"guys who draw guys"- calendar idea (no pun intended, I mean it)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a "males drawing males"-pinup calendar

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELL YEAH!

45 83.33%
  • URGH.. nope...I guess... kinda...

9 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just got a PM from Carniflex, who supported a sick idea I have been stating (thanx, dude) and prompted me to open this thread.

Okay guys, here's the deal:

As some of you folks might have noticed, something big has been brewing in the lounge for the last few days. I'm talking about the "female-artists-only-thunderdome" (http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64096) and the "female artists draw/paint a pinup calendar" (http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64196) projects, both of wich are fantastic ideas in my oppinion.

During the discussions about those projects a thought came to my mind that has been hammering in my head for days now: If the women of CA.org are preparing to give us an insight of their idea of female beauty, why shouldn't the males do the same?

I'm talking about the men of CA.org doing MALE pinups, giving everyone a glimpse of their definition of "sexy men".

Before I go into detail I wanna make something clear:

This is NOT an effort to counteract the original ideas, nor is it intended to prove anything stupid like "male supremacy in art" or provoke outings or other silly kindergarten-thoughts one could come up with - this is JUST FOR FUN!

Be reasonable, folks. We all are old enough not to get stupid ideas like "we're getting back at them females" for no apparent reason and I think we are all open to some new ideas.

Another thing I wanna make clear:

If this idea goes beyond the "poll"- stage, I cannot promise that a calendar like that would actually go to print. I dont know how to to do that... if the idea creates interest, a printed calendar could happen, if not - live with the fact that it'll stay in these forums and in your portfolios.

Okay... now that thats out of the way, lets move on to the details:

What fascinates me about the idea is the "break from the norm"- factor it has. We draw demons, elves, cyborgs, creatures, enviroments, weapons, armours, dinosaurs, anatomy studies and whatnot. Lets face it: most of the picture topics here cover the categories "fantasy" and "science fiction".

Don't get me wrong- I love that stuff, but there's something thats actually missing in a lotta pieces that float around here: a certain kind of deeper personality.
    We get paid to do that kind of stuff or we like to draw "cool" things, but do we show a part of ourselves with those creations? Maybe the topic of our pictures is an indication of how we felt at the moment we drew that depressed skeleton or that crying woman, but its all open to interpretation.

Thats why I thought "Be honest and straight forward with your art, just once!". Throw all homophobic tendencies and misunderstandings aside and ask yourself this:

"What would make a man sexy for me/how would a man look like that I would find sexy?" (not to be mistaken with stupid questions like "wich male would i like to bunk with")

I asked myself this question only a few days ago when the female calendar idea came up (surprised myself actually). The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do a pic like that (it will happen anyways, once I'm through with my current assignment ). Apparently Carniflex had the same thoughts.

I'm pretty curious what kinds of pictures you guys would come up with. I'm not asking you to produce "gay art" or copy those "black and white ripped jeans guy without a tshirt standing at the beach" pinup posters that were on the walls of every girl's bedroom during the late 80's/early 90's, i'm asking you to show everyone here how a sexy man would look like in your eyes.

Long story, short sense: who would be brave enough to "soul strip" a bit and show the CA.org community a bit of your personality through a painted/drawn male pinup?

Let me know...

Cheers,
    Etienne

P.S.: no dongs- wanna keep it tasteful

THE ONES WHO DARE:

Ilaekae (January)
    Zaknafain (Febuary)
    Autarkis (March)
    Dfacto (April)
    Gloominati (May)
    Masque (June)
    FlipMcgee (July)
    Tobin (August)
    Carnifex (September)
    Hyver (October)
    DavePalumbo (November)
    Virusartist (December)

folks that are free to choose a month (if we stick to the month-assignment approach):
    Xpose
    Poshspice
    Simonl (may)
    Darth Massacre
    Slash

are you in or out? still have time to think about it
    Prometheus|ANJ
    Otis
    Jeri

Last edited by VirusArtist; March 30th, 2006 at 02:22 AM.

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmmmm men in thongs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    and to add one last thing: we're not gay.

aight,i voted for it,because the idea fascinates me,and i'm all for "soul strip". i can't tell myself why exactly,but it surely is something i'd like to see happen.
    perhaps collabs aswell? (or like suggested in the women's thread,make two pics for each month)

p.s.: it's carnifex,not carniflex.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heheh, well as a girl, I think it's a lovely idea! I don't think it's a "getting back at chicks" thing at all. Go for it! I'd love to see the end result!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    p.s.: it's carnifex,not carniflex.
    hehe, sorry dude, i'll remember next time..

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd buy it! MMmmmmmm.... men*.

*insert that gurgly sound that Homer Simpson makes when he's thinking about donuts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great idea! i'm down

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes! Beefcake!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Magic, never say "I'd love to see the end result!" when guys are talkin' about drawin' guys...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    Magic, never say "I'd love to see the end result!" when guys are talkin' about drawin' guys...
    My virgin ears!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How does a sexy male look though? I tried to google for sexy males but the results were horrible, then I went into the 4chan Yaoi section, ahmahgawd!

I'd guess the following:

Sad -I'm a vulnerable puppy please come and make me whole- eyes.
    Tall.
    Not too muscular, somewhat slender.
    Defined jawbone.
    Symetry.
    Hair you can ruffle.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a step behind a "Dicks who draw dicks" calendar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd jump on this except that the first ideas that ran through my head were

ripped demon guy coming out of an evil fog
    cyborg zombie
    ninja pirate
    marine
    Fabio

Somehow I think it'd be better without me, even though I dread seing what some of you come up with. I'm not sure this will end well.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sure, why not?

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm in. this sorta parallels part of the gals v guys TD i'd tossed out in another thread. don't expect me hang one on my wall, though -- space is reserved already for the gals' turnout.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    How does a sexy male look though? I tried to google for sexy males but the results were horrible, then I went into the 4chan Yaoi section, ahmahgawd!

I'd guess the following:

Sad -I'm a vulnerable puppy please come and make me whole- eyes.
    Tall.
    Not too muscular, somewhat slender.
    Defined jawbone.
    Symetry.
    Hair you can ruffle.

that question can be answered by only one person- yourself. i'd like to see this not going into the direction of "well, i'll draw a male who fits society's standards of being attractive/sexy", I wanna see pictures with thought and persona behind them. thats the part that actually makes it interesting.

Otherwhise the topic would be more fitting for the CHOW weekly activity (kinda like "brad the pinup model" or something).

I myself dont really know how an attractive man would look like to me (yet).. so far I have judged men's attrativeness (issat a word?) in the style of "that man propably can get any chick he wants the way he looks".

its a real challenge to force somewhat homoerotic thoughts and theories into a heterosexual brain like mine. I dont even have bisexual tendencies to start with, so thinking of a male I would consider truly attractive is like trying to overhaul einsteins relativity theory.

what makes the whole thing even more challenging for me is putting that man from my brain onto paper while incorporating characteristics of a pinup picture.

I'm sure a lot of males have the same problems making up a character like that. summing up all these points could lead to deeper psychiologial truths and better self awareness (both artistically and personally) for those who are willing to participate (with an emphasis on COULD)...

yup.. all in all, this sounds like an experiment

cheers,
    Etienne

P.s.: why the hell do I keep remembering that hippie teacher from "beavis and butthead" when writing such posts??!?!?

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, actually I can't answer the question. I have no clue. I'll go out on a limb and say that the female form is easier for both sexes to appreciate.

Just like dfacto, the only male charactes I can think of is zombies, knights, rambo, little fat killer clowns... maybe it's hard to sexualize the male form without making them look like babyoiled sissies glistering in the sun.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess thats no problem at all. since this is a calendar idea, theres always october (halloween), so a knight or a rambo-like character is a good idea to start with.

for instance: when you think about rambo, you already have an idea of the pose, the setting, the outfit and the style of the character.
    all you need to do then is to apply things you like about women (NOT tits and ass ;P ) and leave out things you DONT like about men. maybe apply characteristics you like about yourself and you're halfway there.

and if all fails: ask a female about what they like about men visually and focus ont h points you can agree on.

speaking of months in general: what months do you guys want to represent?

cheers,
    Etienne

Last edited by VirusArtist; March 27th, 2006 at 11:24 AM.

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm... Really cool idea guys. I'd do it!

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in, but t's gonna have to be off in the distance. I'm booked solid for at least 6 weeks. Is this going to be a long-term project? If so, I'll take a month, preferably not in te oil-stained thongy summer months...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in. I'll do a man...Ack! <cough, cough> I'll draw a man

Can I do a hot summer month like July? If it hasn't been taken yet.

I prefer drawing chicks most of the time but here's my manliest man sample for your consideration of my qualification.

after Boris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as far as i'm concerned, there wont be a tight deadline (gotta work too and wanna make this pic a good one). I've set the poll to 2 weeks (i think.. my memory isnt the best)

after the poll is closed (lets see how this is turning out), the fun starts.

I think its best to let evryone take their time with their pic until the number of 12 finished,high quality pieces is reached and then post the stuff in a thread in the finally finished section.

if a deadline becomes necessary (if the number goes beyond 12) i'll set a generous one based on your suggestions - i dont wanna interfere with anyone's scedules

if there's more than 12 peeps joining in I will use the chick's calendar suggestions as orientation in terms of layout, months assigned etc.

cheers,
    Etienne

P.s.:Flip- no prob

Last edited by VirusArtist; March 27th, 2006 at 11:25 AM.

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *hugs VirusArtist*

I love you, sir.

It is NOT about "what I think a woman thinks is sexy." If you guys go that route, you'll end up with something ugly. I disagree that "female form is easier for both sexes to appreciate." I think men are culturally not allowed to appreciate the male form. My straight, artistic male friends know a lot about what makes a man "sexy," much in the way my straight, artistic female friends do about other women.

(No dongs? DAMMIT! XP)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by VirusArtist
    as far as i'm concerned, there wont be a tight deadline (gotta work too and wanna make this pic a good one). I've set the poll to 2 weeks (i think.. my memory isnt the best)
    Thats enough time for me. I'm in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's it, I cant take it any longer. My kind will not sit idly by.

I'm going to start a "Guys in Robes and Wizard Hats who draw guys in Robes and Wizard Hats" Calendar.

WHOS WITH ME??

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, i'm in. I'll just have to challenge myself to think up something other than evil robots.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm calling dibs on october!

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be up fer this if the deadline was yonks away. October would be groovy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do women find sexy about men hmmmm.

just draw a fat wallet sitting in a nice car.

if it's a chick from CA then throw in a couple marker pens and a wacom in the trunk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, damn funny but cool idea
    yeah I'm in!!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.