Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    something i did during a crit at uni. was supposed to be paying attention. had to get badger to help me with the bottom of the figure (unreferenced i might add, the first time i've ever tried that properly). ta josh.

James' Sketchbook 15-11-2009

could someone please tell me what's wrong with the figure. perhaps do a quick sketch over it to prove a point. i've spent so much time looking at it that im all confused and dazed. and dispondant.

some hands

Last edited by james; March 27th, 2006 at 05:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Just having a look at that 'rebel' stuff... I like the idea, but the circle around the thing is rather heavy handed... kinda like saying a pun with MAJOR EMPHASIS... it spoils it!!! If you were to do those images... and maybe make the beer can a colour... like red or something...then write the tagline in red. Link the two using colour... rather than a bloody great "LOOK HERE!!!!!!" sign.

Just think that would add subtlty to a good idea and make it far more effective. Overstating can ruin a concept.

Cool stuff

"Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Ta for the advice and you're right, it is a over stated. but to be honest it was a project for foundation course and i don't think i can be bothered to edit them, due to an overwhelming amount of outstanding work for uni.

Thanks for the post, i shall bare it in mind for future projects.

J

Thanks

Thanks
    sorry. haven't been drawing for a few days. was in a tizzy about a project i had to do for uni. I'll let y'all see one of the final posters cos you've all so nice to me. but the other one is not for show. its pants. and boring. not that this is really interesting. but it met the brief and is less boring than the other one. yeah.

its in the style of david foldvari if anyones interested or puzzled. oh and and the figure is unreferenced. (woo for unreferencedness(no flag for unreferencedness i notice))

J

Thanks
    more sketchybook stuff. haven't posted so there's a fair amount here. or at least for me there is.

sketch i did in london on the meet.

sketchling made me draw cubes

faces and suchlike

random stuff and things

thats all for now, many crits please.

J

Last edited by james; May 25th, 2006 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Damn!!!! You are so provin the cubes theory!!! Just look at the difference between these last few faces and the one in post 14... You are thinking in volume and 3d form. When ya think in volume, you can render volumes and everything becomes possible.

That skull is awsome. Damn. You learn fast!!! Keep at it!

Oh, and with hands, remember the knuckles form an arc...they are never in a line Hands are a muthabitch.

My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    so true. also, been training myself to draw with one line rather than many furry lines. so much harder than it sounds. grr.

Thanks
    Good stuff, James. Your hand sketches are improving drastically!! Same goes for the faces. Hmm, maybe I should do some cube studies....

When shading in pencil, try using a softer pencil (anything with a B on the end) to really bring out the darker areas, as they're looking pretty faint atm.

Have fun~

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Face

i need help with this. heeelp.

J

Thanks
    Hey dude

Right...to draw the figure from yer head, there are a few aspects to keep in mind..I think dealing with, and learning these aspects seperatly will speed up ones ability to draw figures. Im kinda working on this theorty so bear with me

1) Gesture and acting. In animation, they learn to draw a simple stick gesture...teach your brain how to understand the pose and make a stick figure ACT with life. For this step, forget anatomy, forget form, forget everything but the gesture of the person. you can draw a figure in 20 seconds like this. Have a look at these slightly more advanced examples..this guy is good!!! His book might be worth getting. http://www.vilppustudio.com/quicksketch.htm

2) Once you can act a simple stick figure and make it have emotion, fight, dance etc then give it some 3d form. simple to start off...a bunch of spherical ovoids and boxes would be fine. If ya cant draw the simplified forms by themselves in perspective the figure will be maddeningly confusing...break it down and it can be learned FAST. then as that becomes easier, bring on a bit of simplified human anatomy... Have a look at hogarths book on dynamic figure drawing... its very styalised, but a great learning tool. Learn about the big forms of the body and how to draw them in perspective.... since you will already be pretty good with gestures at this point hopefully, the forms will have something to cling to. You wont be trying to learn acting, posing and anatomical form drawing at once!

3) Drawing from a life model... At this point, its best to just observe and draw what you see... the other steps should be just in the back of your head helping you understand the forms and gesture. You are just stocking up your knowledge of the subtleties of anatomy. Drawing from life can help you go beyond the formulas you will end up in JUST draw from yer head.

Yeah... gestures for acting, forms to understand the volumes of the body and life drawing to refresh your memory and learn anatomy. tackle each one seperatly and I think figures can be learned pretty fast. That is the approach im taking anyways!!!

My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    cheers soooo much Sketchling, maany many thanks for the advice. will take it to heart.

a couple of days worth of vectoring away in between working. not the way to go, but there we are. feeling rough as hell too.

it's a requested birthday present for the girl in the pic.

edit: made some changes after badger made his crits (below)

J

Last edited by james; May 25th, 2006 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    Right.. well...
    I'd put the hair in front of the sign, stretch the canvas out a bit to acomodate.
    Push the values on her clothes.
    And lower the saturation on some parts, they are almost all pushing the +50%. Making no real focal point, do something with the red...
    The lying guy is good, nice masses but no relation to where the joints are, use a mirror for quick, great reference, or darren.
    Great progress mate.
    Hope all is well downstairs.
    -B-

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.