WIP - Raging Knight
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP - Raging Knight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP - Raging Knight

It's been a while since I posted anything new around here... but this guy's particularly appropriate since he started life as a sketch in Groover's sketch-trade activity thread. The other night I really needed to get away from work and wedding plans and drawing stuff for other people, and do something that's purely for my own fun... no deadlines or art directors.

Besides, doesn't every fantasy artist need at least one "wading through the battlefield" pic?

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow, he seem to have fun
    love the progress..
    I dont know if you have a tablet, but I Would look forward to
    se it digital!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yo

yo thats a sweet drawing!!! nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking sweet, Colin. The main composition is working, but it's encounter some resistance. You've got this errant rhombus (his left arm, the sword, that spear, his shoulder line). It's drawing away from the focus. If it were to perhaps point more toward his left sholder, it might diffuse some of that. And in so doing, you'd need to move the flying tip, as well. It would probably help more if it were lower a smidgen and rotated 90 degrees (either way).

Nice energy, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this a lot, especially how its main action is fully tonal and has a nice range of values, while the background is more linear and "incomplete"--but still well defined and graceful. The one nit-pick I have is that the guy on our right has a design on his armor that might not follow the angle of his armor... or else the angle of his armor's neck isn't quite right. It's one or the other. I'm a sucker for this subject matter, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great, I personally can't see anything wrong with it atm.

I particularly liked the way you positioned the broken bits of weapons - seems appropriate to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Dile & darkshock15 - thanks again! at some point this piece may go digital... either just color or as a full-on paintover. That would be experimenting on my part though and not likely to happen soon.

Tim - good catch man! You really get into the analysis of a composition. I'm a bit more intuitive there, but I could tell something felt off with that flying spearpoint. (It also breaks the line of the main figure's gaze.) This was a case of me being so sure that the spearpoint just had to be there, I ignored what it was doing to the general composition... which is "nothing good". I definitly want to keep it in the picture, but I'll figure out a better positioning for it.

AthenaEowyn - another good catch! I think the neckline is right but the scrolly design element is crooked. Of course this is a work in progress, so the background will certainly get worked up some, but I will probably leave in a fair amount of "atmospheric perspective" so it's not all going to be rendered to death.

JERI - thanks, I've been told I have a knack for illustrating broken, flying fragments... I think dogfood has a valid compositional issue with that spearhead though, even if the positioning feels right in terms of physics.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.