Art: 11 hours!! D:

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 11 hours!! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11 hours!! D:

it took 11 hours between sketch-lineart-finished painting, but i finally got it done.
    11 hours!! D:

Her full title would be "The Samurai of the Bleeding Heart" although, as I've stated on past drawings of her, her heart bleeds for none. There is usually text on her sash thingy saying "BLOOD IS GOOD FOR THE HEART" hinting at how much she kills. She only gets her title from her icon, a bleeding heart. I always draw her in non-actiony poses as she is very relaxed and never angry.

As for the stability of the painting, I realized very lately that the there were little bits and peices that were just bad. Like the size of the sword when compared to the sheath.

The things to notice would be her bleeding heart icons and, if I had included it, the phrase on her sash(?)

I had included it originally, but one of the Graphic Design majors came and told me it looked like shit so I discarded it this time.

The lantern was included at the request of a friend that loves lanterns *______*

Last edited by SquirrelHunter17; April 3rd, 2006 at 01:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could actually push the shadows and the lighting coming off the lantern even more, itll heighten the drama of the piece. Also try not to get too bogged down with details in the beginning stages, it will help you to be more intuitive and get some interesting accidents plus it will cut down your painting time by alot. If youre so bent on getting every little thing right then youll always be spending way more time than necessary. Looking forward to see the progression of your work though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree absolutelly with nexus... it´s an interesting character though...
    is it a "love samurai"?
    i never thought of a love fighter...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you added a bit of reflected light from the left... But in a few places you didn't hardly hint at it. Also, I feel that the focal point is intended to be the lantern, but I keep getting drawn to the heart on her hat. Try using the figure to cleverly suggest focal points.. The picture seems boring because she is just standing there... There isn't any motion or really polished focal point.

I think the sheath and sword have a big part to do with it. They pull me up to the hat, as opposed to the latern.

Though it's not immediatley apparent, the black lines in your piece take away from it. When you render it so much, the black lines become useless, y'know?
    Parts like the bottom of the crotch cape(Don't know the proper name) would look nice against her leg, but there is a black line seperating them.

Good work on the background colors, I think you might enjoy working with textures.
    www.mayang.com/textures
    There are some GREAT hi-def ones here.

Keep it up, hope I wasn't too harsh =\

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For 11 hours of presumably solid work I would have expected somewhat more refinement in the shading but that's not to say it is by any means a bad picture. I am a big fan of the lantern arm, especially the pose of the hand.

Be wary of the size of the sword vs. the sheath size.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good. Now put in another eleven hours.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    You could actually push the shadows and the lighting coming off the lantern even more, itll heighten the drama of the piece. Also try not to get too bogged down with details in the beginning stages, it will help you to be more intuitive and get some interesting accidents plus it will cut down your painting time by alot. If youre so bent on getting every little thing right then youll always be spending way more time than necessary. Looking forward to see the progression of your work though.
    I wanted to strengthem the shadows more but brainwashing via my color class pushed me away. They teach realism and choke style.

I always start with generalized colors and basic lighting, high-detail is the last bit of my painting process, I'm still working my way through proper execution. the coming month should prove helpful for my advancement.

Depending on how much input I get on this, I may fix my mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeldragoon
    I see you added a bit of reflected light from the left... But in a few places you didn't hardly hint at it. Also, I feel that the focal point is intended to be the lantern, but I keep getting drawn to the heart on her hat. Try using the figure to cleverly suggest focal points.. The picture seems boring because she is just standing there... There isn't any motion or really polished focal point.

I think the sheath and sword have a big part to do with it. They pull me up to the hat, as opposed to the latern.

Though it's not immediatley apparent, the black lines in your piece take away from it. When you render it so much, the black lines become useless, y'know?
    Parts like the bottom of the crotch cape(Don't know the proper name) would look nice against her leg, but there is a black line seperating them.

Keep it up, hope I wasn't too harsh =\

I always try to create focal points, but I've not received any good instruction on how to do so. :/

I wanted the bleeding hearts to be the focuses (focusi?) The lantern was added in because I couldn't think of anything to do with that hand. @______@
    'Tis a folly thing to do but I wasn't thinking at the time.

The reflected light became a problem when at certain points I couldn't think of how it would work on certain parts. I started to think of how shiny or flat each object would be and it ruined my perception of it.

Of the black lines, I got a few friends to direct me as I was working. between the lines being all the way up or entirely gone, the votes were 50-50. So I tried to reach a happy medium. I felt it created an intersting look and decided I liked it. =)

Thank you for your critique, It wasnt nearly as harsh as you may think.
    As my Intro to Illustration instructor says "no one improves by hearing sugar coated bullshit"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfevs
    For 11 hours of presumably solid work I would have expected somewhat more refinement in the shading but that's not to say it is by any means a bad picture. I am a big fan of the lantern arm, especially the pose of the hand.

Be wary of the size of the sword vs. the sheath size.
    About half the time was making the sketch and refining it into lineart. so only about 6 hours went into painting it.

The sheath-sword relation was pointed out to me early on and I thought I had fixed it, but alas, I was wrong -___-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm I happened upon this again and had another thought. Make another layer and try out a yellow-orange over the lantern light you currently have. Generally firelight has anywhere from a yellow to orange cast light. Also it will contrast nicely with the blues in the background. Just something to try out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    Hmm I happened upon this again and had another thought. Make another layer and try out a yellow-orange over the lantern light you currently have. Generally firelight has anywhere from a yellow to orange cast light. Also it will contrast nicely with the blues in the background. Just something to try out.

next time i have the time for it

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.