Latest Work
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Latest Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Latest Work

Hi everyone. Here is some of my latest pieces for my portfolio. I hope you like them.

Last edited by Infinitum; April 1st, 2006 at 06:00 AM.
    Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can I ask who moved this and why? I can not learn anything unless you tell me why.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone?

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, I can't tell you why it was moved (not a mod...) But I do like your work. I think you could take these a bit further though. Thebig tough guy (with the axe/polearm thing) is my favorite. Perspective may be tiny bit off. Good detail, good shading work. The lighting/shading may be a slight issue as well.

For example: the light seems to be coming from the left side. correct me if I am wrong, a medium highlight on the front legs left side, and shadowed on the right, but, on the back leg which is at an angle more away from the light, it gets a bigger reflection. I think if the shading were swapped it would have a better effect.

I think overall he has a few too many uniform highlights, and not enough distinction of shadows and where the light source ends/is coming from. The knight (3rd one) shows this lighting better. This is what I have for now. Keep it up though. I hope this helps some...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kmblackbear06. Thanks for commenting, I'm trying to work out why this was moved. I see what you mean about the first one. He does have some lighting issues. When I get the chance I will try and correct them and push the others a bit as well.

Thanks for commenting.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some very good stuff... I did notice that all of your full body pics (minus the last one) are floating off of the ground plane...
    As for the last one, you need to use contrasting values between the point of interest (I'm assuming the angel) and the bg. Right now it all uniform and you're relying on the outline to show the viewer what's going on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on some of them but the last one seems that your outline technique is a bit off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Glikster. I think I see what you mean. Would the best way to correct that be to add some darker shadows near the feet and also to make the shadows more accurate in that area?

As for the last one, that is a good point. I think it would help to add some dark clouds lit by a moon on their edges. I think that would create more difference.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitum
    Hi Glikster. I think I see what you mean. Would the best way to correct that be to add some darker shadows near the feet and also to make the shadows more accurate in that area?
    That and make sure that the feet are drawn in the correct perspective. The first is the best out of three regarding that.
    I know how hard it is to get feet to look right, I've been working on that recently... If you're going to show the full body, there is going to be some serious foreshortening in the feet. You want the heel to be on the same plane as the toes. Give it a sense of being planted on the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Krystallwolvelt - Could you explain a bit more about what you mean. Do you mean the same as Glikster or are you talking about my inking?

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by glikster
    That and make sure that the feet are drawn in the correct perspective. The first is the best out of three regarding that.
    I know how hard it is to get feet to look right, I've been working on that recently... If you're going to show the full body, there is going to be some serious foreshortening in the feet. You want the heel to be on the same plane as the toes. Give it a sense of being planted on the ground.
    Yes I see what you mean. I have always had difficulty getting the feet to look right. I think maybe I should go and do some more feet studies to try and help with that in the future.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would still really apprieciate the mod that moved this explaining why please.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually the one who moved and I forgot to reply to it on my rounds yesterday. Sorry about that. I think the biggest issue holding these back, on a technical aspect is the anatomy. Disproportionate Limb lengths, the small size of the feet and lack of modeling of the muscles on the limbs, joints in particular (on the figures not wearing armor). The faces as well look a little stiff and wonky. The space between the nose and upper lip seams a little large on both and there's an asymetry as far as the placement of the eyes are concerned.

I can however, appreciate your attention to lighting schemes, especially on the second one down. However it needs to be pushed further. Don't be afraid to bump up the contrast in your backgrounds and really let your shadows to model your forms instead of just relying on line. Never stop exploring what shadow and highlight can actually do.

Really, though, work on that anatomy. Do some quick gesture drawings and when you work on the human form, concern yourself less with the surface and contours and more on the mass and geometry. Just keep pushing and things will tighten up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Exo. I just wanted to understand why it was moved so thanks for telling me. I think I see what you mean about the anatomy. That is something I have been working on for a while but it takes so long to fully learn.

I will go do as you suggest and do some gesture drawings and work on the anatomy some more. That was good advice about not relying on line. I will try and work on the forms and geometry more.

Thank again for explaining why you moved it.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.