Art: Self-Portrait + detailled tutorial - HUGE DL!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Self-Portrait + detailled tutorial - HUGE DL!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self-Portrait + detailled tutorial - HUGE DL!!

Sorry for the low jpeg compression of the tutorial, but the file had to be smaller than 1024kb.

I probably forgot tons of typos and stuff. Nevermind.

And the tutorial :

Last edited by StormrageJunior; April 4th, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, but the hair looks a bit too "uber-detailed" compared to the face of the character for me, and takes attention away from the face. Good tut anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for sharing your process, but i dont really think you are qualified to be giving a tutorial on portraiture. i like how you started out with the basic shapes and warm flesh tones, the cool temperature background compliments them nicely. you lost this affect when you started adding too many cool colors in the flesh tone. i think you went way too crazy on the hair detail and texture. it looks like a portrait of a hair do and not of a person. the wall texture in the background doesn't allow for any depth, it is appearing closer to us than the face. whats the point of doing a self portrait if your not going to consult a mirror or at least a photo?

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43720

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is decent but there are some problems with this. You need to make sure you have your facial features in alignment for one. Both the eyes and nostrils are offset, they dont match up. The lower lip is set more to the right side than it needs to be. The neck is tiny, necks attach near the ears not at the jawline. There is no way that every strand of the hair would stand out like that, tone some of those down a little. Hair strands are only evident where light is hitting them. The eye reflections are duplicates, that happens very rarely if ever, vary it at least a little. Also although your way of going about the portrait is workable you may have better success starting off in greyscale and adding in color afterwards, a simple thing to do with Photoshop. Id say take a photo reference and change it to greyscale then work from that. Then set a layer above it to Color or Overlay. Obviously you wont be able to do it with one color as people generally have more red tones in their noses, cheeks, and ears (vascular areas of course). Now all that being said I will concede that the eyes are beautiful despite the duplicate light reflections. They almost appear moist, excellent work in that respect. Your coming along well with your portraiture but keep practicing and draw what you see not what you think you know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Along with what's been already stated, I feel the glasses and moustache are important. Because it "looks better" is a strange reason. Who's to say it looks better?

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with the others, NEVER ignore ref!!! its vital - and you arent cheating if you use it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    This is decent but there are some problems with this. You need to make sure you have your facial features in alignment for one. Both the eyes and nostrils are offset, they dont match up. The lower lip is set more to the right side than it needs to be....
    While I second most of the comments here, let's remember that a face that is TOO symmetrical looks absolutely fake. While StormrageJunior's portrait might be a tad too asymmetrical, going for a mirror image of the sides of the face is just as 'incorrect'. Plenty of people have slightly offset nostrils, eye placement (Shannon Doherty, anyone?!), and especially lips. Go look at Angelina Jolie's lips for some real funk - her lips are hardly 'perfect' in that sense (while they're perfect in so many other ways. )

Also, I admire the effort to teach. This was a lot of work. Yes, it's a trifle 'primitive' in the academic sense, but kudos to SRJ for putting forth the effort. There's a lot to like about it.

Members who have read this thread: 1