Thanks

Question Defining myself as an artist

I quit my god awful job at the supermarket chain, my final day last Friday, and have 3 weeks until I get into my next employment (working with teachers and kids at a local school on IT stuff), so I've made it my mission to scrape the rust off my portfolio and just have it looking more modern for my own sake.

I haven't set down any specific goals I want to accomplish as yet, but I've been trying to figure out where I'll be focusing my energies. This is when I became aware that I'm a Jack-of-all-trades. I'm not bad at everything, but not great at anything (that I'm aware of). So I started thinking about what I'm not good at and came up with landscapes and mechanical stuff, though I'd like to explore and strengthen those areas. Learning more "not bad" skills, in otherwords.

I've always had the ambition to work in games; making the cool art that people see and interact with, so that pretty much comes up with animation, 3d modeling, texturing and concepting. I can't seem to figure out though where I fall. The only art I've really had time for this year has been doodling characters and small scenes, and photography. I've noticed I've had a keener eye for photography lately, so I've tossed that in with the mix, potentially even turning that into some money on the side.

Before I turn this into a blog post, I guess I want some advice, and any relatable instances you might have on this all. I don't currently have my site online to gauge perhaps where I should be aiming, but I'll photobucket some stuff if it'll help. Thanks for anything that's offered.
    Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you have experience with IT, I am guessing that you may also have some programming & scripting skills. Why not look into Flash. You can plan out your own game concepts, create your own original artwork then use Actionscript to make it functional. Keep all of your storyboards & developmental concept sketches. These will make excellent portfolio samples and show your thought process.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio