Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New Artists Seeking Help Come Here!

Thanks

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here!

Links to some other useful threads that will help in everyones learning

The Peer Project
    A great thread created by Idiot Apathy focusing on colour theory, lighting, form and more.

Digital Painting in Photoshop
    Bumskee's thread about some great basics and not so basics on painting digitally.
    Don't worry it's pertinent to photoshop and painter, and the rest really.

Ok, I have created this thread because some new members have expressed an interest in having a thread where they could help each other and be helped in their art. The whole of CA is great for this but I thought a specific thread that they could come to for more direct help might be useful.

I will try my best to organize the thread and I will post a new topic each week to try and help people to improve.

I know I also have a long way to go in my learning so I will try as far as possible to join in with the topics so that I can learn as well.

Any pros or more advanced artists would be very welcome here as your experience would be very helpful to us.

So welcome all new artists or anyone else who wants to join.

Let the learning commence!
    Last edited by Infinitum; April 6th, 2006 at 05:10 AM.
    Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Just dropping in to say I think this is a great idea! I'll try to participate whenever I get a chance.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Great idea.

I am in, just tell me what the topic for this week, day, month (or whatever) is and I will get started. I will try to keep up as much as possible, but I am studying a lot so that takes much time.

Any ways, I'm in...

By the way, will this be a "class" where we learn to draw with pencil or using computer programs?

Thanks
    Great Infinitum, I'm subscribed to this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Karder
    By the way, will this be a "class" where we learn to draw with pencil or using computer programs?

Haha I don't know.. I hope with pencil because that's a part really need to practice!

Thanks
    Welcome everyone.

I will try and set times for the topics that gives people room to fit it around anything else they are doing. There is no point trying to create short strict deadlines that knowone can keep to.

I was intending to start with pencil and the basics. This is an area often rushed through to get to the creating characters etc. I have done that myself before.
    So I think to start at the beginning would be a good idea.

I thought we could move onto computer work over time.

I'm open to any suggestions though.

So, enough talk lets start on the first topic.

Topic 1

I think it best to start simple. I have been given the impression that you are all new to drawing so if i'm telling you things you already know just say and i'll change it.

So for this weeks topic I want:

- A page with a cube, cylinder, sphere and cone on it. Picture them as if they are all one the same surface. Then set a light source, say coming from the top right corner. Then focus on the shade and value of thes objects. Including shadows both on themselves and the other objects.

We will begin with that and if everyone finishes early I can add the next thing.

Have fun with it everyone.
    Last edited by Infinitum; April 6th, 2006 at 05:15 AM.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    hello! so here s mine, a really sketchy so I might work on it more or just do another one.

Thanks
    kais - I suggest you use an imaginary sun as your lightsource instead of an imaginary spotlight. Rendering planes becomes alot easier that way. The difference would be that the rays of light coming from a sun type lightsource are parallel and does not diverge the way a spotlight does (the rays in your drawing are divergent like if it was a spotlight). This is better because you don't have to worry about shading gradients on plane surfaces (like you have on the top and side of your cube). In the case of parallel light rays the only time you have to render some type of gradient on a plane surface is when there is reflected light involved. I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't put gradients across plane surfaces, because plane surfaces in nature rarely looks like that. Also I think you should create more distinct value differences between the different planes. Value is what creates form and right now your cube seems really flat because all the planes are almost the same value (except for the gradients). When rendering a cube or other shape consisting of plane surfaces you should try to achieve what Scott Robertson calls a "1, 2, 3, READ". That is, a clear distinction between three planes that will give form. Scott has some pretty simple rules for how to achieve this. If you have a value scale from 0 to 10 (where 0 is white and 10 is black) you start with assigning a value to your light plane, in this case let's say 4. Then for your shadow plane you go "half way to black" meaning the value that lies between your lightest value and black, in this case it's 7 (10-4 = 6 | 6/2 = 3 | 4+3 = 7). Then for your mid value you chose something in between 4 and 7, in this case a 5 or 6. Your cast shadow could be the same value as your shadow side or slightly darker. If your object was pure white the different values would be 0, 2 & 5. If it was pure black it would be 10, 10 & 10 (the darker an object is, the less contrast between planes). I'm not gonna crit your curved surfaces cause I don't know how to render those myself yet .

Infinitum - I think this is a real good initiative. I'm gonna be stopping by as often as I get a chance, and if these excercises go a little more advanced I'll probably hop in and join the fun

For more info on how to render simple matte geoshapes like these and how to calculate the value relations between the planes and how cast shadows fall on the ground I recommend this DVD and it's follow-ups. It's from Gnomon and the instructor is named Scott Robertson. Real good stuff.
    -hal

Thanks
    Welcome Kais. I'm pleased to see a response so soon.

Your basic forms and perpective are quite good. Though the cylinder is a bit out. The view of the end in yours is almost round but it should be more of an oval at that angle.

Your shading also isn't bad. But try to keep your lines smoother and a little less sketchy.

The main thing that could be improved on here I think is the cast shadows. They should be darker and the angle is slightly out. I can see why you have done them at the angle you have but if you imagine the objects in a 3d world your light source is more from the side as well. That would make the shadows project almost totally side on at this angle.

I hope I have explained this clearly enough. If I havent just ask and I will try again.

Also once a few more people have posted I will do a drawing to better illustrate the above points.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Thanks for your advice thier Boogieman. Those are good comments.

I'm glad you like the idea of this. Your welcome to join in whenever you are ready. Though if you say you struggle with curved survaces maybe you should give this ago anyway.

Thanks for posting.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    After your post I decided to do this anyway. Learned a bit actually, think I converted some theoretical knowledge into practical know-how, which is good Not very happy with the curved objects tho (as expected), and I could've done the rendering alot cleaner, but whatever. It is what it is, any crits appreciated.
    -hal

Thanks
    Hello. I havent posted here in a long time but ive stopped by from time to time. i spent the past couple of months working on improving my line drawings but now that im trying to get more into rendering i realize that i need more practice in it. so heres a quick one of mine before work. i think ill try another one when i have more time.

great thread by the way.
    "I do what I do because I dont know how to do anything else" Kevin Smith

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Boogieman: I liked ur sketchtechnique, but u should remember to really look at it when u r done. Let it take a few minutes and do something else, and then look at it. The shadow of the circle does not make sense and also if u look at the side on the cube that is furthes away from the light has too large difference in darkness.

Master Krepta: You should try to fade out the transfer from light to dark a little better. Maybe put some motre time into it.

Thanks
    I found your thread today, and I´d like to join in. Bought new pencils and a new rubber today, ached to try them out, so why not on basic shapes?

The light source is supposed to come from above, like sunlight or so.

I really like boogeyman´s drawing, it´s so fluid...

Master Krepta: Is your quadre supposed to be flying? 8)

Well Im glad to see that not everyone is a master of arts around here. Let´s keep this thread up and filled with cool exercises

Tiava

edit: just found out that I accidentally rubbered out a piece of the cylindar. It was there, I swere it ^^
    There is a day when all departs
    I´m coming out of age,
    all your chains and all your wards
    someday will be unmade.

Be prepared of me these days
    as all of you shall be
    when all my false and rodent faiths
    break ´way just as do we.

-Tiava-

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12