breasts do not move independently from the rest of the body, as depicted in many Anime characters. They are firmly attached to the chest and do not like to swing about in mid-air.
    Breasts don't move independantly, but if your girl is fairly well endowed and she starts running (or hell, even walking quickly) and is not wearing something supportive, her boobs are going to bounce like crazy. Gotta have support if you're going to be running amuck fighting villains or whatever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Breasts don't move independantly, but if your girl is fairly well endowed and she starts running (or hell, even walking quickly) and is not wearing something supportive, her boobs are going to bounce like crazy. Gotta have support if you're going to be running amuck fighting villains or whatever.
    this just made me think of the trampoline scene in Big Lebowski

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Hi, noob here, when drawin' boobies the best advice I always heard was think of them as "an overturned teacup" (looking at "Dynamic Figure Drawing" by Burne Hogarth). It also says "Draw two 45 degree lines outward from the center body line to the right and to the left across the chest barrel, to correctly place the nipples on the chest base." Oh screw it, I'll just scan the page.
    The text reads:
    (top left) "When both breasts are shown, especially in a three quarter view, they can never be seen simultaneously from a direct, frontal position. One breast will be seen with its centrally located nipple disc face on, while the other will be seen in a side view, with it's nipple projecting in profile."

(bottom left)" Observe the positioning of the nipple discs; check the 90 degree angle at the pit of the neck for the correct placement of the nipples."

Bottom right)" In observing the full front view of the body, note an interesting contradiction, NEITHER breast is seen frontally, both breasts in this case point AWAY from the direct line of vision in an off-angle, outward direction."
    Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to see this topic addressed.

Boobs also are affected by the clothing. Bras, corsets, tube tops: They all have different effects and each effect can be shown by the way the light hits the boob.

If the clothing is tightly pinching the breasts, then they won't appear perfectly round from a side view. If a bra is lifting and squeezing them together, then more cleavage will show.

Look at lingerie catalogs for great references. They're totally tasteful and show exactly what clothing affects.

www.victoriassecret.com
    http://www.fredericks.com/Default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1
    http://www.newport-news.com/shop/swi...p?gpcatid=2012

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please avoid Hogarth unless you want your girls to look like shemale bodybuilders.

Edit: Here's a diagram that I wasted time on only because I can't stand Hogarth: Link (Nudity)

Last edited by Bloodstone; April 17th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, your warning should read "shemale nudity". That's a whole 'nother thing.

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would have to agree. When perusing one of his volumes in a book shop, my girlfriend said "What the hell are they?" whilst pointing at hogarths "women".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admit the lower left one is a bit frightening, but I was just trying to illustrate boobie placement for accuracy and such

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think of them like a bag of sand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bag of sand LOL!!!!

--Keith
    www.lynxerror.com/~spear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this topic also those links magicgoo posted up.. Haha. I found getting your girlfriend or even convince a girl to take her top off and really get to know the boobs *hands on job then draw them.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.