Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Concept Artist vs. Concept Illustrator

I noticed that some people are credited as a "conceptual artist" and others as a "concept illustrator". Is there a difference?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I prefer the term conceptual illustrator mostly because the term concept artist, within the academic world, means something along the lines of idea driven abstraction. "Conceptual illustrator", I think is a bit more straight forward and does more to imply that the content belongs to an actual narrative.

Thanks
    So there's no real reason for the differentiation between the two on movie or game credits?

Thanks
    perhaps there's a distinction based on how much of a given concept an artist actually provides. with a really complete brief, lotsa detail, like a verbal blueprint, then that sounds more like the art of illustration. if the artist takes a basic concept and develops it in detail well beyond the initial brief, i'd see that as conceptual artistry. still alot of grey area in there, though, it may just be a matter of word choice.
    Last edited by masque; March 28th, 2006 at 12:19 AM.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Thanked 16,681 Times in 5,021 Posts
    with a really complete brief, lotsa detail, like a verbal blueprint, then that sounds more like illustration. if the artist takes a basic concept and develops it in detail well beyond the initial brief, i'd see that as conceptual artistry.
    Yeah, 'cause we all know that illustrators aren't artists.
    (Not directed at you, masque, just sayin'...)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    All illustrators are artists, not all artists are illustrators, right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Yeah, 'cause we all know that illustrators aren't artists.
    (Not directed at you, masque, just sayin'...)
    mmmfrg, grmawmm. urfurgh... (lemme get both feet outta my mouth, please)... better.

most abject apologies, i really worded that badly.

better now?
    Last edited by masque; March 28th, 2006 at 12:19 AM.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    i didnt even think illustrators were human! god knows i never i see daylight, or the.... "outside" is it?

mike

Thanks
    Thanked 11,431 Times in 2,935 Posts
    and to some in the games industry there is a strong difference between illustrators and concept artists...illustrators are thought of as "those who make pretty pictures" and dont know the intricasies of video game production art. (though in my mind concept artists who are not illustrators and only focused on production design...oh i can think of a famous one or two right this second...are those who cant do jack with narrative, storytelling, idea composition/communication etc...).

The games industry calls the job title "concept artist". Film calls it "concept designer". The jobs in film are different in many subtle ways than that of games. For example...in games, a great concept artist is aware of poly counts and poly use and will incorporate these working ideas into their artworks...in film there is no limitation...so what is great in film isnt necessarily great for games....there is a long list there...in my mind, it is actually easier for a games concept artist to move over to the film side than vice versa...though much of the production methods are similar.

funny...illustrators always getting the bad rap!!...though they should never...I love illustration.
    Last edited by Jason Manley; March 28th, 2006 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks
    reminds me of a Brad Holland piece he did -
    It listed all these artist
    graphic artist, tattoo artist, performance artist, escape artist, bullshit artist,
    etc., etc., and it ended with - everyone's an artist except illustrators.
    ? >
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley
    and to some in the games industry there is a strong difference between illustrators and concept artists...illustrators are thought of as "those who make pretty pictures" and dont know the intricasies of video game production art. (though in my mind concept artists who are not illustrators and only focused on production design...oh i can think of a famous one or two right this second...are those who cant do jack with narrative, storytelling, idea composition/communication etc...).

The games industry calls the job title "concept artist". Film calls it "concept designer". The jobs in film are different in many subtle ways than that of games. For example...in games, a great concept artist is aware of poly counts and poly use and will incorporate these working ideas into their artworks...in film there is no limitation...so what is great in film isnt necessarily great for games....there is a long list there...in my mind, it is actually easier for a games concept artist to move over to the film side than vice versa...though much of the production methods are similar.

funny...illustrators always getting the bad rap!!...though they should never...I love illustration.
    so the ideal all fielder concept artist has the ability to create good concepts for film and games with each their own mindset, and to be able to create awsome illustrations. such people must be very rare

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by loomer
    reminds me of a Brad Holland piece he did -
    It listed all these artist
    graphic artist, tattoo artist, performance artist, escape artist, bullshit artist,
    etc., etc., and it ended with - everyone's an artist except illustrators.
    ? >

he he, I saw that too, it's great.
    because even if your shopping for clothes they call it an art, but when they see an illustration they say it isn't art it's illustration, ("They" being the ones that probably don't know how to even hold a pencil, but still feel they need to asert their point of view on the art community because they really have nothing to show for themselves)

reminds me of this time I had to do a movie review for Uni, I got the ticket and went to this little event. when I arrived there, pompas people were standing around smoking sigarettes through long filters sipping champaine and laughing in very fake ways, they wore ugly pintrip pants, mis matched shoes. They wore french hats and I'm sure I saw one holding a little lap dog. I froze in the entrance way, turned around and walked off and through my ticket in the bin.
    I hate those snooty "art" people

I recieved zero for the blank page I handed in for my essay. I argued that my name and date is worth at least 1 mark.

Thanks
    i certainly didn't mean to "bad rap" illustration, it being 25% to 30% of my career workload over a few decades. i always think of "artist" as implied in "illustrator," it goes without saying, or should imo.

seems the different "job titles" have a great deal in common regarding necessary artistic and interpretive skills, and level of craftsmanship, so what it may come down to is the specific nature of the assigned tasks, and, as Jason said, which industry you happen to be working in.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Good topic.

Apologies if this is a crap question... but im wondering...

So how does a production designer differ from a concept artist conceptual illustrator?

I know marc taro has on his site "production design for games"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,431 Times in 2,935 Posts
    marc taro knows production design for games....he is also one hell of an illustrator....and one of the best art directors working in the industry because he knows how to make games and he can paint pretty pictures. he can call himself a power ranger if he wants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast