Thanks

shutting down limewire?

When you try and exit limewire, it always pops up again, meaning its impossible to shut down and it means that I can't even USE photoshop... which is terrible!, I can't delete it though cause my sis really needs it! and yeah I share a computer i tried google but it brings up links about the downfall of p2p instead I know that a lot of u use it so can you jes simply and quickly give an answer?, or does anyone else have this problem?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    try going though the task manager and ending the process, if you can find it.

Thanks
    if that doesn't work, try kicking your pc.
    Also check it doesn't autostart when connecting the internet/starting windows.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blog
    i tried google but it brings up links about the downfall of p2p instead
    From your thread title, that's what I thought this was about .
    Why exactly does your sister need Limewire? Could she use a different Gnutella client?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    When you close the Limewire window, you'll still have it running in the background, so go to the lower right corner and then right click on the limewire icon and "Exit" it.

Thanks
    Is there more then 1 user on your computer? becuase if it's running on another user it might be doing something wacky.. dunno

Does limewire run when you start up the computer? If you dont know go to
    tools in kazaa: Options: Advance in the menu, then click system startup, disable..

Also I find this program http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx Good for disabling programs and viewing whats what// also for scanning for virus.

Did you download limewire from another site besides limewire? Becuase you could also have a trojan

dunno mate. hope you get it fixed

Thanks
    I had that problem. A simple uninstall / re install cured everything.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    From your thread title, that's what I thought this was about .
    Why exactly does your sister need Limewire? Could she use a different Gnutella client?
    sheeit. Elwell knows his p2p! naughty Elwell

Thanks
    *cough* I saw nothing.

Thanks
    Gilster, my Ctrl Alt Delete doesn'twork anymore so I can't get to the task manger. Interceptor, Well, I've already installed and reinstalled. It didn't use to do that. It only takes about 2 mins to reinstall anyway, so when it needs to be used I'll just reinsatall it. And profil,it aint that simple, cause it always pops back up again on its own. I dunno of a good solution, other than a temporary uninstal

Thanks
    Gilster, my Ctrl Alt Delete doesn'twork anymore so I can't get to the task manger. Interceptor, Well, I've already installed and reinstalled. It didn't use to do that. It only takes about 2 mins to reinstall anyway, so when it needs to be used I'll just reinsatall it. And profil,it aint that simple, cause it always pops back up again on its own. I dunno of a good solution, other than a temporary uninstal
    Have you ever done a full reinstall of everything on that pc? windows, the whole shebang! it sound like your pc has got some nasty stuff on it, propably crawling with spyware and virusses *makes mental not to never accept files from blog*

Thanks
    Is it the keys or the command? Try opening the run command from the Start menu (window key+"r"). type in "taskmgr". Enter.

Thanks
    then it says that 'another program is currently using this file' *scarey* And evil, I don't wanna do that because reinstalling the internet can be tedious! And one of the reasons I haven't installed Norton Antivirus is because its annoying! Meh, the computers fucked

Thanks
    reinstalling the internet can be tedious!
    How do you reinstall the internet?
    And one of the reasons I haven't installed Norton Antivirus is because its annoying!
    And you computer being posessed by demons is not anoying?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL
    it sound like your pc has got some nasty stuff on it, propably crawling with spyware and virusses
    It does rather, doesn't it..

I'd give it a quick hoover with Adaware and/or Spybot if I were you..
    Adaware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    Spybot
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Install, update definitions, run complete scan.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL
    it sound like your pc has got some nasty stuff on it, propably crawling with spyware and virusses
    Yup, and considering the topic of this thread I think its pretty obvious how that happened.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    You (Mac) noticed (Mac) that (Mac), huh (Mac) ? (Mac)
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    You (Mac) noticed (Mac) that (Mac), huh (Mac) ? (Mac)
    Heeeey now, let's not make this into a PC vs. Mac arguement because that isn't going to answer his problem. Not knowing how to do simple maintance on one's computer is going to be an issue no matter what you run on...

Thanks
    U guys are like gurus, if I have any problems, life, art, the meaning of life... jes log into CA and open a well full of advice

Flake: I've just downloaded that, can it get rid of the stuff? or does it just tell you what adware you've got?? its already found 145 critical objects

heeyyyyyy ur making me feel dumb. its not my fault I can only use the left (or right) side of my brain and I'm a retard at maths
    Last edited by blog; March 29th, 2006 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks
    Blog, betwwen them Adaware and Spybot should be able to wipe most unwelcome visitors to your pc, if they don't there's a free Microsoft anti spyware (based on the old Giant Antispy) that should get them out, or you can try these other two free apps.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Word of warning, removing spyware can disable the program that installed it so create a restore point before you cleanup your hard drive just in case.

btw 145 critical objects sounds bad but I've heard of worse most of them are likely just tracker cookies and other low level badness.

For future reference, even if you don't want to install a virus scanner/ firewall ( you should btw) you can run a free online virus scan at trendmicro through your browser.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    If you do want to, AVG and Zonealarm are free, lightweight and reasonably effective Antivirus and Firewall respectively.
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Oh, and if you haven't already, switch to Opera or Firefox for browsing.
    http://www.opera.com/
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

-Flake

Thanks
    For some reason the pen pressure in PS haa gone off. It alwaysgoes off for about 5 secs and then comes back on, but it won't come back on! But it works in Painter?! This is seriously annoying! My computer is f'ed up!! And ending the process in the task manger doesn't change the problem, I've uninstalled Limewire but now an error message keeps popping up every 2 fucking seconds... argh!!

Thanks
    Blog you need to clean your baby out! If removing the spyware and any viruses is not making your programs/hardware run smoothly, then you need to reformat.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Based on everything I'm seeing here, and what little I know about non-macs, your machine definitely needs an enema...and a brain transplant. Total reformat, all new reloads, nothing except what is absolutely necessary transferred (docs in progress.) I had the same thing happen on my old IIX back in the dark ages. Everything had corrupted so badly that nothing/nada was salvageable...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    If yours is anything like most home pcs, the hard disk probably hasn't been defragmented since the day it came out of the box, you might want to give that a go first.

Thanks
    Hey Flake, thanks a lot man! My computer is running smoothly, and adware free... finally! PS is fine and everything is just the way it should be, you rock!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Cool, good to hear you got it sorted.