Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question - Best way to draw fantasy/sci fic things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question - Best way to draw fantasy/sci fic things

Hi everyone.

Here is a noob question:

Per example, if I want to draw a "fantasy-kind-of-bird" from imagination, the best way to draw it, is previously draw alot and alot of real birds from reference right?
    Or if i want to draw a fantasy/sci-fic armor, the best way is to previously study and draw alot of real armours, like from roman military forces, marines, etc...
    I am just not shure if i should try to draw them directly from head, or if i should first study them from real life, so that later i can draw them the way i want.

I hope you understood my question
    Sorry for my english, is not very good.

THanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing from reference allows you to draw 'armor-like things' that look like armor-like things. Otherwise it's going to look like a mess around figures.

Same with drawing creatures of any kind; if you can't draw something that looks like a cow (which actually exists), you can't draw a horse, or a dragon that looks realistic.

To start with, draw from live reference if you can, otherwise from pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to draw something from imagination, you need two things. One is a solid understanding of what it is you're going to draw/design. Now, I don't mean that you have to have all details of the creature/armour/top hat/whatever clear in your mind beforehand - some people work that way, others don't - but _yes_ you need to at least know enough about bird anatomy to make it recognisable as a bird. The more you know, the better.

The second is the skill/knowledge of how to 'construct' this on paper. Some perspective is helpful, foreshortening, all the things we all strive to perfect.

Personally, there was a time when I drew lots from observation. Life and images. And I thought I knew perspective. But starting my uni course made me realise I had _no_ knowledge of how to actually construct the things I imagined, to make them appear correctly.

I would suggest getting reference, draw from reference, draw the same thing from several angles without reference. Now (actually, after quite some time ) you should be able to draw your own design.

- my 2 cents, hope they help!
    -----------
    Favourite quote of the day, slightly out of context:
    you can't draw something that looks like a cow -nebulous

ohjay's sketchbook

So here we are but no cigar
    idiots and electric guitars
    You're hiding, keep riding
    from acid to zen and back again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much you both for your advices
    Very appreciated!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.