C.O.W. - #040: Noseeum

Round #040

Topic:
    Noseeum

Deadline:
    Saturday, 01st April 2006

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, ok you want to know what a noseeum is?

Noseeum
    Noseeums are creatures that exist when you're not looking directly at them, invisible when you do...

Thank you very much Gloklund for this topic...where are you maaaaaaannn???

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
    - No individual Character! Design a species!
    - if not obvious post a description of your concept!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, what a great topic, I don't think I can pass this one up.

We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgive me for nitpicking, but how do you draw something noone can see? Regardless of that it still sounds like a nice challenge. I'll give this one some thought ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    come on...of course you are supposed to draw the creature when it's present in appearance...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. It could be sort of like looking at something in the dark. The cones in your retina which see color are arranged in the middle. The rods which see value are arranged more towards the edges. In near darkness, where almost no color and only subtle differences in value are reflected off objects, if you look directly at them, you can't see them, but if you look out of the corner of your eye you can start to see shapes. In the movie Silence of the Lambs, near the end, when the killer has shut off all the lights in his basement and watches Jodie Foster's character through the night vision goggles, that's what she's trying to do: navigate the dark basement with her peripheral vision.

Of course, that's an attempt at creating an analogy based in a real world phenomenon. Could just be magic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh I was almost hoping after not being able to make the last one that this one would be an easier topic. No luck there I guess though. I mean there aren't any descriptive words to go along with this creature at all, just a name that doesnt really help in the process. I mean think of it this way. If the creature is unable to be seen when you look at it or perhaps it makes itself that way when you look at it then does it really matter at all what it looks like? It could be a pink wombat that shoots pixie sticks out its ass and you could simply say that it can turn invisible in the description of it, seems kinda sketchy to me. This is almost like that one CoW entitled Freestyle where everyone was allowed to do anything. This topic is so open ended that its much more difficult than a topic with lots of specifications. Id say since we are only provided with the least amount of details possible that we have to show some aspect of them. Therefore the creature has to be shown either phasing into invisibility or exhibiting how it makes itself invisible. Otherwise like I previously stated its just a make anything week and there wont be any cohesive theme behind the creatures at all. Who knows? Im just throwing these concerns out there to see what people think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This will be intesting

Last edited by Lady Medusa; March 30th, 2006 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, this will be interesting...but for some reason I can't help thinking of Luigi's Mansion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now ladies and gentlemen....drumroll please.......BRAINSTORM (insert thunder sound effect). Ah yes it must be that time again. When I do my small part to grease the wheels of creativity and get the art train rolling, choo choo all aboard bitches. Alright so like I previously stated, not an easy topic to work with. When you get right down to it this project names the creature and gives a sentence fragment concerning what it does. Not much to work with. However that wont stop alot of you and if I have time (doubtful) it wont stop me either. Ok so to begin with we are dealing with a creature that works outside the normal laws of nature. It puts chameleons to shame. Now this creature can be any size really but since it is still in existence even when its invisible I highly doubt it would be very large. If something is big enough someone would run into it and discover it regardless of its cloaking ability. So I would say in terms of scale dont make this thing very large, maybe about 5 ft. tall at the most. Remember this is a creature who is named for its ability to escape discovery so everything about it needs to promote stealth, big creatures are not stealthy. When thinking about the overall appearance of the creature take into consideration some animals here on the planet earth that are stealthy. What makes them so elusive and how do they remain hidden? Also take into consideration that this creature has to be aware of its surroundings at all times to avoid being seen by anyone or anything. So it will have to have extremely good vision and some mechanism with which it can view every concievable angle around it quickly. Now then of course the most important part of this little animal is how it achieves invisibility. It can be through any number of abilities. Perhaps its magical and its an innate ability. Or maybe the creature is highly advanced and it possesses a tech-based cloaking ability. Or it could simply vanish through some specialized organic means, such as light bending mechanisms within its skin. Who knows? The possiblities for this are endless because of how open ended it is. Another thing to consider is that the Noseeum will have to have extremely fast reflexes. It only takes a few seconds to turn your head and within those few seconds the Noseeum has to be able to hide itself, once again leading me to believe that this should be a small and speedy animal. For whatever reason when I hear the name I think of things like little goblins or gnomes, just sounds like a name I heard once before in a book of mythical creatures. In reality Noseeums are actually very small mosquito like insects that exist in cloud like swarms near streams and lakes. Maybe the creature could have an insect-like quality to it and tie in with its real life counterpart, just something to consider. I already have my idea for this thing, not sure if I like it but its a start. As always good luck all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know again, out of simple real world examples, there's an animal I read about called the owl monkey. They have the kind of rod based retinal vision I was talking about before but throughout their whole eye. And they are completely 100% nocturnal. In fact, if their eyes were exposed to daylight, they would go blind. It's a jumping off point. I was also reading about stealth technology. There are techniques they use for plain visible light and not just radar... like painting the ship a camoflague grey and then internally lighting it's corners and undercuts so it doesn't cast shadows on itself, rendering it invisible when looked at directly.

I think there are interesting points of departure with this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nexus- I really appreciate the time you put into laying out your thoughts for these. I do like the idea of this thing being a smaller being instead of some overgrown monstrosity trying to eat people when the people don't see it. It's makes a whole lot of sense with it being evasive and stealthy. I think the biggest question we might want to ask ourselves is why does it not want to be seen? Does it want to be invisible so it can study other species, evade them, or sneak attack on them, or does it use it's invisibility to possibly steal from other creatures too. I think using its powers to definitely evade something stands for all of these, but I think it can also have another agenda to it. What would you do if you were invisible?

Fozzybar- I might have to figure this one out on my own but...If I was say looking at a mirror and one of these creatures were behind me, would I still be able to see it in the mirror since I'm not looking at it directly?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a really good question Trashy. Maybe thats the only way you can catch a Noseeum.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by imp_pixel
    damn, this will be interesting...but for some reason I can't help thinking of Luigi's Mansion
    I was thinking of the ghosts from mario too. The ones that come after you until you look at them and they stop.

This does sound interesting. The variables are open ended. The verbage alone is subject to manipulation. They only "exist" when you arent looking at them. "Invisible" when you look at them. Invisible, for example. Are they invisible as in not able to be seen? Invisible as in disguised? Lots of fun to be had

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashy
    Fozzybar- I might have to figure this one out on my own but...If I was say looking at a mirror and one of these creatures were behind me, would I still be able to see it in the mirror since I'm not looking at it directly?
    It's up to your own imagination with waht concept you come up with...as long as the definition is that your creature can't be seen when you look at it but it shows when you don't look at you can handle the mirror thingie as you want...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking of utilizing a mirror too--the scene in the movie Nightwatch really stands out as a way to make that work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i m in...!!!

you wont belive this...

in an argentinian forum.. the winners of the 2 weeks activitie put the new topic por the next round.. and my proposition was..

"creature that appears when the ligths go out"

what the f#$"CK?? its very similar!! hoho awesome..

i have to do this COW yes or yes!!

sorry about my poor and bad bad english!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    count me in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ARACUBUS
    hehe, that's funny...curious to see your entry!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here what I have so far. The Noseemees are little goblin like creatures, who are completely harmless and very shy. They like to show off their courage to each other by showing how close they dare to fly up to a human! Of course, as soon as the human turns around, they'll chicken out and quickly turn invisible!

Crits very welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy speddy noseeum

o.k here is my FINAL

www.michamachtlos.de

The Noseeme: when you look at the creature you just see something flashing; so you don't see the creature! The cresture has highly sensitive ears, as soon as they recognize something, the creature starts to flash. sorry for my shitty english!!

Last edited by michamachtlos; March 30th, 2006 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha I like that Dragon4lunch. Thats pretty close to what my first thought was when I imagined these little things. Good work and I cant wait to see it tightened up and completed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a great picture dragon! Really fun colors and mood. Just a hair more polish and this is really an amazing piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well....this IS an interesting topic, isn't it?! perhaps some of the previous cow entrants will come back - gloklund, bumskee, scumgrinder, etc.
    great entries so far!
    cheers,
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Nah...

Yes! This is my time. Time for something... nah, I don't won this, because of Jakkas, Mike, Scumgrinder, Fozzy and much more, but topic is great anyway. Why I wrote this? Becauce I must be faster than other - I reserve the 'Sockeater' for this topic...
    Ok, I change my idea a little...

Scumsumlum - Scums is the answer for the biggest question in the universe... What the hell is going with pairs of socks... how many socks you lost in your life? No one, beacause the Scums thief it, and build a nest form stealed socks in the darkest places in your house. Why you can't see them? Hm, do you see a lamp on his nose? This little thing produce something like 'Invicible Field' that cover the Scums when someone try to see them. They are harmless little creatures, but stole a lot of socks and create myths around this proceder...

Last edited by Saise; March 30th, 2006 at 01:50 PM.
    -- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dragonforlunch- looking pretty cool so far, try to work out the part where he's disappearing making him look detailed but transparent with a bit of that motion u look like ur going for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Noseeum

Noseeums are an incredibly curious species that have always co-existed with man. While their purpose is unknown, some believe the creatures are God's eyes; eternally watching over the world. It was only in the 24th Century that their presence was confirmed and consequently exploited by the Global Domain.

The GD is a world-wide government organisation that captures and equips these creatures with surveillance masks before releasing them back into the community. By exposing these creatures to strong electromagnetic fields their natural camouflage can be temporarily subdued, allowing scientists to work with them in clear view. The sheer number of Noseeums available allows for almost all city regions to be observed with a mass visual link-up to GD facilities.

Noseeums' commercial use ranges from hazard assessment to early crime detection.

Last edited by Simon Boxer; April 2nd, 2006 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great designs so far
    Cognition > i really like your concept and idea, maybe u need to refine and finish the pic a bit more.

Lewis

Last edited by Lewis; March 30th, 2006 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cognition: That concept is pretty original I like it !!

Maybe i will join cow... never don it.

cheers R3M

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.