C.O.W. - #040: Noseeum - VOTING!!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • dragon4lunch

2 2.04%
  • Saise

0 0%
  • cognition.sb

13 13.27%
  • Orion9282

2 2.04%
  • Trashy

0 0%
  • br0ken_spirit

0 0%
  • Lewis

0 0%
  • JakkaS

44 44.90%
  • bluefooted

23 23.47%
  • redehlert

4 4.08%
  • guggenmaneuver

2 2.04%
  • Plate

3 3.06%
  • rWDrk

5 5.10%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #040: Noseeum - VOTING!!

ROUND #040 VOTING

Topic: Noseeum

Deadline for the voting: Sunday, 09th April 2006

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64404

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    artist: dragon4lunch
    concept:
    The Noseemees are little goblin like creatures, who are completely harmless and very shy. They like to show off their courage to each other by showing how close they dare to fly up to a human! Of course, as soon as the human turns around, they'll chicken out and quickly turn invisible!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

artist: Saise
    concept:
    Scumsumlum
    Scums is the answer for the biggest question in the universe... What the hell is going with pairs of socks... how many socks you lost in your life? No one, beacause the Scums thief it, and build a nest form stealed socks in the darkest places in your house. Why you can't see them? Hm, do you see a lamp on his nose? This little thing produce something like 'Invicible Field' that cover the Scums when someone try to see them. They are harmless little creatures, but stole a lot of socks and create myths around this proceder

artist: cognition.sb
    concept:
    Noseeums are an incredibly curious species that have always co-existed with man. While their purpose is unknown, some believe the creatures are God's eyes; eternally watching over the world. It was only in the 24th Century that their presence was confirmed and consequently exploited by the Global Domain.
    The GD is a world-wide government organisation that captures and equips these creatures with surveillance masks before releasing them back into the community. By exposing these creatures to strong electromagnetic fields their natural camouflage can be temporarily subdued, allowing scientists to work with them in clear view. The sheer number of Noseeums available allows for almost all city regions to be observed with a mass visual link-up to GD facilities.
    Noseeums' commercial use ranges from hazard assessment to early crime detection.

artist: Orion9282
    concept:

artist: Trashy
    concept:
    These noseeums(also known as eye-lods) are an intelligent small group of creatures that are currently being overrun by another species that find the noseeums head to be quite a delicacy for food. The noseeums main head consists of many eyeballs that allow it to see in multiple directions. It follows in the path that it's two large eyes at the top of its head points in.
    The noseeums has built a mechanism inside their bodies to disappear so their enemy can’t spot them. This machine creates another dimension to their world they like to call the "cloud plane". They drift about in these planes of endless cloud cover until their enemy turns away from their view. They can see into their actual dimension using their two larger eyes again.
    They can't stay in these "cloud planes" for too long though, since it seems to suck their life force away, so they only turn invisible when they could possibly be spotted.
    They are currently scouting their enemy out, trying to find as much information about them as possible and communicating their findings telepathically to others. With this information they soon plan to blow their enemies to smithereens with advanced weapon technology and avenge their headless comrades.

artist: br0ken_spirit
    concept:
    Vanishing Eyedra
    It is said that the eyes are the windows to the soul. Sometimes, one can look directly into the soul of another through the eyes... and some, may possess it.
    Deep within the Marjae Sea sleep a breed of monsters, sailors avoid sailing this sea because they fear awakening them. Legend has it that by gazing into the tranquile waters, even by shore, the waters become alive and gaze back into the eyes of the viewer. The monsters awaken to rise and look into the soul of the person, and possess it for themselves. The unfateful victim is un-aware however, since they become mesmerized and gradually they begin to loose their eyesight, while they continue to watch the waters. For the briefest moment, just before they go blind, the monsters appear before them: the dreaded Eyedra, an enourmous beast composed of many tentacled eyes. The eyes of its victims that it adds and grows to its massive body, growing in proportion and in numbers with each new prey. And just as quickly as the Eyedra becomes visible, it vanishes again into nothing, stealing eyes, stealing lives... stealing souls. What is left of the victim is an eyeless, mindless but still living body, without soul. Their bodies become terribly cold, and they die a horrible, convulsioned and violent death months after.
    Legend has it that a hero will come forth to slay the Eyedra, one born without the gift of sight. The unfavoured hero will slay the Eyedrah and become champion, and latter King.
    Or so Legend has it...

artist: Lewis
    concept:
    Satans little helpers - The Noseea
    These little buggers irritate humans and mess up everything intended by humans to be built.
    However, when someone looks at them they transform into an random object, something like a toaster or whatever.
    Therefore no-one knows about the existance of these creatures sent by Satan...

artist: JakkaS
    concept:
    "PEEPER"
    Sorcerers from Kalimshtag Archipelago created these creatures especialy for spying. These small creatures are very intelligent, because their brains are very big and they can easily learn a lot of new things. They know a few languages used on the Archipelago, so they can understand almost all races living in this part of the world. At the begining they were used to spy on other mages and nobles to obtain their secrets such a magic formulas or informations that could be used to blackmail. They were bound with their creators, so they had to obey them. However, they finally discovered the way to freedom, they did be created to get other people' secrets. When they became free they started to serve for money or other valuable things [Nobody knows why, because they have never bought anything].
    Why are they so good in spying? Because they can become invisible. Their skin has many bubbles that are full of "living silver". These liquid metal bubbles can enlarge and when are big enough covers whole creature. The surface of this big silver bubble looks like a mirror that reflects the surrounding. But it's not a reflect, that is visible in a particular bubble. Image seen in front of Pepper is shown in his back, so it looks like you are able to see through his body. The deflection caused by angle of refraction can be only perceived in indirect look. This process is very quick but sometimes [rarely] when the creature is not well concentrated become almost visible, because image on the silver surface looks like image on the broken mirror. When caught out spying it uses sound waves to stun the person that noticed its present. Its hobby is to .....peep at naked girls having a bath.

artist: bluefooted
    concept:

The dust bunny is a small, harmless dustivore with a interesting camouflage and escape mechanisms. The 'feathers' are actually reflective scales that render the animal almost without contrast. The result of this is that it can only be viewed out of the corner of the eye, where the density of more contrast-sensitive rods is higher (Look it up!) If the animal is approached, however, it will flash two specialized scales (normally held flat against the back) containing high-contrast 'eyespots'. This will invariably cause a startle reflex in the target animal as the, heretofore, invisible creature is suddenly revealed. In the ensuing chaos, the dust bunny makes it's escape.

artist: redehlert
    concept:

Muscae Volitantes, aka Flying Flies or No-see-ums are clinically known as shadowy shapes that appear solo in your field of vision. Quite distracting, these creatures can be perceived, but never looked upon directly. They live within the vitreous humour, a jelly-like substance of the eye and appear on the retina as shapes as seen in this eye looking up at the sky (see inset). These creatures become more visible at the periphery of the eye, but when a host focuses his or her eyes on the creature turning this way and that, the poor creature is shifted within the eye and therefore seemingly alluding direct perception. As annoying as this may be, these creatures very much want to be seen by their host, but alas, they will only be felt as disturbances across the field of vision.
    When these aesexual creatures reproduce to get rid of that lonely feeling, they increasingly distract its host by further clouding the vision. Sometimes these creatures leave the eyes and migrate to the brain and ears chattering incessantly which is commonly coined as 'voices inside the head' and 'tinnitus', aka ringing of the ears. This can become so profound and disturbing that the host will self medicate or end their existence.

artist: guggenmaneuver
    concept:

it was only until i got a dog and witnessed him start barking and running towards something that isn't there, that i realized maybe i wasn't losing my mind. well, i probably was, but he was barking at something.
    i started seeing, or rather, catching a terrifying glimpse of these horrible, reeking apparitions when i worked the graveyard shift at a 24HR Pop-Copy back in my college town. It happened mostly at points when because of one reason or another began feeling very sleep deprived and INSANE, or hadn't EATEN properly for a day or two, staring blankly at some badly compressed jpg turned MS word document turned pdf-ing nightmare and then WRONGLY turned into a 48" x 96" oversize poster, and listening to HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE noise music blaring into my ears, soothing the loneliness AND anger. I caught a slight glimpse of one of these creatures, staring at me through a couple of panes of glass, just beyond our xeroxn4525 printer in the self serve computer area--Not a second after i had seen it, it VANISHED into a puff of SULFURY yellow haze and was gone. I thought at first that the glowing yellow eyes and the drooling mouth were some binging, CRAZED CRACKWHORE collapsing from an eXXXhausting day of panhandling and probably ready to whip out a switchblade or a rusted revolver on me for $2 ... but, when i trembling walked over, FREAKED OUT OF MY SKULL there was NOTHING there, only the smell of ROTTEN YELLOW TOENAILS, a WET DROOL SPOT on the carpet and the dimly-lit Florescent hum of DOOMED projects put off until the very, VERY last minute...
    Since then, it has become my theory that this particular creature is maybe following me??? Sometimes i feel it in the same room as me, drooling, stinking, glowing yellow more saturated and a sicker shade than incandesent tungsten bulbs would naturally produce. It's feet are designed for moving stealthily, and if it catches up to me without my noticing and sinks its horrible claws into my brain i will then be prone to doing some evil deeds; maybe ignore my drawing development or just horde crap obsessively or worse. Unfortunately it puts me in a bad place to try and get out of. maybe these things are demons; i know they are there after the sun goes down, always stalking me. I'm not sure how to get rid of them, or that i ever can.

artist: Plate
    concept:
    Aeromites
    these harmless dust-sized creatures exist in the air in practically every environment. They tend to grow large populations in dry stale areas like underground tombs, and in such areas they sometimes congregate by the hundreds of thousands into visible masses called wisps, similar to the way some types of fish form schools. If disturbed by the presence of another creature, these masses will rapidly dissipate into the air, rendering the individual aeromites practically invisible again. Early sightings of wisps were often mistaken for ghosts, and even though their shapes are amorphous, people who manage to catch a rare glimpse of one still sometimes claim to see an eerily ghost-like face in it in the split second before it disappears into thin air.

artist: rWDrk
    concept:

Last edited by Fozzybar; April 19th, 2006 at 06:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

not accepted entries:

michamachtlos

This entry was really on the edge, but i decided to reject it...the reason is that the concept is not fully matching to the given description. Your creature flashes a bright light when someone tries to look at it, but the person will see a bright light...something which is not very natural and far away from being named as invisible...in fact you would be very curious and try to look after that light...

Arkion
    Looks too human like.

Defiled
    Your creature doesn't turn invisible if someone looks at it, in fact it turns invisible when coming in touch with light.

Krogdor
    Weekly activity + artists dedication = no rushed artwork

trickynick1001
    Your creature design looks like a mix between a human, a vampire and spiderman...it's looking good, but it's too humanoid in its design for this activity...sorry!

chaosrocks
    Your concept sais that your creature lives in the infrared zone, making it not a creature which is turning invisible when your directly looking at it, more invisible all the time...

Mitze
    hmmm...what can i say...the task was to come up with a concept of a creature which turns invisible when directly looking at it while it's existing when no one looks...you wrote in your description that your creature exactly is doing this, but WHY is it doing this? And HOW?
    The point is, that most of the entries here have a reason for their creatures to turn invisible and describing how they do it, which makes conceptart to what it is...
    If we choose a topic like this, we don't expect a random creature which is declared as a being turning invisible wothout any thoughts of why and how. Also the design has no relation to anything we could imagine to understand the concept...so i will set an example with your entry for optimizing COW, the entries and your own process of creating conceptart

Beelow
    1. too rushed, 1 WEEK man...that's a lot of time for a nice entry...
    2. No why and how for this entry also...why is it turning invisible and how does it work?

close to rejection:

Lewis
    Same as michamachtlos, but the difference is how the creature turns "invisible". I just imagined, as i sat in front of my screen i had the feeling something watches me and i turn around. I assume that the creature turns into a random object which is related to the environment....like when i turn around and i see a cd case on the table i won't be surprised and go back to my work.
    But if i turn around and see a bright flash light in my room i think that's everything else than making me believe everything's normal...and lastly revealing the light source in a way, which will make the creature not invisible anymore...

Plate
    Actually your concept also wasn't about a creature which switches between visiblity and invisibility, more a creature which forms a swarm and thus been seen as a collective...but it shows that your concept has some originality and i like that

special note:

guggenmaneuver
    i am not sure if it was me or you, but one of us has serious problems with his sane...i tried to understand the concept, but m mind lost...i didn't reject it in case i am the one with mental problems

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, some may think it was asshole time, but actually it was optimizing time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have any choice. Jakkas will won it, as always last times. Great work, great concept. Second work for me is the Bluefooted work - great style, great imagination. Creature like from Japan Myths. And Third work to me is the Rwdrk work - funny creature mix.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW: Where is the #41 COW topic Fozzy :9. I am so eager to draw something this day.

-- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had to give it to JakkaS - great rendering as always, hilarious design, and the most developed concept by far in my opinion. Runners up were bluefooted, orion, and rwdrk - all great images, they just didn't tie in the invisibility aspect as clearly.

And Fozzy, thanks for taking mine to poll. I knew I was kinda fudging the topic since the wisp itself isn't a creature, and honestly I was expecting a rejection more than not because of that. Good thing originality is rewarded around here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saise
    I]BTW:[/I] Where is the #41 COW topic Fozzy :9. I am so eager to draw something this day.
    as you wish master:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64952

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Jakkas too. I love the concept. He makes me wanna provide more competition.

Live is blur...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lewis
    Same as michamachtlos, but the difference is how the creature turns "invisible". I just imagined, as i sat in front of my screen i had the feeling something watches me and i turn around. I assume that the creature turns into a random object which is related to the environment....like when i turn around and i see a cd case on the table i won't be surprised and go back to my work.
    But if i turn around and see a bright flash light in my room i think that's everything else than making me believe everything's normal...and lastly revealing the light source in a way, which will make the creature not invisible anymore...
    As much as i understand your point (and you have to be form to keep this activity in rails), i do believe invisible is a very flexible notion.
    Something can be invisible in the meaning of the obvious "I cant see it" but something can also be invisible to you in the meaning of you dont know what it is (therefore i think michamachtlos' entry should be included)

I did meant an random object related to its enviroment (should have typed it with it, stupid me) but i also wanted to use a loose notion of the meaning of invisible.
    In that way, imo, you create the effect "Hmm i swear something is in my presence"

Anyway, loved the topic and next time ill try to live to the rules as close as possible

About the voting:
    Voted for JaKKas, his entry was clearly (imo) the best
    Close second was Guggenmaneuver, i loved that face and the beginning of your explenation was very strong (later on it became a bit to crazy and uncomprehensive for me tho )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry bout that Fozz, I am currently doing cgtalk journey 2d and 3d, I will try to spend more time on my work, aight then, peace and thanx for not taking to the polls, I was unhappy with it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Rwdrk cus of it's original, clear and realistic like concept.
    Jakkas one is also realy funny, but i think not so serious. I prever that more with this one, but thats just mine opinion
    Other favorites: cognition.sb, dragon4lunch and bluefooted.
    Good luck every one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted-->rDWrk: very clear & original idea. Nicely worked out! congrats pal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bluefooted- its a good is=dea but more to the point it has a great illustrative style and beautiful line work

Jakkas- very clever, the narrative and idea are super. but basically though the creature is well drawn it's a Kiwi fruit with a face and anatomical parts.. I could be cruder but this is a public board. I've seen both drawings and ideas of yours I thought were better. don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of your work...

Redehlert- these are sweet little guys... basically embryos

guggenmaneuver- whoa.. you win the sheer weirdness vote. and creativity run wild. heh cool

anyway... what do I know?
    I can even make mine disappear in an approved fashion

with utmost respect
    CHaos Rocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for JakkaS, another awesome concept from an awesome artist!
    Do you have a website or sketchbook thread? if not, make one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for cognition.sb, as much for the story qualities as for the artwork itself (which is mesmerising).

bluefooted, I really like your style of illustration. It feels like something you might find in an old or traditional story book. Your creature's abilities are well explained and imaginative, and I love that guy's long nose and the (butterfly-like) markings on its scales.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for JakkaS, his Peeper seems to fit the bill and Bluefooted was a very close second.These are two great illustrations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must admit my dissapointment at not making the cut, however I harbour no hard feelings. There's always next week, right? Anyway, I voted for guggenmaneuver not only because I very much enjoyed the art (very unique, plus I love the little block of text), but also because of the wonderful story that goes along with it. Very good job to everyone, and best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dragon4lunch- Even in it's current state I love this piece. If you just worked on it alittle more I think you would be the clear winner here. There is so much personality imprinted in those goblin like creatures.

JakkaS- Real fun piece Jakkas! I can't say the concept strikes me as too original as for a fat round creature spying on people when their not looking. It sounds familiar to me. Now the whole transformation sequence is quite a different story. How you show this creature turning invisible is pretty brilliant. I gotta ask you...how are you actually doing those lines? Are you using the Alias sketchbook?

bluefooted- What a cool creature! I terms of originality you made something real unique. I really do like the linework. I'm still on the ropes though on if it looks better with the color or not. Maybe a different choice of color for the background might of made it stand out more. In anycase you get my vote. It looks like it would come straight out of some fairy tale or folklore.

redehlert- Great story to these little crittes. It was a fun read and I like the style in which you drew it. Not too complicated and nice to look at.

guggenmaneuver- mad style and creature! You got some neat looking effects to your piece. The head stands out to me alot with that yellow smoke...stuff...oozing out of his eye upward.

rWDrk- Nice first submission man! There are just a couple more spots that look like they needed more work done in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for bluefooted - that illustration is excellent. You mentioned you didn't have much time to render it but I think it's great as is. It looks like a really plausible, well-proportioned creature. I love the concept, although it seems slightly off the description (the flash part).

Jakkas' swish presentation lured me in as well, complete with an interesting invisibility mechanism. It's also quite comical, being the 'hairy old man' of the animal kingdom. However, I think it'd struggle to do anything (handle money/items, 'watch' bathing beauties etc.) with such small limbs. heh

redehlert - way to tie the topic in with reality! I see those little guys every now and then. Nice work

Also like the idea of a sock stealer, Saise/Orion. Got a pretty diverse range of concepts this round.

Before i even stared my pic i knew it would'nt get in. i just did'nt have the time but i wanted to do something anyway just for the mess. Ii voted for Bluefooted as it is just pleasing to look at. Other ones where jakkas of course and i liked the concept behide cognition.sb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bluefooted's piece for me. Pure eyecandy, simple as that. Of course props go to all participants, some great ideas bubbled up here. dragon4lunch's and Jakkas made me laugh a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jakkas for me, that thing is awesome! I really liked bluefooted's piece also, great creature design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it was very hard to decide between Jakkas' and Red's, but I really loved the idea of the creatures living inside the eye. So I had to vote for Red.

Good job, all! And thanks to those who voted for me and/or gave comments.

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blue! thanks for the vote (same for the other two votes!).
    it was tough for me to choose between jakkas and blue, but i did end up with jakkas. the process of how it gets to be invisible was the sealer for me.
    blue - your line work has a special place in my heart and i'm also so impressed by your process.
    other notable is guggen - that's one of the finest pieces of work i've seen from you.
    another slick thing is all the new peeps in here that gave this tough idea a go!
    and chuck,mate - i didn't get a chance to respond to your comment in the posting thread, but wanted to say thanks for the nice words. and true, i said i was going to name my first born jakkas, but the second born will be pat.
    lol! ok...gotta jet.
    peace!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every one thnx for crits & comments and those who voted me

cheersR3M

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote vent to JakkaS. I really like the way this creature dissapears and its really a great drawing.

Bluefooted- Just feel like mentioning, Love your drawing style, creature is looking great too.
    Redehlert- Cute cute cute . They are simple, but not too simple ^^
    guggenmaneuver- Intresting concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bluefooted got my vote, brotha joe. the dust bunny thing was colder than a snobby valley girl.

i'm going to vacuum my room now.

Between Action and Power, I found God.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, call it "JakkaS Creature of the week" as Foz pointed out before...
    Too good to be beaten.
    However, Bluefooted- great one!
    Cognition: really cool idea!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm this is really tough.

Outstanding entries:

dragon4lunch: the concept is great, really gives the creatures personality. Unfortunately the human doesn't feel as polished as the cretures.

Cognition: Love the concept and the style full stop.

Jakkas: urgh stop being so good!

Redehlert: possibly the cleverest idea ever. Seems a little rough around the edges but I still think it looks great.

Bluefooted: styles upon styles. The concept felt a little mundane but the illustration is awesome.

However, this time around cognition gets it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rWDrk is great idea and cool coluers nice echter frisp!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bluefooted got my vote. What an original piece, and I love the render style.

Runner up was guggenmaneuver. I dig the illustration. It's kinda weird/insane in a lovable grotesque kind of way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2