Art: Mecha Mobile Armor design
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mecha Mobile Armor design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mecha Mobile Armor design

A mobile suit design that I did last year.

It's an air-deployable, sniper variant. It's based on a light, stealth frame, which makes it perfect for urban missions involving rapid deployment, and long range attack strategies.

Hope you like

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to Conceptart!
    Looking tight. Would be cool to see a whole serie of these.
    Nice design on the feet.
    Show us more of your stuff.

Hugs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh wow we defenately like it I wish I could draw like this but I suck forever

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i agree with Pencilator, really tight design!!

Great work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, i really admire someone who can draw machines that well. You rock man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My dick exploded.
    I'm really digging the head and 'torso' area as well as the legs. Feet like these have been done before but imo this is the coolest and most practical type of feet for a machine like this.
    Build me a full size working model?

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool design.. but I'm gonna be nitpicky...
    what do you mean by armor/suit? Is it supposed to be worn by the user? If so, I'm not seeing how that's physically possible. If it's more of a mech type thing, I'm not sure why the hands are so small...

Otherwise, very tight and cool and I love how clearly you rendered the interlocking parts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks really nice, tho i think the arms and especially hands are way too small. the guy doesn't seem to be able to hold that gun two-handed with those short arms and protruding chest.

other than that i really love the image. very nice work on details and cool rendering.

ender coşkun
    my old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks everyone . Really appriciated.

Pencilator - I actually meant to do a whole modular series to this, just never had the time to. I always seem to gravitate to the character art side anyway. But nevertheless, I will do my best to get back to working on more mecha in the future. Glad you like the foot design. It actually serves a purpose. These frames are air-droppable, and the leg length plus foot design are meant to cushion the landing and provide overall stability to a lanky body.

Egets - Thanks! Don't ever give up if you're serious. Practice is key. Heck, I'm still learning too

CaptainImpressive - Ouch! I really didn't wanna do that! Hehehe. Speaking of building it, I may do a 3D mock up of a series of designs in the future.

glikster / ender - Mobile suit/armor is just a fancy term for a robot thats piloted by a human (mobile armor = a vehicle in humanoid form). The pilot would be localized within the bottom section of the torso area.

The short arms to long legs ratio? Well, first off I was thinking of asthetics. I wanted something very lanky. So long legs (kinda a flamingo feel if you will?). The length of the legs actually does have a purpose - As I mentioned above, these frames are air droppable. The leg and food design, actually helps cushion the initial ground contact. This leg design also provides for quick mobility within an urban warfare environment (larger step ratio, and ability to step over rubble).

The short arms are actually more powerful than they look. See those cylinders mounted on the back of each shoulder. These serve as both, lift-gyro boosters, and shock supressors which are vital to targeting accuracy, and quick recovery thereafter. I kept the arms short, as I didnt want them to get in the way of overall mobility. These guys are snipers, so they gotta keep moving.

Fianlly, the big gun. If you look towards the tip (by those handels), you will find a deployable, bi-pod. These will always be extended upon rifle usage, so the arms arent doing all the work on their own.

... I'm such a geek....

Once again, thanks everyone! Thanks for the interest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually it's important to have all that stuff figured out.

Though I think a sniper rifled designed to fir the chest protrusion or something would be extra nifty, it's still pretty radical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see more cool folks onboard!
    No crits for mecha (it's hard to crit these things), I only wounder how it's transported with such a huge rifle? In Appleseed, for example, those suits and weapons were quite compact.
    Also how much time have you spend on design?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    always wondered how the hell people manage to create those magnificent mecha beasts.
    people like you.

brilliantly done.
    welcome aboard mate.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off let me say it's awsome, the feet I like a lot.
    and I like the coloring too.

the design I do find a bit wierd, I understand you've thought a lot about how it all works. the hands do seem a bit small for such a huge gun, with a huge handle. and how would he shoot. would he lie down like a sniper - wouldn't that large chest extention get in the way?

how does he aim, is there a sniper scope?
    how does he line it up with his head, the arms seem to short and there appears to be no way to line it up with such a long back end on the gun?
    and if he doesn't need to line it up with his head why does he have a head?
    one more nit pick, it appears as if his waist wouldn't be able to twist nicely.

by the way I'm only nitpicking because I think it's really cool, if I thought it sucked I wouldn't bother saying anything at all.
    keep em coming
    chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work, always a pleasure looking at well-drawn mecha.

Nice website, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

'Angel Wings'

Thanks again guys!

-leo - I was thinking that large sized, stealth, dropships would be used to strategically drop them off.

Each drop ship would probably only fit 1 or 2, so an assault would involve more than one craft.

The time spent on the design. I don't quite remember, because I did this one a while back, but I believe that it was somewhere within a week or so - on and off - getting the design figured out and then colored. Something like that. Prior to that though, I did a bunch of sketching and such to get a feel for the shape language.

I'm glad to be onboard!

Chuck,mate. - thanks for the welcome!

onionface - Hehehe, I guess I just really wanted to give him a huge gun, thats all. I was thinking that when its fired, the gun would usually be propped up against another object in the field, or the mecha itself may fold in a way that its almost in a lay down position. The torso would have a lift device that would allow it to tilt back comfortably. This device would be housed at the waist, also allowing for better twist. The legs would have quite a bit of folding capability themselves (guess crossection designs are

something that I should consider in the future).

The sniper gun wouldn't have a scope. The entire navigation, and advanced, targeting sensory array would be housed within the actual head, and the fins on its back. Hence, exact lineup of sights to vision is not necessary.

Glad you asked, and no hard feelings at all. Makes me think of maybe including more diagrams the next time around. Just need the time to do em up that's all.

cognition.sb - glad you like the site!

Below, is an addon for this particular mecha, that I sketched up a while ago as well. It was supposed to be more grand, but something came up and I stopped at this. They're called 'Angel Wings', and snap on to the back of the mecha. The main use for this unit, are blitz engagement strategies. The drop ship, not being able to get too close to a hostile region, can drop off a mecha, equipped with 'angel wings'. At that point, the combo becomes a high speed, low-flying jet, giving the pilot of the mecha quick access to the
    desired, strategic engagemnt point. Upon arrival, the pilot may choose to eject the 'Angel Wings' unit, as it may very well hamper the mecha's the overall ground mobility. Another effective usage of the 'Angel Wings' unit are strategic, high atmospheric or stratoshperic drops, where the mecha may be dropped from extremely high altitudes. These may even include drops from military sattelites/space stations.

Anyway, it's not much, but I though that I'd post it anyway, since you guys seem to be interested in this sort of stuff.

-later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice design - I think the arms are too short too though. Kinda makes them look vestigial, like they're not actually used for anything, in which case, why use the estra metal to build them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay, what up Yoyo? Welcome to conceptart. It crimsoneye from the BBS from your website. Cool design, and hopeful post more your work up her.

Last edited by crimsoneye; March 30th, 2006 at 06:29 PM.

Back to the Basics

[http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...hp?t=158168]In My Head[/url]

"Good for you, son. If there's one thing this world needs, it's more lawyers. Could you imagine a world without lawyers?," Lionel Hutz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet stuff from you as usual, YOYO. I've seen your work before... don't know where from tho. CGtalk? Beautiful stuff. I always think you work in Painter, but it's Photoshop, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nonie - hehe... I guess arms add an extra coolness factor. What's a mecha without arms anyway? Besides, that way you can mod the machine to a different variant. For example, an assault variant. Anyway, personal taste I guess

crimsoneye - Heya! Yup, yup, this place is great, I'll definitely post more.

CENOBITE - Hey, thanks! Yah, I believe that I saw you on CGtalk. And yes, this is Photoshop. I work in both actually. Whatever works better for the particular application I guess, or whatever I feel like at the time. I've actually been doing alot more Photoshop work lately, more than usual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic

I live in Moscow right now I travel around the world as the son of a Diplomat
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two words.. armored core o and two more, gundam wing...

obviously "huge" influences

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow ryan, good eye... you must be proud of catching that one. I almost didn't notice till I read your post.

yoyo- the individual pieces are really well designed but I don't like the overall silhouette

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what can I say, some people arent as observant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Ryan the DJ' - I dont want an argument to blow up on this thread, so please don't be rude. Clearly, I mentioned above that I enjoy Armored Core. I also believe that your exposure to mecha is very limited. I would say that my huge influence on this design isn't a specific series, it's Japanese mecha in general. Have you ever heard of Tekki/Steel Battalion. Or perhaps, Patlabor, or Evangelion, .There is alot more out there than Gundam, which I'm not particularly fond of anyway. Anyway, just making my point clear.

Everyone else, thanks again for the crits and comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good, VERY STRONG "Armored Core" influences...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wasnt trying to be rude...just stating what i observed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoyo!

Very, very awesome. You did a great job, I love the colors.

Post more please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, very nice piece great design and layout to it, definitely well done. what made me like this even more was the fact that you had reasons for everything it seems, which is the best way to go about designing something imo. seriously great job, I'm definitely interested in seeing more of whatcha got

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey thank you, thank you! More coming soon definitely!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.