Art: Do you feel pain while drawing?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do you feel pain while drawing?

Do you feel pain in the hand while drawing for a couple of hours? I some times feels that I cannot go on and I have to stop. Maybe I am not holding the pencil right?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Feel pain in my hand after drawing for a while. I think it's a good idea to stop for a hour when that happens cause it just makes drawing more frustrating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never had any pains from drawing, unless i've injured my hand from another activity. Maybe repetitive motion is the reason why? If your starting off drawing could be it, your not use to doing those motions? I have no clue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh i know what you mean, that's why i try not to use pencil crayons when i can help it. you have to cramp the hand to keep pressing hard to do neat, bright colourings.

That's why computers are a great invention

post a picture of you holding the pencil normally so we can see if you're doing it 'wrong'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to do something like the picture "All fingers pulled into a a fist" when I am drawing details. If I hold the pencil like on the first picture I have absolutely no control over my lines!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tomorrow I will post a picture of my pencil grip. Right now I cannot find my digital camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if youre not used to drawing for hours at a time then its natural that you're going to feel cramped... to move your hand it takes muscles, muscles you probably wouldnt use otherwise.. if its a sharp paint that persists, then it could be more serious, but dont be too worried about a fatigue-induced pain..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I did not find my camera but I shot some pictures with my Web-cam. Yeah it is a fatigue induced pain it is not a sharp pain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The answer's right there in Evil's post.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was always taught (but have since returned to "normal" position) to draw with an overhand approach. No pictures to show what I mean... but I'm sure someone around here does.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    OUCH! No wonder your hand hurts. It's painful just looking at the pictures.
    Relax. You don't have to choke the pencil to death. It looks like you're afraid it's going to fly from you hands and stab you if you give it the chance. I guarantee, if you learn to hold your pencil properly, not like an enemy, not only will your hand not hurt, but your drawing will improve dramatically.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ouch looks like your tendon's gonna pop right out of your skin..

believe it or not, most of the control you have on a pencil is between your thumb and middle finger... dont believe me? try holding your pencil without using your first finger, you'll be surprised at the amount of control you still have..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it's painful just looking at it... White knuckles are usually bad news!

If I ever get pain while drawing is because I do cleanup and my muscles aren't used to it anymore. I can get cramps in my palm or forearm because of the extreme precision I need to have but it's just training.
    Be carefull not breaking your tools (hands) !

All the best,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hands of a killer...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, you need to hold the pencil loosly in your hand.. you need to make "love " to it, not rape it lol.. relax your hand, I seriously doubt your able to do any loose or light sketching with a grip like that

Last edited by EVIL; March 27th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah dude, just take relax that hand.. And you might be able to go on for a few more hours easy.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it doesn't matter how you hold the pencil... i've seen the strangest hand positions...
    what matters is to relax and let the pencil flow on paper! Ease up your line... Using a softer pencil will help - 4b-6b... (i belive you are using a b or even hb pencil... and i think that's the killing part - you are fighting the paper!)
    You should be able to drow 10 hours without problems! fast gesturest might help for a start...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually don't hold the pencil like that, I hold it like that only when I do some details. For example if I want to go over a line. How do you refine your lose sketches? For me it is impossible to repeat a line if I don't "choke the pencil to death".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a great tip; try holding another pen/pencil in your other hand, hold it upside down (eraser part downwards, so that you don't get any markings on the paper). Just make sure the pen makes contact with the table/paper. Hold it like a normal pencil.

This will help your right hand get more relaxed.

If it becouse of some placebo-effect or not I don't know, al I do know is that it helps me.

This isn't something I made up myself.

My Sketchbook
    "Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind, the race is long, and in the end, it’s only against yourself."
    Photoshop color picker | Adjusting tablet sensitivity: Manually or Utility

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, relaxing is the key, always works for me. Which, as already stated, makes soft pencils a must.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

This Is What I Was Thinking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Our teacher made us draw with the paper against our chests, and not look at the paper. (mirrors are cheating!)
    Also had us tie the pencil to a longer stick and stand about 4 ft from the paper and draw. Didn't look like much, but everyone relaxed a lot more after.

Batman gives me warm fuzzies

my sketches

my web

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah you are gripping it way too hard. Use the pencil like a brush, not a stick. Well, I have no formal training, I can't say what is the proper way, but from my experience the lighter you do it and the more slowly you build up the better your results are and you will never feel fatigued. Avoid drawing hard, it damages the paper, makes you have to erase harder and that destroys the paper and your drawings will not look good. From the look of your grip, you are drawing way too hard.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, 22 replies in a thread to tell someone how to hold a pencil...on an art forum...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everybody in this thread says that it is a horrible sin to choke the pencil, but recently I have watched a movie in which one professional cartoonist choke the pencil even more than I do. I converted just 7 seconds of the movie into an flash animation. To view it click on this link. Although he is holding the pencil like that he is drawing fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, check out the position of his thumb and compare it to yours in those photos. I swear it looks like your gonna bust a knuckle there.... like it's gonna go all compund fracture on you and poke right out the side of your hand.

I think the best thing you can do is relax your hand a bit... Think of all the good uses for it besides drawing

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan.R
    recently I have watched a movie in which one professional cartoonist choke the pencil even more than I do.
    He's not the one complaining about how his hand hurts, is he?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hmm

Nelson Shanks starts out his drawings/paintings at a full arms length. His arm sticks straight out and he holds the very end of his brush. And he doesnt hold it like a pencil you write with... he holds it more like..... a sword. like a fencer. except more loose and free, not in the palm of his hand.

other artists i know of paint/draw similiarly.

This forces him to stay very loose in the beginning. It also helps you see the whole picture, since youre 4 feet from it, not 4 inches.
    so loosen up man! even if you want to do extremely detailed works, detail isnt done by 'choking' the pencil/brush!

--Keith
    www.lynxerror.com/~spear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey patton art, how are the studies goin?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hey there

Hey Pat,

They're goin, I guess. I actually left Incamminati.

Nelson is a great painter. I've been around some of the best out there today, and he's definately one of the best of the best.

.................But I totally disagree with how he teaches.................

He teaches a 1-2-3 step approach. You dont learn to paint by following a formulaic approach. You learn to paint by understanding ideas, concepts, and philosophies. When you talk with someone like Tony Ryder, Ted Seth Jacobs, or Jacob Collins, they'll talk to you about ideas, and try to get you to see and understand something you'd never think of before. You draw with your mind, not your hand.

Instead, at Incamminati it's more like "ok, draw an armature. Put in the shadow mass. Now erase the lights. Ok, keep moving those shapes around."

There's no focus on draftsmanship. Just quick gestural starts, with is great, but you have to be able to draw something that takes longer than 45 minutes.

They do a ton of quick sketches, which is great.

They also teach an awesome way of doing color studies. That's their best thing. I plan on trying to do color studies daily... we'll see.

Soooo, I'm moving back to NYC to study. I'm still not sure what's going on. I've been talking to a guy who teaches at the New York Academy of Art about being a private apprentice of his. I just know him through friends. This guy studied with Tony Ryder, Jacob Collins, Ted Seth Jacobs, and Steven Assael. Extremely gifted artist, and apparently a good teacher too. But, me apprenticing with him isn't for certain.
    I'm also going to study with Michael Grimaldi some; he studied with Ted and Jake. Dunno if you know him, but he's an amazing amazing amazing draftsman.

Soooooo, my studies are going nowhere for another month. haha. Hopefully everything will work out though. I'm back at home in Pittsburgh for a few weeks (which is why I'm even on... I dont really use my computer now, after everything that happened at Water Street, and just realizing it takes time away from studying).

How about you? Figuring anything out yet?

Oh, uh, sorry that I did a big ol' response on your thread. I guess your question was already answered awhile ago though.

--Keith
    www.lynxerror.com/~spear

Members who have read this thread: 1