E.O.W Round 19: Cradle of Life - THE BIG VOTE!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for the bestest cradle of life!

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • LoHan

1 1.69%
  • Tyranx

39 66.10%
  • JakkaS

3 5.08%
  • artiphats

5 8.47%
  • bumskee

10 16.95%
  • chaosrocks

1 1.69%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 19: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC: Cradle of Life

Deadline For Voting: Monday 7th April

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

posting thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------

LoHan
    I picture it as a sacred place in some small world where the Gods first created Man (in a fantasy/mythological setting).

Tyranx
    Cradle of Life

On the desolate planet of Chor, there exists a grand temple, a place of magnificence and wonder, which draws thousands of pilgrims from all corners of the galaxy to its majestic halls.
    It is said to have been constructed by a long extinct alien race, who left behind an entirely self sufficient building, which produces life giving air and water.

Scientists have discovered that the building is entirely self powered, although the source of this power is at the present time unknown, but one thing is certain, the longetivity of this power source cannot be underestimated.
    Even 20,000 years after its construction, its power has not diminished, scholars are quick to point out that if ever this power were to vanish, life as we know it would cease to be.

JakkaS

artiphats
    The world couldn't sustain the fallout in the aftermath of a 4th world war. Mankind, never reaching its technology cap, has all but destroyed itself. Only the small percentage of people who were able to get deep underground survived, and only in the last decade have any of them started to surface again, with hopes to rebuild. In the middle of what was once a warzone, and before that a crouded city, are the remains of a nursery. Sun rays piercing dark clouds shine on a flower that somehow has managed to grow. To those who see it, it represents the beginning of a new world. It has been decided that this is the spot civilization will rebuild from.

bumskee
    Y3k, new virus has spread after endless nuclear wars between countries, known to disfunction human reproductive system. The virus spread quickly, countries started introducing AIS (Artificial Insemination Scheme), implementing facilities through out the cities.

chaosrocks
    Bored with the violent creations of the other Gods, Volcanos, tempests, mountains leaping from the earth, Gaia sought solitude and a quiet Valley to create something a little more intricate, smaller but more complicated.....

Last edited by Red_Rook; April 1st, 2006 at 06:57 AM.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for Artiphats .
    Would have voted for Tyranx as the prettiest picture...but dont see any "cradle of Life " in it.

with great respect
    Chaos rocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow we didnt end up with many entries this time. and I thought it was such a cool topic.

Lohan, interesting style you have. I like the colors, I think if you strengthened your linework, the piece would be a lot better. Yup, same colors and same scene, tighter lines and I think it would be great. Close second.

Tyranx, your piece is great. Unfortunately, there is nothing about it that relates to the topic. With no description, I just see a nicely rendered sci-fi painting.

Jakkas, you're crazy. What a great and hilarious idea! I would have never thought of that, you kill me man. I don't remember if you said it, but I get the feeling you never really meant for it to be a contender. My apologies if I am wrong.

Bumskee that is a great rendering as well. Even with the description though, not really getting the topic from it. I think with that description a render of the interior would have been more appropriate. Just my opinion.

Chaosrocks, I like how the scene now incorporates Gaia. It looks better than it originally did. I have scene some of your other watercolor paintings, and I think you have great colors in your pieces. I also think you would benefit by tightening up the drawing before getting to the color. Still, you get my vote this round for creatively depicting the topic. Gaia won me over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for bumskee. I liked the interpretation of the brief, it's different and unexpected.

Runner up was ChaosRocks... you hit on what I thought "Cradle of Life" was; more-so than others.

Tyranx.... amazing again. But I agree with Artiphats about the concept. I'll still be studying your painting for hours though.

Great work all, really different things this time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artiphats
    Jakkas, you're crazy. What a great and hilarious idea! I would have never thought of that, you kill me man. I don't remember if you said it, but I get the feeling you never really meant for it to be a contender. My apologies if I am wrong.
    Thx m8. No, You are right. This was just a joke and different point of view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops I forgot a description, silly me.
    here goes: (I'm not much of a writer, so bear with me)

Cradle of Life

On the desolate planet of Chor, there exists a grand temple, a place of magnificence and wonder, which draws thousands of pilgrims from all corners of the galaxy to its majestic halls.
    It is said to have been constructed by a long extinct alien race, who left behind an entirely self sufficient building, which produces life giving air and water.

Scientists have discovered that the building is entirely self powered, although the source of this power is at the present time unknown, but one thing is certain, the longetivity of this power source cannot be underestimated.
    Even 20,000 years after its construction, its power has not diminished, scholars are quick to point out that if ever this power were to vanish, life as we know it would cease to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyranx and Bumskee - both entries are well done - atmosphere, rendering and lights. Couldn’t vote for both of them so finally voted for Tyranx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artiphats--Thanks you made my day.

I too was dissappointed, I was hoping for more entries as I thought this was a great and open ended topic allowing for lots of interpretation

C.rocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great!

Last edited by Carafaele; August 29th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oooh... they're soo good. my personal favorites were bumskee's and Tyranx's... such lovely enviros and they suck you in - also they look like they'd be concepts for a movie!! so awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mad props to Tyranx for the incredible illo. How the hell did you do that?!?!

Between Action and Power, I found God.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Orion Thanks I just noticed. I appreciate the notice.....I get it almost right sometimes
    thx
    C.rocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by theshunzun
    Mad props to Tyranx for the incredible illo. How the hell did you do that?!?!

there ya go

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tyranx: ooo - omg that's so awesome! i kinda like it unflipped... the original way you painted it. the final version just makes my brain kinda hurt, but when i look at it before it was flipped my mind doesnt hurt. haha sorry - my strange brain. still love the enviro... so awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey I got some votes! Thanks to the people who thought my piece was good enough to vote for, granted there were not too many entries, but this is the first time I have gotten votes in an activity - and more than just a couple at that! Just the thing I need to keep pushing myself harder.

By the way Tyranx, great step by step! Thanks for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My god.

Tyranx, thanks for posting the step-by-step! I thought I'd be able to look at your construction and figure out some techniques of yours, but alas, I'm still as dumbfounded as I was before. Amazing, man. I'll be studying that for a while. =)

BTW, how long does this stuff take you? And what program? At that level, a painting like that would take me 40+ hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that painting took me about 6 hours or so, I use textures overlayed and in perspective to help save time, if I had to hand paint it all it would take way too long!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tyranx made a great painting, ecellent!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I guess I did what most ppl have done so far and voted for tyranx's...

It struck me as being an awesome rendering and a very sexy interpretation of the brief both at once.

Would just like to point out others I enjoyed as well:

Artiphats - very, very cool interpretation. Had yours been in colour, with the same lighting, I would have had a hard time choosing.

Bumskee - such excellent economy in what you show and what I just know is there, even if I can't see it. I don't think this suffers from being grayscale at all.
    But I guess I was expecting an obvious interpretation of "Cradle of Life" and I had to read the description to see the connection.

Everyone else - you all made this activity a very good one overalll, and I will probably hesitate before I dare to post anything among you guys

ohjay's sketchbook

So here we are but no cigar
    idiots and electric guitars
    You're hiding, keep riding
    from acid to zen and back again

Members who have read this thread: 1