teach me how to hatch!!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

teach me how to hatch!!!

ok...i have seen a few of my classmates do this hatching on their figures that looks hot, and im talking about with a pencil. I go to do it, and it looks like poo. Please please PLEASE help me, i can hatch ID stuff but i need to learn how to do this kinda of stuff. teach me! here is an example of one i just did cuz i need to show u just how bad it is. by the way, i understand how to shade with a pencil, and all that jazz but hatching @#)*$#.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    killing.people posted this guide in his sketchbook, showing how he hatches:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...1&postcount=53
    It could probably help you out.

You could also find an artist who does the kind of hatching you like and do a "study" of one of their pieces.
    This way you can figure out how they did things by trying to replicate what they did.

Hope this helps,
    emily

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetteker
    Please please PLEASE help me, i can hatch ID stuff but i need to learn how to do this kinda of stuff
    I assume ID=industrial design? Approach it the same way. Treat the figure as an assemblage of geometric forms, the way you would a bus or a pencil sharpener.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank u for the link and advice. It really helped me actually. My main problem was I was going to fast and becoming careless... Here is my latest, my scanner trashed this one but just imagine all the mid tones and u will see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres an example i did. i tried to emphasise the curvature with the direction of the strokes.

hope you can get something out of it. cheers.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for the help. I hear often that i should follow the muscles and forms with my hatching. I see many examples of it but i cannot seem to find a pattern of how it follows the form... Could anyone please explain this to me? show me how to follow the form? Maybe i am thinking too far into this, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To follow the form with your hatching, you need to spot all the surface musculare and then follow it sideways. Get anatomy books, do muscle studies of the face, of any body parts that you believe you should do (i would do the whole body ) and then we you know them, you'll know how to follow the form with your hatching.
    It will take some amount of time though, what i would also recommend after doing a couple studies is just to look at a flayed out drawing, and then to just try to redo it with hatching only, you'll have the example of the muscles in front of you, so it should make it easier. If you do a few like that, you'll get a quick hang of it, it will be a basic template your brain and your hand will remember and you can tweak it to fit anyone you want.

I saw the flowers die
    grand beauty turn to dust
    under wings of cold white death

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.