Thanks

Arrow Need Help Figuring Out This Type Of Painting

Hello everybody. I recently acquired some art work/painting that I don't know anything about. It does not have a signature or name anywhere on it that I can see. There are no markings on the back. It looks like it would be a pain to take a part to see if there are any markings on the back inside of the art work. All I know is that it is out of a Marriott hotel. I got a good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. There we're three of these but I only bought the one, and now think I should have bought all 3. I don't think the Marriott would buy cheap paintings or art work for their hotels. Anyways I will include a couple of pictures below. It looks like the painting is divided into 6 sections. Should I attempt to take it apart to see if there are any markings on the painting itself? Could this be worth a lot? Here are the links to the pictures. Any help is appreciated!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...3_162_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...3_163_full.jpg
    Last edited by NICK66; March 31st, 2006 at 11:57 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Links don't work.
    Could this be worth a lot?
    No.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Links are fixed now. Thanks.

Thanks
    Just my opinion, but a hotel would probably get the cheapest art prints available. Especially since they have to decorate thousands of rooms.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    It's called Contract Work. It's done cheap by "art" plants on a mass-production basis, usually overseas, then sold in volume to commercial interior decorators who resale it as part of their service to corporate clients at maybe a 500-1000% markup...

Wanna guess what it's worth?
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Cripes! The crappy poster frame it's in is enough of a sign that it's worthless. You don't put high quality art in a plastic or metal frame like that.

Also, the mat on it looks totally saturated--it's a dark yellow in the core, instead of white. This baby is old and most likely very faded. There's probably no UV protection on that glass. Even if it's worthless, if you enjoy it for the image, then you should definately have someone take it apart and put it in something new before you hang it up.

Thanks
    Thats cool. Thanks for your input everybody. I will take it apart and mess with it a little bit, LOL.

Thanks
    I used to appraise antiques after college.

It's hard to tell without seeing the actual paper and findout what it's made of. If you're serious about this, you can contact a reputable antique dealer to get an appraisal.

About the piece, so far I don't see any reasons why it wouldn't be legit. It's definately not a re-print, that's for sure, because of it's size. The fading of the colors look about right... but usually the screen/paper that it's been painted on should have yellowed a bit if it was genuine paper made back in the 18th century.

It's done in 6 panels, which is a-typical. Normally these are done in 5 or 7 panels (good luck #s). That might mean it's a fake, or raise the value even more because of the peculair #. There could just be a panel missing, and you only got 6 out of the 7. Don't worry, it's normal to have incomplete sets, as often times a panel is destroyed through old age or split apart family members as inheritence over the centuries. Usually these panels were on boards, but here we have only the screen mounted on a wall. That'll decrease the value considerably.

There should be a signature somewhere... usually a stamp. If you find the stamp, you can find out who painted it, what year (approximately), and what prefecture. Japanese screens made out in the country, away from old Edo, Kyoto, etc... are worth more because they made so much less of them. It's hard to tell if it's Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. I've been looking at those screens for years and still can't tell the difference the 3 country styles. Sometimes, Korean artists mimicked the Chinese, especially in the Late 19th/Early 20th Century. Korean is the most difficult to find, while Chinese are more common. Naturally, if it's Korean it'll be worth more.

It might be worth looking into. A piece this large, however, the appraiser will have to come to your estate, take photos, and remove it from the frame. An appraisal should run you about $100 bucks if there's a signature. It'll cost more if there isn't a signature, because it'll require more research to find it's origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    Also, the mat on it looks totally saturated--it's a dark yellow in the core, instead of white. This baby is old and most likely very faded. .
    Mirana, those are precise reasons why it could possibly be worth something. But as the others have said, I highly doubt it's the real deal. People don't sell off antiques at low prices. An geniune antique panel set of that size would cost a couple thousand.
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; April 3rd, 2006 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    ParkerD, well, I got curious and took it apart. To make a long story short, this is just a reprint on a thin printed out piece of cardboard. No signatures or anything, anywhere. Not even a stamp about where it was made. All I can say is there we're 3 of these at a local Goodwill store so I picked one up, they we're only priced $10 a piece. I mostly go there once a week to check for sports jerseys, which I've gotten MANY authentic jerseys college and pro sports, for a whopping $4 a piece. I keep most of them and sell one or two to make my money back plus profit.

At least I got a real nice glass frame for something else if I like. I would like to thank everone for being cool! Peace out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    Mirana, those are precise reasons why it could possibly be worth something.
    I was commenting on the saturation to place the age of the framejob somewhere in the neighborhood of 70s or 80s. Otherwise, judging mat saturation will not give you any idea of how old a piece truly is. For that, I based my reasoning on the fact that only expensive hotels would put out the bucks for original artwork (for very few rooms) and they would never put it in that kind of frame. That's the cheapest type of frame one could possibly use.

/end framer nerdiness.

It was nice to read about what original art of this type would look like and be worth, though. I need a job like that one. I can imagine you learned loads.